Transpennine Express-Ticket/No Seat Res

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This has BEEN a learning experience in more ways than one!

After buying the tickets from Edinburgh Waverley (the VirginTrains site) to the Manchester Airport (where we will rent a car) yesterday I am without (yet) seat reservations.

Transpennine's website tells me that seat reservations usually aren't available until about three months out and that is understandable.

We will be arriving in Edinburgh a full three days prior to the train trip to Manchester and I was going to retrieve the tickets out of the machine but am wondering if I should try to do so at a ticket window and if that person can make the seat reservations.

The last thing I want is to not have anywhere to sit or to have to take a later timing(currently we will leave around 8:00AM on a direct no change timing.

Regardless, I am stuck with this until that three days prior opportunity. Should I eve worry? CAN I even retrieve the tickets at the window vs the machine?

Thanks.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<i>Transpennine's website tells me that seat reservations usually aren't available until about three months out and that is understandable.</i>

Cheap train tickets aren't normally available until around 3 months (actually maximum of 12 weeks) in advance and the seat reservations come with them.

I'm somewhat confused as to why you are travelling to Manchester Airport to rent a car, given you say "we" it would have been cost effective to rent from Edinburgh which would allow you to pass through the Lake District on the way south
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm aware that seat reservations "come with them" but that is not my question.

I'm not going to discuss my itinerary choices.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 01:17 PM

<<CAN I even retrieve the tickets at the window vs the machine?>>

yes of course you can (take your booking reference)

<<[can] that person can make the seat reservations.>>

yes as well, providing all the seats haven't been booked otherwise you will have to stand.

Though if you have been sensible and booked an Advance ticket (which comes with a seat reservation) then there's nothing to worry about. But from what you have written it seems you have bought another type of ticket without a seat reservation.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

I have bought an Advance Ticket and it is TOO EARLY to buy ANY ticket which "comes with" a seat reservation so even that Advance Ticket doesn't yet HAVE the seat reservation.

How many TIMES do I need to repeat that?

Thank you for your information regarding what the window agent can and cannot do.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 02:18 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
dotheboyshall and sofarsogood - you'll learn. I did after being slapped several times
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 02:21 PM

Don't get your knickers in a twist

In your original post you DID NOT state that you had bought an Advance ticket only that you had bought a ticket without a seat reservation i.e. a ticket in advance - do you UNDERSTAND the difference?

Do lighten up - you are a bit of a grump aren't you?
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 02:21 PM

ha ha Janis yes I know
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 03:22 PM

Oh don't be like that dukey

I'll race you up Arthur's Seat - last one up buys lunch

Enjoy Edinburgh
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 08:39 AM

I'm guessing you may have fallen into the 'trap'.

3 months out, megabucks Off-Peak and Anytime tickets can go on sale even before reservations open, because they have unlimited availability, they are not tied to any quota in the reservations system.

A week or two later, reservations open and cheap Advance tickets go on sale, availability at each price level controlled by a quota in the reservations system.

If you haven't got a reservation, then you haven't got a cheap Advance ticket.

Now, a reality check. The train may have 300 seats on it, 35 might be reserved, the other 265 unreserved. Just sit where you like!! It is soooo not a problem unless on Xmas Eve, or on the first off-peak departure from London on a Friday night to a major city, you get the picture.

And you can ask for a seat reservation any time up to a few hours before departure, no problem.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 10:58 AM

I agree. Advance tickets I have purchased always allocate me a seat when I purchased them 3 months out. Anytime tickets have no seat reservations because you can jump on any train at anytime, whereas Advance tickets are only for the assigned train and seat that you have on your ticket.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 05:11 PM

Dukey

Bear with me on this one. I had to book around 6 months before a trip also to Manchester Airport but from Glasgow (also using the Virgin website). The journey was with Transpennine. I did this deliberately early as I now need a chair to get about and find 1st class a wee bit easier for me.

It was all done online and the same thing happened to me – no reservations. I called Virgin who checked and told me they were not yet available for the service. The helpful lady told me to call around 3 months before the trip when they should be there and they could do it then for me. All I needed was the booking reference. This I did and the seats were reserved. I had to take my booking reference and the card I used for the ticket purchase to the ticket office at the station and they printed them out for me. I did that on the day of the call to Virgin but was told it could be done up until a few hours before departure.

The same young lady gave me a link about all of this, the number to phone etc and I feel sure an email address so if you can give me a bit of time I hope I can find it for you.

Bill
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 05:35 PM

Found it. Scroll down to paragraph 5, Dukey. I can't now see an email address but there is a phone number. They also now have a 'live chat' button so there's a few options for you.

http://trainsupport.custhelp.com/app...RyU3Vjbg%3D%3D

Bill