Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

5 DAYS IN BARCELONA AND ENVIRONS--NEED QUICK ITINERARY ADVICE!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 07:28 AM
MC

My husband and I will be going on a two-week trip to Spain in a couple of weeks. We had originally planned to do a week in Spain and a week in Morocco, but recently decided that in light of the current state of world affairs, we will scrap the Morocco plans and make it there another day.. So now I am trying to figure out the last week of so of our time in Spain. Here are the plans thusfar: <BR> <BR>Arrive in Madrid (3 days/3 nights) <BR> <BR>AVE to Cordoba (lunch, sightsee, rent car, drive to Jaen (spend night in parador) <BR> <BR>Drive to Granada (1 night), Seville (3 nights) and Malaga (1 night) <BR> <BR>After Malaga, we were going to Morocco. Now, we will take overnight train to Barcelona, arriving on a Monday morning. Here is where I need help. We depart at noon on the following Saturday so we essentially have 5 nights and 5 days in the area. I was thinking we would do 3 nights in Barcelona, then rent a car and drive up the coast to Tossa de Mar-- we want to see the beaches and coast of Costa Brava area but unfortunately do not have the time to travel too too far from Barcelona given our time contraints-- I was thinking of spending our 4th night (after 3 in Barcelona) in Tossa or Aigua Blava. <BR> <BR>Then, on the 5th day, where should we go? Remeber, we need to end up being about an hour or so away from barcelona airport for our flight home on the 6th day (Saturday). HELP!! <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Maribel

MC, <BR>I'd encourage you to go further up the Costa Brava, even beyond Tossa to the Aiguablava-Calella-Pals-Begur area, which we find much more attractive, less touristy (fewer concrete highrises, fast food joints, T-shirt shops), still *relatively* unspoiled, prettier environs and beautiful vistas. We enjoy the friendly, family run Hotel Aiguablava (www.lugaresdivinos.com) right on the cove, or there's the modern, somewhat sterile Parador right across the water. I've also read a lot lately about the El Far de Sant Sebastia (www.lugaresdivinos.com)in neighboring Llafranc-same owners as the more exp. Relais Chateaux Mas Torrent in Pals. Or for a splurge, you might enjoy the Old World luxury resort, Hostal de la Gavina (host to royalty and celebs in its heyday) in S'Agaro (see www.lagavina.com), although the area surrounding it is in the midst of a condo building frenzy. <BR> <BR>For your fifth night, I'd like to recommend a very green, beautiful, wonderfully restful area not often visited by foreign tourists, just about an hr. from Barcelona (only 48 miles)-the Parque Natural de Montseny. The mineral water town of Viladrau, in the heart of the park, is pristine and quite pleasant, filled with elegant turn of the century homes. We've enjoyed the family run Hotel de la Gloria, and the 3 star Xalet La Coromina (www.innsofspain.com) is also very nice and has fine dining. Or for something still in the Nature Reserve of Montseny but a bit closer, you might enjoy the larger Husa Hotel Sant Bernat, in Montseny itself (although we prefer the pretty town of Viladrau). See it at www.lugaresdivinos.com or www.simply-trvel.com <BR>Karen Brown's Charming Inn Guide of Spain recommends the Hotel Aiguablava and the Hostal de la Gavina (www.karenbrown.com) <BR> <BR>While the fortress/castle Parador of Cardona is in a dramatic spot, we found it rather isolated, and it wouldn't be on your direct route back down the coast from Aigublava to Barcelona(www.parador.es or www.karenbrown.com) <BR> <BR>Hope this gives you some ideas. <BR>Maribel

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Maribel

MC, <BR>Make that www.simply-travel.com

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 10:30 AM
lili

just wanted to add - consider a daytrip to toledo/segovia while in madrid

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 07:14 AM
MC

Maribel-- Thank you, thank you, thank you for your thoughtful ideas. We are reserved for 4th night @ Hotel Aiguablava. I am working on the 5th night in Montseny. Thanks again for your great help! MC

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 12:47 PM
kim

Hotel de la Gavina is fabulous!! Please go if you can fit it in.