Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

48 hours in berlin, what to do and where to find good &cheap cafes?

Oct 9th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Also I have tickets for Schwanensee and VERY excited about it!!! If someone can please
recommend some good cafe's for resting between walking and sightseing (chain or individual.)
Oct 9th, 2005, 01:55 AM

We were in Berlin for 5 days at the end of April and loved it. Here's a link to my trip report in which I listed all the places we ate - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34614269.

The German inn-type places we ate were very nice and very good value. The 12 Apostles pizzeria had some good deals in the afternoon.
Oct 9th, 2005, 07:07 PM

I mention a few places in my trip report, but they are not particularly centrally located:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...2&tid=34598738
Oct 9th, 2005, 07:39 PM

One of the best cafes in Europe, and one with a long history-my favorite-the Cafe Kranzler, on the Ku-damm, across from the Ka De We department store and the H & M. Excellent coffee drinks and the best pastries.
Oct 10th, 2005, 08:07 AM

Take one of the 1 hour boat trips on the River Spree. Fabulous views of the new modern architecture.
Oct 10th, 2005, 01:52 PM

We recently returned from Berlin and one of the places we visited was the KaDeWa Dept. store. We decided to have lunc there and found it very good. The lunches are on different counters on the 6th floor. Before lunch and after, we sat outside on the Ku Dam on the benches provided and just took in the scene, people watched etc. It was free, with a very good meal that was reasonable. The benches are in the center of the street, there are flowers etc. and a good place to stay for a while, if you want to rest up.
Oct 11th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Caroline_edinburgh , you are also clasiccal fan I see! There were sooo many choices for that weekend.....Berlioz Requiem , Carmen etc.etc but I decided for Schwanensee because of ballet AND the building of Staatsoper. Can t wait! Thanks everybody!!!
Oct 12th, 2005, 04:40 AM

ivson, hope you have a great time - I'm sure you will. Yes, we were spoilt for choice too - there were other operas and ballet on too. Sadly the only Berlin Phil concert that week was a special gala performance with tickets at something like £150

The Staatsoper tour was very interesting : ours was booked through Scottish Opera but there were other groups going round too so I imagine anyone can book.
Oct 13th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Caroline,I didn't book the staatsoper tour because I m hoping to sneak around in pauses of Schwanensee. I would have booked two performances for the weekend but I don t want to kill my husband (he is not into teathre) because the whole weekend in B. idea is a gift for his birthday! I just squeezed one night of teathre just becaue I can t resist being there and not seeing it!
Oct 14th, 2005, 01:58 AM

I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time. I think you were right to choose the Staatsoper when you're only visiting one. It was interesting to hear how it was destroyed during WWII but then rebuilt exactly the same.