Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4th of july in london - can i wear 4th of july american flag?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 10:38 AM
sunny

with all that has happened in the US, being in London over the 4th strikes a chord. Can we wear "non-flagrant" shirts with our US flag/4th of july? or is that asking for any trouble with the brits...

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Al Godon

Freedom of speech exists in England, too. Besides, the Londoners are used to seeing all kinds of nuts, including USA types. They are most tolerant of colonials in their midst.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 10:46 AM
xyz

Sheesh - what a stupid question. Wear what you please. There are even special july 4 services for Americans in several churches. They really don't hold the Revolution against us!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Angela

The "Brits" are very loyal to the US especially in times of trouble, so I cannot think wearing a flag would cause any problems....just make sure the shirt isn't too loud

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 10:51 AM
anon

I don't think you are asking for trouble with the Brits as they have long gotten over the American Revolution and are very friendly, in my experience. As you can tell from this forum, however, there are many in Europe and elsewhere who think Americans are arrogant and nationalistic so I don't think you do us any particular service with this.<BR><BR>Also, there is a large and hostile Muslim community in London (do you read the papers?) and I'd be concerned about asking for trouble in that way. Personally, I would't do any American flag waving in any foreign country even thought I don't believe it necessary to particularly hide one's identity.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Duke

I worked with a British guy here in the states and he always referred to July 4th as "DE-COLONIZATION DAY". I always thought that was great.<BR><BR>For me in a foreign country, even England, I would not make a big deal about our holiday. For all the 100 people that love it, you will find one nut and he will find you. We even have that guy in the US that wants to dump the pledge. Whatta you think they have in Europe?<BR><BR>If July 4th is so meaningful and important to you....stay home and celebrate with Americans. Otherwise, better lay low or the one nut will find you.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 02:34 PM
travelingal

That's ridiculous. When I was in London in May I saw several Brits wearing U.S. flag T-shirts. Wear what you want but I am more afraid of terrorists abducting people abroad because we are Americans.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Sheila

I live in Aberdeen, which has had a few Americans around the last thirty years. There are 4th July parties all over the place. Some workplaces even close (fewer now since most expats have gone home). Come. Celebrate. Have a ball. No-one will mind and most people will love it.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 10:19 AM
davidwest

Youcan wear what you like. Just don't try going to tea at the Ritz in it.<BR><BR>No one will bother you.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Susannah

The last time we were in London (16 years ago!) we were there over the 4th of July. We got a big kick out of the fact that many of the pubs were making a big deal out of having Budweiser beer available "in honor of America's Independence"! We went to the pubs, but we passed on the Bud...<BR><BR>Have a great time, and I wouldn't worry about it. We'll be in Paris on the 4th.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Doug Weller

I guess it depends on how you feel about the appropriate way to treat Old Glory. The British have a different attitude towards their flag, and are happy to wear it. But that's not part of the American tradition, although such things change and perhaps this one should.<BR><BR>"The US flag should not be used as wearing apparel, or as part of a costume or athletic uniform. However, a US flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations."<BR><BR>(Source: 36 US Code, Sec 175, 176)

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Dave

I seem to recall that war being some time ago. Since that time, the Brits and Yanks have buried the hatchet. <BR><BR>It's fun to celebrate "your" holiday in another country. No one gets upset when Bastille Day is recognized in Los Angeles, not to mention Cinco De Mayo, or any slew of other holidays.<BR><BR>A few years ago we had a sparkler on our dessert in the south of France, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Broke the ice with the Brits sitting next to us, and we ended up having drinks together after dinner. <BR><BR>But the biggest July 4th celebration I ever attended was "Yankee Doodle Day" street festival in Ireland. <BR><BR>Have fun. People like fun.<BR>

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Mary

I don't think that I would. We were in Sicily a couple of years ago on the 4th and were going to Palermo for the day and put on all our American Flag wear for the 4th and my father made us all go change. He said we shouldn't attract attention - basically because you were telling people you were American Tourists and would be more inclined to get robbed.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:32 AM
real

&gt;We went to the pubs, but we passed on &gt;the Bud...<BR><BR>Have you tried real Budvar Budweiser? It's wonderful and certainly better than the gnat's pee from America.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:47 AM
Mel

I've become friends with the owners of a guest house in Edinburgh where we frequently stay. She asked me to send her U.S. flags to put on the breakfast tables as centerpieces on the 4th to help American visitors feel at home and let them know she cares about our traditions. <BR><BR>

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:13 AM
brit

We'll know you're an American from 50 yds, so why worry about wearing a flag??

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:20 AM
Uncle Sam

And we'll know you're a Brit!<BR><BR>US

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:03 AM
Ann

If you actually read the regulations covering the American flag, you should never wear a piece of clothing bearing a picture of the flag, as it demeans the symbol.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 09:16 AM
kate

Regulations about not wearing the flag??? So much for Land of the Free.<BR><BR>Bring your flag with you. On the 4th you will see them everywhere in London, and regret that you left it at home.<BR><BR>If you'd been here during the World Cup, you'd have seen giant flags all over from every country involved (I had no idea just HOW many Brazilians live in London and drive cars with very loud horns). No one batted an eyelid.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 12:26 PM
Ann

Kate--they're not laws, just guidelines, like not wearing socks with sandals or spitting in someone's home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -