Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   40 liter back pack and small rolling duffel to much baggage (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/40-liter-back-pack-and-small-rolling-duffel-to-much-baggage-995668/)

Stacey222 Oct 21st, 2013 09:35 AM

40 liter back pack and small rolling duffel to much baggage

I am traveling over to Europe during the summer of 2014, and was wondering if a 40 liter back pack and a small rolling duffel would be to much to carry around. we are going for about two weeks. i plan on using my 40 liter bag as a day pack when we travel around to different places in each country. i am also debating whether to bring a small salute as well.

MmePerdu Oct 21st, 2013 09:52 AM

A small rolling bag, which I check, and a small backpack as a carry-on and for overnights is what I use for any trip from a week to six months. So it sounds fine to me.

What is a "small salute"?

indyhiker Oct 21st, 2013 10:17 AM

A 40 liter pack is not what I would call "small." It's not huge either, but depending on its exact dimensions, it may be too big to be used as a carry-on. The pack that I have that meets the average specs for carry-on luggage (14 x 9 x 22) is 28 liters. Obviously, if the OP is planning to check (assuming she flying at all) her backpack and use the small rolling duffle as a carry-on then the dimensions of the backpack may be irrelevant.

StCirq Oct 21st, 2013 10:23 AM

A 40-liter backpack is pretty darn big, IMO...plenty big enough to wipe out entire families standing in train or airplane aisles (sorry, one of my pet peeves). I could easily get 4-6 weeks of travel gear into one of those (I'd have a medium-size tote as well for the small, everyday stuff. Along with the rolling duffel, that sounds like overkill for a two-week trip. My standard is a 21"or 22" rollaboard plus the tote.

greg Oct 21st, 2013 10:24 AM

40L is about the inside size of an unexpanded 22" roller having outside dimension of 22x14x9. A bag this big is not easy to move around if you are taking buses, trains, subways, going to restaurants, or taking bites at bar counters. Also if you are going to museums, even the ones that let you bring you small bags would make you check luggage this big. This is ok at places where you have to return to the cloak area to exit, but adds an unnecessary backtracking at places having exits distant from the entrances. On days I visit museums, I only carry a 8L shoulder bag which I can usually carry in with me without being loaded down.

MmePerdu Oct 21st, 2013 10:28 AM

Indyhiker, "traveling over to Europe" would indicate a flight to me, although I suppose not necessarily. In any case, I think you're right about the size of the pack. Mine is also smaller and is, for me, a perfect size for lots of uses including out of, but not in, town. But I think she's on the right track with the 2 pieces. If it has compression straps, as most do these days, I think even at 40L it would be fine as a carryon if not filled to capacity and cinched down.

indyhiker Oct 21st, 2013 11:09 AM

I still maintain that a 40 liter pack isn't huge--but my experience is colored by the packs used for backcountry hikes, many of which are way bigger than 40 liters. But that issue aside, I would tend to go with a smaller pack and another modestly sized rolling bag. I could comfortably use one of my 28 liter daypacks for sightseeing (although I don't, as I prefer to use a smaller purse with a strong shoulder strap).

vjpblovesitaly Oct 21st, 2013 11:36 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...r-suitcase.cfm

flpab Oct 21st, 2013 11:45 AM

I love StCirq's comment about wiping out an entire family in an airplane aisle. :) They do that all the time when I have the aisle seat. It gets to be dangerous. I would worry about my back. I am getting older and need wheels.

anyegr Oct 21st, 2013 11:47 AM

Do you have the 40-liter backpack available at home? Pack it full and put it on. Walk around a few hours, including up at least one set of stairs. Then try lifting it up above your head, as if putting it up in an overhead bin on a plane. Does that feel ok? No back or shoulder ache? In that case, you can use it for your trip.

Personally, I'd never even think of using such a large backpack. But I'm a very short woman who doesn't excercise at all. My back starts to complain at 5 kilos in my backpack. Ten kilos would make me scream in pain after five minutes. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of young men with backpacks three times as large as mine. They don't seem to have any problems. So, try it at home first before you decide.

MmePerdu Oct 21st, 2013 12:04 PM

Good suggestion regarding the at-home test. When I go for week-long walks I carry my smaller pack which, when full, weighs in at about 5 kilos. I'm not very fit but love my walks so that's my limit. The older I get the lighter the pack gets so I guess by the end of my walking days I'll be going with a change of undies in one pocket and money in another, no more. As with everything in life, it's all balance.

indyhiker Oct 21st, 2013 12:07 PM

All other physical issues aside, to be able to carry a fair amount of weight on your back, the pack has to fit and be well designed. The difference between the comfort of an ill fitting pack and a well fitting one is pretty remarkable. Still, general fitness and strength are relevant. If the OP isn't used to carrying 30-40 pounds on her back, a trip to Europe might not be the best time to start.

I also misspoke before. The pack I have that fits standard carry on dimensions is 24 liters.

colduphere Oct 21st, 2013 12:07 PM

Don't get them confused.

colduphere Oct 21st, 2013 12:08 PM

That was Mme Perdue.

MmePerdu Oct 21st, 2013 12:19 PM

What was?

And that's Perdu (pear'-due, not per-doo').

Gretchen Oct 21st, 2013 12:19 PM

Using the 40L as a day pack (not a carryon, folks) seems really weird. Unpack everything in it for a day pack? Or just carry everything you are bringing every day on a sightseeing tour? I am not getting that as a useful piece of travel gear. What size "small rolling duffel" and what will be in it?
Why not one rolling luggage/duffel and a day pack for essentials on the plane and for daily use.

Gretchen Oct 21st, 2013 12:22 PM

There are all kinds of configurations, all large and bulky and St. Cirq has it right--totally clueless people carry them and whip around at a moment's notice!!
https://www.google.com/#q=40+liter+backpack&tbm=shop

MmePerdu Oct 21st, 2013 12:29 PM

OK, I just got it. Can't quite imagine paying for lunch with a pair of drawers. Or rinsing out my money in the evening. Although, as you imply, I suppose it might depend on what I'd done with it in the course of the day.

colduphere Oct 21st, 2013 12:30 PM

Speaking of not being confused (me), don't get your undies and your money confused. I am trying to talk into my new iPhone rather than typing. Still working out the kinks.

We all use 35 litre backpacks to travel. They have never been close to being a problem as carry-ons. But most of the contents are soft and light. And yes they are weapons in crowded places. We always take them off in tight spaces.

colduphere Oct 21st, 2013 12:31 PM

Oops sorry - took me too long to dictate that one too.