5 days in Eastern Europe over Christmas

Oct 29th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

5 days in Eastern Europe over Christmas

Hi,

I'm new to the Fodor's Talk but I've been reading the posts for ages.

This winter (Dec '07) we will be traveling -- a father and son, age 17 -- to Eastern Europe to visit friends living in Warsaw. For five or six days beforehand, however, we would like to visit a different city or two. Prague is currently our top choice, but we are open to suggestions. We don't mind the cold and walking around outside; nothing too museum-centric, but we would like to catch a classical music concert and are generally interested in history.

Would it be too hard to fit two cities into this short time period? We were thinking we might take a train from Prague to see Vienna, Budapest, or Krakow. Krakow works well because it is then just a short train ride to Warsaw.

Our trip will include Christmas day, so we'd like to take into account which cities would be the best to spend Christmas in.

Let me know what sounds like it could work... keep in mind we're open to suggestions outside the ones I've listed as well, though we'd prefer not to go to Italy or France this winter.

Thanks!
Oct 30th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Hey, just thought I'd move this up a bit.
We'd really appreciate any suggestions on the topic, thanks.
Oct 30th, 2007, 07:38 PM

I've only been to Krakow of the cities you mentioned, and it's a perfect fit with a trip to Warsaw. We had about four days there and could have stayed even longer, but we were there in the summer, so it was easy to spend alot of time just wandering around the lovely city and the Planty, in addition to specific sightseeing.

If you find that the other cities are too far afield, you could also head to Zakopane in the mountains outside of Krakow. We didn't make it there, but I would have loved to have gone there.

I hope you will get more replies from people who have been to more of your prospective stops!
Oct 30th, 2007, 09:44 PM

don't forget in parts of eastern Europe "Christmas day" is January 6th.

So you may either miss Christmas or experience it twice.
Oct 31st, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I didn't know that about Christmas. That's a good point, thanks (we'll miss it if it's January 6).

As of now we're still leaning towards Prague, but perhaps Krakow will be better.

Would five days in either Prague or Krakow be doable (in winter)? And again, could we combine the two?

Thanks for the help so far!
Oct 31st, 2007, 06:32 AM

Hi.. Actually I believe that January 6 is the Feast of Ephinany. (The day the 3 kings actually reached the baby Jesus). If I am not mistaken the Orthodox Russians are the ones who celebrate "Christmas" on that day.

As for Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Dec 25 and 26 is their Christmas. I don't know about Poland.

Vienna is beautiful at that time of year, the decorations are amazing. But very very crowded.

Budapest is also amazing. The Christmas markets are plentiful, but the crowds are a lot less. The locals all take the bus over to Vienna.

Most places will close early on the 24th. Not open on the 25th, maybe open the 26th.

Whichever the choice, it will be beautiful.
Nov 27th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Where are you entering Europe? I suggest Berlin. Berlin is now a 'must see' destination. Warszawa is just 'down the road'.
Nov 27th, 2007, 07:42 AM

On tripadvisor.com's Prague forum, local experts (living there), often say Christmas market itself is much better in Dresden, Germany that is about 2 hours train ride, half way to Berlin, so a day trip is possible if you decide to stay in Prague.
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

We are now doing a city break in Vienna before moving on to Warsaw. Thanks for your help.