5 Days drive Geneva to Berlin August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next August (2014) I will have 5 full days to drive between Geneva and Berlin. Wanted to get suggestions on routing, sites, and stopovers between the two.

I think I can pick up part of the Romantic Road towards Wurzburg and then head northeast via Leipzig. Also sort of interested in the area near Cologne and making a loop to the west and north. Have time for one but not both.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 03:01 PM

Here is a rough outline, mostly autobahns. These routings may have some "give" for you to take some nearby detours. If the outline appeals, let me know and I'll add some suggestions.

Genweva - Fribourg - Bern - Thun - Interlaken - Sustenpass (very pretty) - Altdorf - Schwyz - Autobahn A-3 to Autobahn A-13 to exit for Bregenz (Austria). Bregenz - Lindau - A-96 north-east to Munich. Munich - Autobahn A-9 (going north) to Autobahn A-72 (near Hof); A-72 to A-4 to Dresden. From Dresden A-73 to Berlin. Overall, not quite the shortest, but the more scenic route.

Overnights? Thun or Interlaken (you want to do Sustenpass next morning, but you could easily take train to go up to Jungfraujoch if you add a night) ). Munich - perhaps near airport. Dresden (spend a couple of nights there) From Dresden to Berlin gives you some extra time to see one or two of the historic cities along the Elbe river.

Get ypourself some good road maps.

Incidentally,what do you plan to do with your car in Berlin.?. Remember, dropping off a car in one country (Switzerland)and dropping it off in another (Germany)can be quite costly.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 04:12 PM

From Würzburg to Berlin you might be interested in parts of my trip report from last summer; click on my name to find it.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Michael - very helpful.

treplow - have not gotten as far as pricing one-way car rentals yet. If the cost was too high due to crossing the country border, would either look at a train from Geneva to some point in Germany, or perhaps returning the car in Basel and catching a train to the nearest place I can pick up a car in Germany.

I had the option to connect from Geneva to someplace in Germany (i.e. Frankfurt) on our frequent flier awards. But thought my wife would enjoy seeing parts of Switzerland even if it creates an extra long day of driving (I spent several weeks in Switzerland two decades ago, but she has never been).
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 03:44 PM

Hmmmmm! I’m trying to give you’re a solution so that your wife can see some of Switzerland, yet you can drop off your Swiss rental and easily pick up a German car. When I travel the route Munich – Zuerich, I usually take my Geman rental car to Konstanz , drop it off there and take the train to Zuerich.
You could do the revese: If there is a car-drop on the Swiss side of Konstanz (Kreuzlingen ??) or drop the car off in Zuerich and take the train to Konstanz. Pick up the German car in Konstanz (I always use Gemut in Seattle as my consolidators for my German car rentals . You can read up on them on the Germany forum of TripAdvisor.) From outside Konstanz – Altmandorf you then can take the car ferry across to Meersburg, a delightful castle town, drive along the north shore of Lake Constance ( highway B-31) to Lindau (worth another sightseeing stop) and then head on the Autobahn to Munich, etc.