Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 siblings, 18-23 going to London, Paris Amsterdam....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our four children will be traveling to Amsterdam, Paris and London for one week in March.
They are at this point in time, looking into accommodations for each of these areas. We don't have a price range, so any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
3 are in college, 1 has graduated from college. The oldest asked if she could go to Europe with her siblings, realizing that this may be the only time all 4 can travel together, before they get jobs (hopefully!) or tied down to a significant other.
Because they're so close, we agreed, it's a nice gift to give to them, we're very fortunate to have such a close family as well as the means to provide them the opportunity for such a gift.
Money is not really an object of concern as far as accommodations go. We have traveled often as a family, and have stayed at the best places, so naturally, the 'children' are used to, and for the most part, expect to continue in the same vein, however they are open to whatever suggestions are made.
If anyone has any suggestions for places kids this age group might think are cool, funky, luxurious or fabulous in any way, please let us know. They are 2 boys, and 2 girls. The girls will plan Paris, one boy will plan Amsterdam, and the other boy will plan London.
The boy planning Amsterdam is very low key, he doesn't care that much about luxury, but my oldest daughter wants the 'hotel' in Amsterdam to be in a 'nice' place, not somewhere 'scary' or seedy. The son in charge of London, is looking into the Grosvenor House which we stayed at in the past, but I think they can do with something less grand, and somewhere where 4 kids would enjoy more, but still be as nice?
The girls in charge of "Paris" are wondering what part of the city would be the place to stay. They are hoping for somewhere in Paris where the young 20's crowd would stay and hang out.
I guess that's true for Amsterdam and London, in retrospect.
Thank you for your help. I realize we are very fortunate, and they also are very fortunate, and realize this is something not every family does for their children, but we value the closeness and they don't take our gift for granted. - They are 4 great kids, and we hope they have a wonderful experience and many fond memories of this time well after it's over.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM

will you adopt me

IMO
The Jordaan is the hip place in Amsterdam and The Marais in Paris.

I suggest they get apartments in each city.
There are threads on this forum.

bless you for being good parents ...
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 08:20 PM

For London and Paris...

I've just stayed at the Grosvenor House (beginning of February). It was OK in my book... not a great location IMO. I usually stay in S. Kensington and I prefer that area by far - easier to get around on the tube, more restaurants etc. close by. I like the Rembrandt; Kensington Hotel is also nice. A good mix of residential and hotels, close to good shopping and museums, some clubs and pubs, upscale neighbourhood. Your group, though, might want something a little less "neighbourhoody", hipper and with more nightlife, so maybe Soho/Covent Garden area would be good. How about somewhere like the Covent Garden Hotel or the Soho? Or St. Martin's Lane?

For Paris, I'd say the Left Bank - the 6th (St. Germain) or 5th (Latin Quarter). Or if the Right Bank, the Marais. There are 2 threads on here with lots of good recommendations - one for each bank.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm

I'm assuming they will get 2 rooms. Quads are hard to get in Europe - if that's what they want then they would be better off looking into apartment rentals.

Lucky kids! I hope they all get along well and enjoy the wonderful opportunity.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 04:24 AM
ira

Hi tea,

Adopt me.

As the 5th sibling, I can show the others around. I've been there.

In Paris, I suggest they look in the Marais district. That is currently the cool place.

For more upscale accomodations, I suggest the 6th.

Old Mar 1st, 2009, 10:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The 4th (Marais) or the 5th (Latin Quarter) in Paris.

Around the Leidseplein or Vondelpark in Amsterdam. I stayed at Hotel Kap and liked it OK, neither "seedy" or "nice" somewhere in between. Breakfast included. I recommend Let's Go Amsterdam as a great guidebook for the particulars of this city.

(kindly... re the title of your post, really the locations are way more important than the fact that the 4 kids are siblings... as far as getting answers to your questions.)
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 10:26 AM

"Hi tea,

Adopt me."

I literally choked a bit on my wine laughing at this.

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:41 AM

I think that teenagers wil find the Grosvenor House a bit stuffy. I'm 44 and I think it's stuffy.

There are a whole load of chic boutique hotels in London.

Here's the Guardians top 10:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/200.../hotels.london
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 04:42 AM

Will they want to meet other young people? If they are staying in the type of luxury places you are accustomed to as a family, they will be putting themselves out of the loop with the other college/twentysomething backpackers.

Hostels are a great way to meet other young people, but are not at all luxurious. Some are much nicer than others. In my younger days, it seemed like some sort of osmosis happened where everyone at the hostel passed on the names of the current cool hangouts in each city. You get a real international experience meeting people from all over. If they just want to hang in their own group and sightsee, maybe this won't be an issue for them.

I would suggest that the planners get on the Lonely Planet message boards to get input from people of their own age group about hip places to stay and go, especially if they do stick with apartments or nicer hotels. This way they will be armed with names of cool hangouts so they know where to go. Fodors is great, but we are definitely an older demographic. (No offense, Fodorites! I know we are all terribly hip!)
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 04:53 AM

Please don't take this wrong, as this is an actual recommendation.

