Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > 48 hours to departure for Switzerland...questions on Swiss Pass
Notices

48 hours to departure for Switzerland...questions on Swiss Pass

Sep 29th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

48 hours to departure for Switzerland...questions on Swiss Pass

I've used everyone's posts extensively to plan my 7 day trip to Switzerland with my daughter. You have all been so helpful to others that I haven't needed to post previously. But now that the time is drawing near I find I am a little confused about how to use the various passes. I am seriously considering the 8 day Swiss Pass as it was only a few CHF more than any of the other alternatives when I plotted our itinerary out in a spreadsheet. My questions are can I buy it in country when I arrive at the Zurich airport or do I need to purchase it online before I leave? Once I have the Pass how do I use it? Do I flash it on the train/bus/boat or do I take it to the ticket booth to receive a ticket? How do I validate it? I've traveled extensively elsewhere in Europe but this is my first time in Switzerland and I want to make sure I don't make a mistake. Thank you for any advice!
Sep 29th, 2014, 03:02 PM

You can buy t at the rail station in Zurich Airport. Tell the seller when you want start using it and they will validate it, then just board the train, bus or whatever. Unless you are usig the cablecars, funiculars etc, then you need to buy a ticket from the ticket office show the pass and you will in most cases buy a half pruce ticket, again except for the Jungfraujoch trip, where you travel free to Wengen/Grindelwald and get a 25% reduction from there on up and back. Show the pass wherever you board the first train. I'm thinking here about Interlaken Ost or Lauterbrunnen and you will be sold the correct ticket. On boats just show the pass when the ticket inspector comes round, the same on the train. Enjoy ypur holiday.
Sep 30th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much tipsygus! I'm feeing a lot more confident now!
Sep 30th, 2014, 06:04 PM

You do not validate the pass. You do not feed the pass into a validation machine.

You activate the pass. There is a box, about 1 inch x 1.5 inch box at the right side of the pass. The SBB agent stamps that box, initials, look at your passport and enter the passport number in the middle of the pass.
Swiss pass comes in Continuous type and Flexday types. For each, there is an individual type and saver type. If you plan to use your pass everyday, you get a continuous saver pass for two people.

For continuous pass, once the SBB agent activates the pass and enters the validity date, you can just flash it at places not requiring tickets with barcodes, mag strip, etc to go through turnstiles. For flexday pass, you must enter the dates you are using the pass using the European date format before hopping on.

Search this Thread