Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > 40 Days Itinerary - advice needed for last 17 days
Notices

40 Days Itinerary - advice needed for last 17 days

Jun 5th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

40 Days Itinerary - advice needed for last 17 days

Hi,

I had posted elsewhere on this forum some time back for itinerary suggestion for 3 weeks...

That itinerary is almost decided...but things have changed slightly and I would be able to extend my trip by 18 more days and need advice on that..

Trip :

Phase 1 : 22 days , Me and My wife
Rome 3, Florence 2, Venice 2, Lucerne 2 , Wengen 4, Paris 4 , London 4

Phase 2 : 18 days , me alone :
Totally blank on where to go next...just that this phase starts from London..

Am totally open on what to do here...maybe some more culture, history, museums, and some beach places or some country side...totally open..

Is this doable :
Madrid - Barelona - French Riviera - Positano / Corcina / Cinque Terre - Greek Islands and return from there
OR
Amsterdam - Bruges - Berlin - Munich - Vienna - Prague?

Suggestions please !
Jun 5th, 2013, 08:54 PM

"Amsterdam - Bruges - Berlin - Munich - Vienna - Prague" is very doable from London, all by train if you want (or short flight to Amsterdam; maybe fly from Brussels to Berlin too). But it seems like you'll have an entire trip of almost all big cities and a lot of travel in between. We all have our preferences.

The other option is probably doable but I haven't been to any of those places (except the Cinque Terre) so can't really comment.
Jun 5th, 2013, 08:59 PM

I would suggest slowing down the pace a bit once your wife departs. You'll be tired by then

Stay an additional few days in London. Take some of the walks offered by London Walks: http://www.walks.com/
They do some pub crawls and entertaining walks in addition to the historical/serious ones. You can also take day trips out to Portsmouth, Dover (great WWII sites there), Bath/Stonehenge, and so on.

Take the Eurostar to Brussels. Spend a couple of days in Brussels and head to Bruges. See some battlefields, a few museums, eat some chocolate.

Then go to Amsterdam. Spend some time in the city, then see Delft and some countryside.

I am not sure what your interests are, but these are a few of my ideas....
Jun 5th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

The walks idea is very interesting...that will give me time to relax...

My interests are a bit varied...nothing specific in particular...but just want to enjoy this once a life time opportunity...in my first phase I have divided it between a few cities and few days in the mountains in Switzerland...so a bit of similar mix this time too is fine...

and I am open to taking a couple of off beat areas...a friend recommended Positano / Corcina and Cinque Terre is very popular...

How about Edinburgh...

I know i am being really vague here but i cant narrow down right now which is why I put all the major cities in one option..But i know I am leaning slightly towards Spain...maybe I can spend 8-9 days in Spain but where to from there?

Search this Thread