Since they have always traveled with a "money is no object" sense, why not point them towards a holiday that is more related to the real world of college kids.

Tight budget, youth hostels, living out of a backpack. They may well find that it is a more eye opening experience and possibly more enjoyable.

Just a thought

dave
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:15 AM

My two pence worth on London

Charlotte Street Hotel - good area, NOHO (north of Soho) lots of shops, bars and places to eat - not cheap but central. I drink here a lot and has a great atmosphere
http://www.firmdale.com/index.php?page_id=13

St Martin Lane Hotel - incredibly cool, incredibly expensive, but hay once in a life trip
http://www.stmartinslane.com/#/home/
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally think the Grosvenor House would be the <u>last</u> (or close to last) property on a hotel list for four 18-20-somethings. Is it just because they are familiar w/ it and aren't that adventurous? That wasn't a slam - I mean if they aren't into finding new places/adventures, and can afford the GH - fine. But they are certainly not the GH's primary demographic.

If they have the money for that sort of place - they'd have the choice of LOTS of properties more suited to a young group.

Nothing at all wrong w/ it -- just seems an odd fit IMO . . . . .
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:02 AM

ADOPT ME!!! What lucky kids you have!

For Amsterdam, my hubby and I stayed at a great B&B
http://www.boogaardsbnb.com/

It is right off a main canal, easy walking distance to all the sites and centraal station...and Peter the host is great fun. The room we were in shared a space (kitchen/living area) with a compute with another room which might be perfect for your kids.

As for Paris, we always stay in Hotel St Jacques in the 5th. Its a nice 2 star hotel within walking distance of notre dame and the funky area of the 5th. http://www.hotel-saintjacques.com/

Hope your kids have a lively time!
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:05 AM
yk

For London, I agree that St Martins Lane would be pretty cool, and just steps away from nightlife.

Or the sister hotel Sanderson:
http://www.sandersonlondon.com/#/explore/?id=lobby

For Amsterdam, how about Hotel Pulitzer? That's where the gang of Ocean's Twelve stayed while they were in Amsterdam.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...propertyID=100
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Wow, you're all so cute! And helpful!!!
I am so psyched to be armed with this great information for my kids, and also, I didn't even KNOW that the Lonely Planet has a message board! That's cool to know. It will be a great resource for them, along with Fodors of course, because you've already helped so much!
Regarding Paris, the Left Bank and Marais were two areas my daughter was seriously looking into, so I guess she's on the right track there.
My boys are just starting now to look into Amsterdam and London, so your thoughts on places to stay will be a big help to them.
As far as I know, they won't be actively seeking out people to meet, because they have each other, but they are very friendly kids and I am sure they'll make friends along the way.
It will be wonderful for all four of them to be together like this, they are so excited, and I'm excited for them as well!
We'll keep checking back - Truly appreciated!
I'll let you know what they're thinking, and what they've chosen in the end!
Then, maybe, if I can get the story straight, I can post a trip report, but it might be hard considering I won't be along with them...
I agree that the Grosvenor House is too stuffy for them and it won't bring them in touch with kids their age - good point.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

I have emailed Boogardsbnd in Amsterdam to ask if they have availability - I do hope so!
My daughters love the recommended places for London and Paris as well.
So.. thanks everyone.. I have my fingers crossed for them!
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Is that "one week for Paris AND London AND Amsterdam?" Or "one week EACH in Paris, London, and Amsterdam?

We thought the Grosvenor was too stodgy even for two 40-somethings. We don't stay there any more.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In Paris I'd stay in the 4th or 5th. In Amsterdam somewhere around the canal rings or Leidseplein.

I've myself stayed at Hotel Kap in A'dam and Dacia Luxembourg in Paris, both 3-stars in good locations. but not sure if they would be up to the standards of this group.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 11:13 AM

There is a neat book series called Cool Hotels by teNeues. Here is the link to the Paris one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...encwordaday-20

I you look at the Table of Contents on the Amazon "look inside area", it lists the hotels. Then you can look them up on google. None of them are budget choices and some of them are way too stodgy, but there are some cool ones in there just like the title says. Hotel Du Bourg Tibourg in the Marais is nice, and l'hotel in the 6th won best urban hotel in the world from Harpers Bazaar. So at least it is fun to look and drool!
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

yk - My kids are booked at the Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam thanks to your recommendation - my daughter is still in a quandry about PARIS - she wants a "good hotel for 20 year olds" which means not too small - a good area for walking...
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
yk

Hi teadrinker - I don't have any suggestions for Paris, but have your daughter take a look at the WallPaper city guide for Paris. The WallPaper guides are geared for hip (and rich) people. another resource is:
http://www.designhotels.com/hotels/europe/france/paris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -