Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   4 star hotels in Lake Geneva, Gstaad, Interlaken & Lucerne (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/4-star-hotels-in-lake-geneva-gstaad-interlaken-and-lucerne-1091910/)

shruti2802 Mar 31st, 2016 02:36 AM

4 star hotels in Lake Geneva, Gstaad, Interlaken & Lucerne

Hi..Planning to travel to Switzerland next month. Shall be visiting Lake Geneva, Gstaad, Interlaken and Lucerne.

Need recommendations for good 4 star Hotels in or around these places.
Thanks !!

swandav2000 Mar 31st, 2016 02:48 AM

Hi shruti2802,

I will repeat (copy) my recommendations on your other thread so others will know what's already been recommended --

For accommodation on Lake Geneva, I always recommend staying somewhere directly on the lake. You don't have to stay in the center of town because the bus system is very good, with busses coming by every 10 mintues. I would recommend Montreux (more resort-y feel, more hotels) or Vevey (more residential feel, fewer hotels).

For specific hotels, you could check out

Hostellerie Bon Rivage, 3-star, right on the lake, in the suburb of La Tour-de-Peilz outside of Vevey but very near a bus stop. (Even though it's "only" a 3-star, its location is very good; I would definitely consider it.)

Hotel Eden Palace au Lac, 4-star, sits directly on the lake near the center of Montreux. I've stayed here 3 times before it added the "Palace" to the name. Perfect location.

Hotel Au Fil de l'Eau, 4 star, sits right on the lake in the quiet district of Clarens. I stayed in this hotel with my mom before it was sold/changed owners. We were kept awake until past midnight because the restaurant was right below us on the terrace, and we had to keep the windows open. If it's a warm May, and you need to open the windows, you may have that problem with noise (or get a room away from the terrace). But it's a great spot.

For Luzern, I liked the 4-star Hotel Des Balances. My room had a view of the Jesuit church across the river, and the ducks that would meet & feed at the bottom of the stairs there. I could see the Kapellbrücke if I leaned out the window. Wonderful location in the old town, and its restaurant was the best of those I sampled in Luzern.

New Recommendations --

For Gstaad, I would recommend the Hotel Gstaaderhof, a 4-star. It sits just around the corner from the pedestrian path through town, maybe a 5-minute walk. I've stayed there two times, the first time for a week, and the second time for 10 days -- both for a music concert in August.

If you'd consider staying in Lutry, a village/small town in the Lavaux, I would recommend Hotel Le Bourg 7. I've never stayed there, but I've always thought it looks very nice.

Hope you find some good spots!

s

Dukey1 Mar 31st, 2016 03:26 AM

I would second the possibility of the Des Balances in Luzern particularly if you can get one of the rooms which overlooks the water and the bridge, Jesuit Church, etc. The restaurant is also highly-rated.

If you want a really grand sort of hotel which not only overlooks the lake but has great pools (indoor and outdoor) and spa then you could consider the Beau Rivage Palace in Lausanne or the "Three Kings" in Vevey.

nytraveler Mar 31st, 2016 05:04 AM

The Des Balances in Lucerne is in a very charming location.

We also love the Montana which is situated on a hill a short distance from the center of town on a hill with incredible view overlooking the lake and much of the town. There is a private elevator from the street at lake level up to the hotel level for use of guests.

shruti2802 Apr 2nd, 2016 08:25 PM

Thanks so much for your responses.

shruti2802 Apr 11th, 2016 09:16 AM

Hi ..
Besides Des Balances in Lucerne, any other good hotel that we can consider?

Also need a recommendation for Hotel in Interlaken>

Awaiting your response.

Thanks!

Pepper_von_snoot Apr 11th, 2016 09:49 AM

Interlaken: Grand Hotel Victoria-Jungfrau. Hooters is next door. Oh, goody!

The best hotel in Interlaken is Beau Rivage. Reserved, quiet. Not as busy as the Victoria.

Luzern: Hotel Montana. Great views of the lake.

Thin

shruti2802 Apr 11th, 2016 10:11 AM

Thanks so much..
As I read in a few reviews, Montana is slightly far from the station.
Would prefer a hotel which is closer to station.
Need suggestions.

shruti2802 Apr 13th, 2016 03:55 AM

Hi..
Any idea how is Hotel Alpenblick in Interlaken?

Also between BonRivage and Raddison Blu in Lucerne ,which one is better?

Thnx!

shruti2802 Apr 13th, 2016 03:58 AM

Hi.. Slight mistake...

Any idea how is Hotel Alpenblick in Interlaken?

And Radisson Blu in Lucerne?

Between Hostellier Bon Rivage and Eden Palace in Montreux, which one is better?

Thnx

joannyc Apr 13th, 2016 06:07 AM

In Montreux, I liked the Grand Hotel Suisse Majestic very much. Had a large room with a balcony overlooking the lake. Very nice place!

swandav2000 Apr 13th, 2016 07:44 AM

Hi again,

How do you define "better"?

Hostellerie Bon Rivage is a 3-star that sits in a quiet location directly on the lake outside of Vevey. It will be quieter and probably cheaper. If you want to enjoy the views of the lake and mountains opposite, the Bon Rivage will have that. There are not many people strolling the lake at this location.

Eden Palace au Lac is a 4-star that sits right in the center of the action on the lake in Montreux. It will be more active and more expensive. If you like to sit on your balcony and watch the action as people stroll down the lake, the Eden will have that. There are lots of folks who stroll by at this location.

Have fun!

s

shruti2802 Apr 13th, 2016 10:10 AM

Thanks for your responses!

Pepper_von_snoot Apr 13th, 2016 10:41 AM

Hotels in Luzern near the train station will get a lot of noise. If your hotel doesn't have air conditioning and you have to open a window you will be merde out of luck.

Hotels along the lake will be much more quiet than hotels in the new town.

It is nice to walk along the promenade of the lake in the morning and evening.

Thin

shruti2802 Jun 9th, 2016 01:03 AM

Hi everyone,

We had an awesome vacation in Switzerland.
Stayed at Eden Palace Au Lac in Montreux which has the most fabulous location.Visited Chateau de chillon, Lake cruise to vevey, Rocher de naye.
We stayed in Gstaaderhof hotel in Gstaad which besides being a beautiful hotel also has the most warm and helpful staff.We did Glacier 3000 and of course nearby villages like Saanen and Eggli.
In Interlaken, we did Thun cruise, visited Breinz and Ballenburg museum.
In Lucerne, we could not get Des Balances as it was fully booked. So we tried another hotel called Seeberg.It is byfar the best hotel in terms of location(right at bus station) and at the lake. It has its own lakeside bar. We visited the transport museum which is one stop before this hotel while you are coming from Lucerne city.

Thanks for all the recommendations.So helpful!!

Shruti

Shru

swandav2000 Jun 9th, 2016 09:16 PM

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out!!

(I thought Eggli was a mountaintop, not a village . . . )

s