Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   40th Wedding Anniversary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/40th-wedding-anniversary-74384/)

Richard Spayd Jun 1st, 2000 09:27 AM

40th Wedding Anniversary

I am planning to surprise my wife in 2001 with a trip to Europe, specifically Paris and Strasbourg areas in France and the Salzburg and Vienna areas in Austria. Is there a better time of year? What is the best method of transportation. Suggestions on where to stay particularly in the Strasbourg area. This is our first trip and I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thyra Jun 1st, 2000 10:01 AM

Richard Congratulations! And what a great thing to do!!! I am sure if you scroll down the message boards you will get tons more information then you could ever need. I would suggest you take your trip during a "shoulder season" that would be March, April, May or September, October. <BR>The weather will still be nice the prices are a third less and your chances of meeting actual Europeans is better. We always travel in March and see a bit of rain and cold, but we like that. September is a great month! As for method of transport. It depends on what you want to do. Trains are easier in a lot of respects but cars allow you to go to a lot more "out of the way" places and travel at your own pace. Last year my husband and I got a Drive/Rail pass that had 5 days of travel and 3 days with a car. I love European trains, it's so nice to share a glass of wine while the lovely country side zips past your window, a lot less stress! There is a wonderful book I would recommend called Fodor's Hotels of Character and Charm in Paris that has pictures and wonderful reviews if you are looking for romance. Again, this is a great place to get what you are looking for! People on this message board will help you out a lot. Oh, my husband and I really enjoyed St. Peters Skeller... I think thats what it was called in Salzburg, we splurged and enjoyed a Baroque Mozart Concert with lovely dinner and met some wonderful people in the most beautiful concert hall you can imagine. It was a definate highlight, (if slightly expensive). To make your trip easier learn a few basic phrases in the languages of the countries you are visiting and check out the other postings... BON VOYAGE... (can you email my husband and share your idea? Hint hint)

kam Jun 1st, 2000 01:15 PM

Richard, Two years ago we had a delightful trip to Paris and then Alsace in October. The weather was perfect and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We rented a car, but this could also be easily done by train, if you prefer. Leaving Paris for Strasbourg it is about 3 hours by train. We based in the town of Colmar which is about another 40 min. by train, but is not as busy as Strasbourg and I think more picturesque. From Strasbourg to Colmar takes you through the prettiest part of the Alsacien wine route. It also saves you the parking problem in Strasbourg where much of the city is pedestrian only.There is a tram from the station to the center of town which is very convenient. We stayed at the Hostellerie Le Marechal and would return in a minute. It's quite close to the train station in the "Petite Venice" area of the city. Another delightful place we stayed (but this would require a car) was near Epernay in Champillon at the Royal Champagne. It's a quiet small hotel in the middle of vineyards with a fantastic restaurant and champagne tasting is about 4 miles away in Epernay. What a great way to spend an anniversary! On another trip we were in Vienna and Salzburg/Innsbruck and then the Alto Adige area of Italy in October. Again, weather was great. We have vowed to go back, but next time will combine Alsace with Belgium. Congratulations.

Bob Jun 1st, 2000 01:49 PM

I spent a July in Strasbourg a few years ago and it was wonderful. But, I have also been there in the spring, and as someone else said, it is nicer in the low season. I personally loved the city. It has much to offer, great walking areas, and not as many tourists as many other places in France. The wine route has many villages to see - Riquewihr, Turkheim, Haut-Koenisburg (fort),and many more. They are not far apart, and are all lovely to visit. Plus, the wine tasting is very pleasant! Regardless where you stay, you will have a wonderful time!

Loy Housewright Jun 3rd, 2000 11:54 AM

Few Americans travel by bus in France, but it is an extremely easy and economical way to get around. You can do the Alsace wine route by scheduled bus. Rather than take up a lot of space here, if you e-mail me, I can give you more detail. Good luck. Loy.

james ibbott Jun 6th, 2000 03:30 PM

hi: Congratulations on your 40th! I was interested in your comments because this the year of our 40th, and we are also taking the trip of our dreams in September. We are going to have a week in a condo north of Nice, and then we are going to drive to Aix and surrounding areas, and then we will drive to the Loire Valley for about a week , and then a grand finale with a week in Paris. If anyone wishes to give sugeestions, I thrive on them. We plan to stay at the Cluny Sorbonne on Rue Victor Cousin in the Latin Quarter. We are Canadians and our dollar doesn't go far!. <BR>

kam Jun 6th, 2000 05:10 PM

James, But I bet your French is better than mine! Your itinerary sounds perfect! Enjoy your lovely trip to France and congrats.