5 day London Itinerary

Jan 13th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

5 day London Itinerary

Hi,
I am going to be in London from August 5th for 5 days and would be interested in any ideas other travellers may have for the five days?
I will be staying near Victoria Station.
Many thanks in advance.
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:34 AM

Great location as from there you can go anywhere. As to what to do, what are you interested in? Assume this is a first visit.

Off the top of my head I would suggest taking an open bus tour - not necessarily to get off and see things, but to get your bearings.

Now, as I've never been a tourist in London, and am now an ex-resident, I don't know exactly where they go. If it's as far as the Tower of London, then I would get off there to save yourself the time of going back later.

Many of the must sees are far more central. In approximate day chunks.

Westminster - you can walk from Victoria - Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament; Cabinet War Rooms, then up Whitehall and on to Trafalgar Square for the National Gallery.

Kensington - museum land - Victoria and Albert, Nat Science Museum, Nat History Museum - take your pick. Hop on some buses to get around.

Bloomsbury - the British Museum - you could spend days and days here. Do a few hours, take a break, shop a little and return. Or walk down Charing X Road and on to Convent Garden.

Greenwich - take a trip on the river to get there.

The South Bank - take tube (Jubilee Line extention) to London Bridge station. walk. Borough Market, Southwark Cathedral, Clink Museum. Tate Modern. London wheel.

Hampstead - shops, the Heath, and Kenwood House.

Plenty of theatre, ballet, opera and stuff. Lunchtime concerts in some churches.

Loads and loads of other places to see.

But then maybe you want tips on clubs, and the current music scene.

Whatever you do - get a travel pass and hop on and hop off the normal transport infrastructure.

Have a wonderful time.
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:43 AM

OK - there are several hundred threads on here answering your question. What research have you already done? What sorts of things do you enjoy?

fuzzylogic gave you some things to start with but w/o knowing more about you it is impossible to give you good advice. Start by clicking on Destinations here on Fodors and then come back w/ more info/specific questions.

There are hundreds of things to see/do in London and in only 5 days you will see just a few of them. If you help us we'll be better able to help you with ideas . . . . .
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:59 AM

For an introduction, take the bus from in front of Victoria up to Marble Arch (the dispatcher will tell you which one departs next).

Then get on the #15 and ride it all the way to The Tower. You will pass numerous monuments on the way, and with your bus pass you can jump off anywhere and take a closer look. Then get the RV1 and ride down the south bank and back up to Covent Garden. Walk down the Strand to Trafalgar Square. Here's your map:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/tourist.pdf
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:37 AM

ttt