40th birthday in Italy

Old Dec 21st, 2003, 07:27 AM
JJO
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
40th birthday in Italy

We are off to Italy in May for the first time with another couple. We want to fly into Rome for 2 nights, head to Tuscanny or Umbria for 5 nights and then head to Florence for 2 nights, leaving out of Florence or nearby to head home. Need ideas for accomodations, have to see places and restaurants. Also, any travelling ideas, car vs. train, etc. Thanks for all your help. It would be nice to find hotels or apartments for around $200-$250 per night US. Any chances????????
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 08:17 AM

Regarding the hotel price range, you may have problems finding something...I was looking into goin around Easter and found that prices for hotels were considerably cheaper a month or two earlier.

I finally booked some hotels in our price range around October (for end of Jan and early Feb). When I went back to check, there were a lot fewer hotels and they were all either very far away from the center or costed an arm and a leg. Since you're looking for rooms during the season, I would start looking agressively and if you find some things that look good, I would go ahead and book. (I don't know whether you would be comfortable with prepaying for the rooms sight unseen like some places like Expedia seems to do, but I would recommend that you merely "hold" your reservation with your credit card. That way, if you did find something that you like better, you can change your plans.)

Lil
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 10:09 AM
ira

Hi JJ

I suggets that as you leave Rome you head for Orvieto for an overnight. Lunch and/or dinner at I Sette Consoli Pzza Sant?Angelo 1A phone/fax 011 39 0763 343911 is a great dining experience. About 40E pp for the lunch special.
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 10:11 AM
ira

PS,

In Florence, be sure to have dinner at Il Ritrovo Via de? Pucci 4/A. Under 50E pp for exceptionally good dinner with wine.
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 03:38 PM

Check this apartment where me and my boyfriend stayed: http://www.casinadirosa.it/

I don't think it can accommodate four people, but maybe she has something else. We payed more or less €50 (ca. $60) per night for the entire house. We rented it for 7 days.

Merry Christmas!