5 countries tour (IT-SW-GE-AU)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An 11 days tour is scheduled starting 1 Aug. We are 6 persons (4 adults + 2 17 y.o.) We fly from Athens to Milan, rend a 7- or 9-seater and off we go! Tentative itinerary:

Milan-Aosta-Vevey
Vevey-Bern
Lucerne-Liechtenstein-St Moritz
St Moritz-Garmisch area
Garmisch-Salzburg
Salzburg-Wien
Wien-Villach
Villach-Mastre-Verona-Sirmione
Sirmione-Milano

Days in each of them can vary.

We are afraid that it would be a busy schedule but we do not want to miss the nice spots. We plan to mainly focus to small villages to spend the night in order to enjoy the nature.

Please share your experience with us ("must go" places, alternatives to itinerary, driving tips etc)

Thanks a lot!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Frankly - it looks like all you'll be doing is driving around europe in a circle. Don;t know how you will have time to see or do anything - except look out the car window.

When you add up time checking out of hotels driving to next town, finding hotel, checking in, having dinner - you will have no time left to do anything.

For example:

Day 1 - if you arrive at 9am and get out of the ariport with the car at 10am you will reach Aosta about noon. Spend 2/3 hours there - including lunch - and then on to Vevey - at which you will arrive at 7pm and have to look for your hotel - dinner and bed.

Day 2 - Vevey to Bern - better since the drive is only about 3 hours - but will you spend the 1/2 day left in Vevey (to see anything) or in Berne - or along lake Geneve, Montreaux, Chillon castle on the way?

Day 3 - you have somehow transported your self from Berne to Lucerne without spending any time (do you plan on actually ascending any of the mountains or just driving through the Bernese Oberland on a major highway?)

Do you see what I mean?

I think you need to cut out at least half these places. In an 11 day trip you should stay in no more then 3 hotels if you want to actually see anything.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 06:24 AM

For someone traveling solo and able to move fast,this itinerary would be only BARELY possible. Not recommended, but just barely possible.

For a group of 6 including kids - it is impossible and nearly insane. .

Not trying to be rude - but you do need to re-think things . . . . .
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 01:53 PM
rex

Bringing your message back up &quot;to the top&quot; since you are new here (and clearly need help with this <i>crazy</i> trip plan)...

... how do I know that you are brand new here? Click on your own name - - it's a valuable tip that Fodors fails to give you when they send you that initial e-mail confirming your registration.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Off we go, indeed! Please consult a map - this is just not possible.

Apart from all the other obvious reasons this won't work - are you aware of what traffic is like in Europe on August 1? It's probably not as bad in the countries you're heading to as it is in, say, France, but you'll still be competing with hoards of people leaving for their August holidays.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:31 AM

ttt
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:38 AM
ira

Hi jk,

I agree. This is not a vacation; it is an expedition.

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 05:05 AM
rex

Once again, a newbie who has re-posted (and with a worse message header, failing to mention anything about destinations) - - presumably for lack of being able to re-locate this first post.

Such utter contempt Fdors shows to its newcomers, failing to reduce their beginners' frustrations, faling to help make their initial experiences useful or enjoyable.

This is Fodors &quot;crime&quot; against the community, not the deletion of a &quot;beloved&quot; thread.

If you're going to take my suggestion to e-mail [email protected] and complain, then make it THIS thread.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Frustration, Rex, indeed ! Clicking on my name IS helpful. But, I would also appreciate an equally HELPFUL comment on my trip which, by the way, based on the comments received, has changed.
Unfortunately, apart from the responses of contempt on my first message there were very few really constructive comments. Not everybody is good with scheduling, especially when it is a first timer.

Have a nice day !

jk
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 09:24 PM
rex

Okay - - so tell us what IS your itinerary NOW? Your &quot;other&quot; post mentions only the three obligatory destinations. As first presented here, your trip had about four destinations too many - - all traveling and no time seeing the places you have traveled to!

I'm hoping you have prioiritized the places you are prepared to move (at least for overnight stays).

Lay it out as you see it NOW, and I will offer genuine constructive critique.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 05:25 AM

jkidoniefs: Apparently we DID give you constructive comments since they have caused you to re-think things. Unfortunately you haven't given us a clue re how your plans have changed.

believe me - there are MANY folks on here who can help you sort things out -- but first you have to help us.

Your original plans was soooooooo out of whack there really wasn't too much to say to help - so now what is your new/improved plan? help us help you.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
OK then, for an 11 day tour, I would pick 5 places at the most to visit (not 14 as you first listed!). That allows travel time and at least one full day to see the towns you pick.

I absolutely LOVE Vevey and Montreux and hope you will keep them on your list.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 09:13 AM

If they fit in with your itinerary, you might visit Chateau de Chillon a fabulous OLD castle outside Montreux on the lake.

Another very fun thing is visiting the local open air markets. The one in Montreux is Friday mornings under the pergola. The ones in Vevey are Tuesday on the pedestrian street and Saturday morning in the town square.

A side note to your original post, I would not call Vevey or Montreux &quot;small villages&quot; they are pretty good sized modern towns that sit on Lac Leman.

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:07 AM

^^^