Reload this Page >

5:00 AM out of Venice - Yikes!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 08:07 PM
Charlie Meade

..and the bad thing about flying back to Los Angeles from Venice is the only flight out per day is at 7:00 AM!! Is it too risky to stay in the city the night before? Can we get transportation at 4:30 in the morning? <BR>Are the vaporettos/buses running that early? <BR>How far is the airport from the city? <BR>Better to stay in a hotel closer to the airport? <BR>Thanks to all!!! <BR>Charlie

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 09:07 PM
betsy

Charlie <BR> <BR>Sorry, I just can't resist this. Here's a Web site about sleeping in airports (really). <BR> <BR>http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/graffiti27.html

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 10:51 PM
Charlie Meade

Betsy, <BR>You are very funny. I love Rick Steves. <BR>He pulled my butt out several times last trip to Rome two years ago. <BR>Have you been there recently?

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 03:02 AM
Paulo

The first Alilaguna boat (approx $20 for 2 pax) out from San Marco to the airport runs at 4:40am but it arrives only 5:50am, maybe a bit too late for check in. <BR> <BR>The first #5 bus (approx $10 for 2 pax) out from Piazzale Roma leaves also at 4:40am (5:40am on Sundays) arriving some 20 minutes later. <BR> <BR>A water taxi (approx. $70) may pick you up at the hotel (or very close to it if it's not on a canal) and takes you to the airport in about 35 minutues. <BR> <BR>A taxi (approx $40) out from Piazzale Roma would also be an option. <BR> <BR>The bus and the taxi option out from Piazzale Roma would call for a transfer from the hotel. There's a vaporetto that runs all night through the Grand Canal. <BR> <BR>In your shoes I would leave Venice in stile and take the more expensive water taxi. Just ask the concierge of your hotel to book one the day before you leave. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 06:32 AM
elvira

Ditto. The last thing you need in the dark, at no o'clock in the morning, is dealing with the bus station or getting to the (land) taxi area. Arrange for a water taxi, and consider it money well-spent.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 06:52 AM
Sally

We took the 4:40 Alilunga motor launch from near San Marco for $17 per person, got there at 6:00 and caught our 7:00 am flight to Paris and on to Atlanta. No problem; the airport personnel told us that the motor launch was timed to work with the flight schedules. Venice is not a big airport.However, I would check again with the airline personnel at the Venice airport to make sure that would allow you enough time. We did not have to stand in long lines and did not feel rushed at all.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 09:23 AM
jim

I'd probably go with the more expensive water taxi if you want to make sure you're on time. One possibility: Ask at the hotel if there's anyone else who's taking the same flight. Maybe you can share the taxi with them.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 09:38 AM
Carol

Hi Charlie-- <BR> <BR>I can sympathize totally since I just booked a cheapo Italiatour(alitalia)package to Venice for March and lo and behold--my flight back to NY (through Milano)is at 6:50am!! My package included a transfer from hotel to airport provided by Alitalia, so I'm thinkin--why don't you call Alitalia and see if you can arrange to have their shuttle pick you up? Hope it works out for you.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 06:15 PM
Marty

We just got back from Venice on Sunday afternoon. Our flight out was at 7:15, so it is not an uncommon time to leave. We connected in London. We arranged the water taxi for 5:30, but, because of fog, it took us to the Piazalle Roma where we had to fight for a taxi. The #5 bus that was due at 6:10 never came. We got to the airport just in time to check in and board our flight. Just plan to leave really early, just in case!