4 Star Hotel in Paris' Latin Quarter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. My wife and I will be in Paris for six nights at the beginning of April. It will be the first time for both of us. We are considering spending the first three nights in the Latin Quarter and then the second three nights on the Right Bank. I have a good idea where we are staying on the Right Bank (either Concorde du Louvre or Le Meurice). However, I am struggling as to where to stay in the Latin Quarter. I have been through the forum and have especially reviewed the Left Bank Hotel list that is extremely thorough. However, it seems to focus primarily on 2 or 3 star hotels. I am looking more for a four or five star hotel in the Latin Quarter. I liked Hotel Le Petit Paris but it does not have availability when we are there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Greg
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.hotelabbayeparis.com

This is not in the Latin Quarter (the 5th), but in St. Germain (the 6th); it is just a short walk away, however, and near the Luxembourg Gardens.

The Latin Quarter is really not a 5-star hotel kind of place.

Tschuss,
Pepper
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Relais DSt. gmain-6th
Au Manoir St. Gemain-6th
ST. Vincent-6th
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 08:16 PM

If I could stay anywhere on the left bank, this would be the place. http://www.l-hotel.com/
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 08:24 PM

Why would you want to go to the hassle of changing hotels in the middle of your stay? The central areas of Paris are quite close together, and most places are within easy walking distance or only moments away by Metro or bus. The stroll from the Concorde du Louvre Hotel to the Cluny Museum, for example, is all of 2km, and would take you 26 minutes, according to Google Maps.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 08:28 PM

If I could afford it , I would stay in the Hotel Aubusson,, its in the perfect area, not in the Latin Quarter, it the 6th, but less then two blocks from the busy area of the 5th. Check it out. Not sure if its a 3 or 4 star, but you must remember something, the star system in France is not based on level of luxury, but on the amenties they have, so having a gym and valet parking may earn a hotel a 4th star, but in terms of service, room decor , etc, a 3 star hotel without those amenties could be NICER then the 4 stars. So don't dismiss a good 3 star.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 08:50 PM

I totally agree with Nuke safe. No need to change hotels, just select one which you love and it is close to metro stations. I think Le Meurice is perfect, beeing near Louvre, Place Concorde, metro station.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 11:11 PM

No way I'd change hotels ina compact city like Pars. Try Relais Christine in addition to the Aubusson.

http://www.relais-christine.com/
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 03:13 AM

I've never done it but unless you really love your hotel and you have light luggage it might be interesting to stay in two different locations.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 05:08 AM

I wouldn't change hotels on a bet but if this is what you really want to do, consider staying in the 6th right next door to the Latin Quarter. You are more likely to find 4 or 5 star hotels there.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 07:00 AM

Um, let me repost my 6th arr. suggestions, spelling them correctly this time.
Relais St. Germain
Au Manoir St. Germain
St. Vincent
Le Madison
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 07:13 AM

Relais Christine

www.relais-christine.com

Jeu de Paume

www.jeudepaumehotel.com
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 07:26 AM

I wouldn't ever change hotels in Paris for such a short stay - there's absolutely no reason to do so. Nor would I ever stay in the Latin Quarter, which as mentioned isn't a 5-star type of neighborhood anyway.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 08:53 AM

I change hotels in Paris a lot, I like it and think it is fun to have two different neighborhoods during my stay, and two different hotels. I think I usually do whne I'm there 6 nights, actually. I always choose two hotels in completely different parts of town. Another plus is that if for some reason you aren't crazy about the hotel or room, at least it's not for your entire stay. It's no big problem for me to do that, I don't come with tons of suitcases or things to pack. Dpending on my transportation in/out of the city, I choose location with a consideration of that (eg, near the RERB at the end of the stay if I intend to take it to the airport, stuff like that).

Practically, there are only a couple 4* hotels in the Latin Qtr, literally. So that actually makes it easy to choose, if you do want to stay there at that level. There are no 5* hotels in the Latin qtr.

4* hotels:
Seven Hotel (down at the bottom, probably not where you want to be, although actually, that is a nice neighborhood, away from the hubbub, and it seems the design you like) http://www.sevenhotelparis.com/

Hotel Parc Saint Severin (good location, it was recently upgraded officially, used to be 3*)
http://www.paris-hotel-parcsaintseverin.com/en/

Les Rives de Notre Dame (right on the Seine quay)
http://www.rivesdenotredame.com/

There are several nice 3* hotels, you can view the Pantheon or Hotel des Grands Hommes or Henri IV Rive Gauche.

But you might like the Hotel Luxembourg Parc which is a 4* and not very far from the border.http://www.luxembourg-paris-hotel.com/
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 09:03 AM

BTW, having a gym or valet parking does not earn you a 4* hotel rating under the French system, there are many criteria you have to have to get that rating, related to the building, size of rooms, ventilation, availability of food, staff, bathrooms, A/C, telephones, computers, and things like that. I don't believe the presence of a gym is even considered at all, but I might be wrong (you can get some points for extra things, sort of like extra credit, but you must meet the basic criteria).
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 09:41 AM

If you want to stay in two different areas, why not? It's YOUR trip, do what YOU want! Le Meurice is a lovely hotel. I second the suggestion of Luxembourg Parc for the 6th arrondissement. It's a very nice hotel and I'm fond of the neighbourhood - I lived next door when I was a student in Paris (alas, that chunk of real estate was far too valuable to remain a low-budget student foyer and it's now premium office space for French Senate staff).
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 06:47 PM

I did not say that having a gym or valet parking earned you a 4th star, I used them as examples of amenties that MAY be counted towards a 4th or 5th star. Food on premise( restaurant) and 24 hr room service do count. Gyms are not popular in Paris hotels,, simply because of space,, Paris has no new land for hotels,, so even a 4 star hotel room may be smaller then what North Americans expect.
Basically my whole point is,, don't count on the star system to give you the luxury you want,, do your homework, read hotel reviews , and btw,, I often stay in two star hotels ,, and they always have a/c ,, since I pick them especially for that, I can't stand a hot room at night, and I tend to travel in the summer. ( so not all 2 stars have a/c,, hence the do your homework comment)
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. After considering all of your responses (as well as the corporate rate that I was able to obtain at Concorde Hotel du Louvre), I have decided to stay there for the entire six nights. As well, many of the hotels that I liked in the Latin Quarter and St. Germain did not have availability, so I think it simply makes sense to stay in one place for this trip. Now, to choose restaurants!!! Thanks again.