Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 nights on Amalfi Coast....with this itinerary where would you recommend we stay?

Search

4 nights on Amalfi Coast....with this itinerary where would you recommend we stay?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize this question has been asked too many times to count. I've been struggling with this and decided to ask for opinions. I'm allowing a day for Pompeii, a day to see Amalfi/Ravello (maybe a walk over to Atrani) and I want to see Positano too so I guess that would take part of the third day.

Originally I wanted to stay in Positano and have since reconsidered because of prices and all the steps.
Changed to Sorrento but obviously not convinced since I'm posting this.

Would love to hear your thoughts and if you can improve my itinerary, please do so.

This will be sometime between mid-September to early October if it matters.

Thanks.

Old Mar 27th, 2008, 03:18 PM

Sorrento would be a good choice as it is easy to get to the rest of the places you want to visit from there. Personally, I think it is a better base than Positano.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 03:23 PM

What you sacrifice for a view in Sorrento(although Mt Vesuvius and the Marina Piccolo, from the terrace of our room at La Tonarella is out of this world), you make up for the convenience in getting to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 03:24 PM

Is the Isle of Capri not on your agenda? If not, why not?

You can reach the mainland points of interest easily by boat (except for Pompeii maybe) and IMO has the most to offer. This is especially true in the evenings when the daytrippers have left. No cars buzzing around either. Delightful!
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 03:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I like Sorrento, so I'm inclined to agree with Carolina. I would add a day-trip to Capri in your plans.

Something else you might want to consider: Get to the archeological museum in Naples when it opens, see the Pompeii artifacts, and then visit Pompeii in the afternoon. You could spend an entire day at Pompeii (we did), but the museum is definitely worth trying to fit into your short stay.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 03:29 PM

In case I wasn't clear - I should say that I suggest that you make Capri your base. Use a day or two exploring the island and the other days 'commuting' to the mainland...
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Yes...I did want to get out to Capri and my original plan was an extra night in this area for that reason. I'm hoping some relatives are making this trip with us and they have time constraints so I shortened this area by a night. If they do not go I'll definitely stay on Capri for a night.
And if they go and we find we have the time it will be a bonus!

I can't imagine using Capri as a base however...seems to me you would use a lot of time traveling back and forth on the water....or would it actually be faster? Would love to hear from someone who's done this.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 05:25 AM

HI TF - I think Capri would be inconvenient as a base (- and potentially costly with added ferry/hydrofoil fares) - especially if you're planning 2 of those days on the Amalfi Coast.

Ferry/hydrofoil timetables between Capri and Positano/Amalfi work well for day-trippers TO Capri FROM the Amalfi Coast - but NOT vice versa, unfortunately.
(Capri-Amalfi services run late p.m)

This means that to visit the Amalfi Coast you'd have to go via Sorrento (- and continue from there by bus or ferry) - so yes, you would spend a lot of time travelling.

Steve

Old Mar 28th, 2008, 05:31 AM

Sorrento is an excellent base and so easy to get to Pompeii from there (We took the train and it takes you right there) You can easily take the hydrofoil as mentioned to Capri as a day trip.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 05:34 AM

If I were you, I'd stay in Positano. Remember that 4 nights is really 3 full days, so you could do this:

POSITANO:
day1: Arrival.
day2: Enjoy Positano.
day3: Amalfi and Ravello.
day4: Pompeii.

Try this hotel http://www.bougainville.it/
I think it's a good inexpensive choice.

I think Sorrento is convenient just to visit Capri and Pompeii and if you stayed, your itinerary would be this:

SORRENTO:
day1: Arrival.
day2: Pompeii.
day3: Positano.
day4: Amalfi and Ravello.

You wouldn't have a day off to enjoy the place where you're basing because you'll be daytripping everyday. You could have a day off in Sorrento by hiring a driver and visit Positano, Amalfi and Ravello in one day, but that's certainly not inexpensive and that sounds to me like an episode of the Amazing Race.

There's a reason why Sorrento is cheaper than the Amalfi Coast and it's because it's not as beautiful.

That's my opinion, though.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 06:27 AM

If Positano hotel prices are a concern, I can't imagine that staying on Capri will save you any money, especially if you'll be commuting to the mainland daily.

I also say that Sorrento makes the most sense as your base.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Well, Sorrento is not an ugly place lacking views. It's a pretty town on a cliff overlooking the Bay of Naples. We stayed in town at the Bellevue Syrene in a room with a view of the bay and a balcony hanging out over it.

The views in Sorrento are not the same as those on the Amalfi Coast and maybe not quite so choice, but still....
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 07:44 AM

Why don't you consider Amalfi itself? There seem to be a number of moderately priced hotels... After a long debate about the merits of various towns, I chose Amalfi for a trip next month...
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Amalfi is a great choice. Convenient to everything except Pompei and Naples.

That said, I also very much enjoyed Sorrento. Convenient to everything except Ravello. The view across the bay to Naples and Vesuvius is spectacular. You will be happy either way.

If it makes a difference, Sorrento is a bit easier to get to.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM

We spent 4 nights in Sorrento in July of 2006 (Were there when Italy won the World Cup. Very exciting!!) We enjoyed Sorrento! We had a car but just parked it at our hotel and one day took the train to Pompeii, another day the hydrofoil to Capri, and another day the bus to Positano and a boat back to Sorrento. Sorrento makes a perfect home base to explore the area. We stayed at Hotel Settimo Cielo (seventh heaven) on Via Capo and had a balcony on the Bay of Naples with Mt. Vesuvius in the background and Marina Grande below. Just stunning! This is not a fancy hotel but very comfortable and the views spectacular. Also has a very nice rooftop pool.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Another good choice is Praiano. You can jump on the bus and go see everything from there. Sleepinginitaly.com, has some very reasonible villas for rent. Its is a little less costly there also. Villa Fulvia has Fantastic views also. You are over looking the water. Wow...
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 03:31 PM

bkmk
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 06:09 PM

I have been in love with Positano for years, and you really can't get a feel for the town unless you slow down and spend some time there (meaning, spend the night). It is by far the most beautiful town on the Amalfi Coast, and in my opinion, deserves much more time than just an afternoon pass through.

Wendy
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Sorrento....Positano....Sorrento....Positano...I knew this would happen. My heart says Positano, my brain says Sorrento. ....
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 07:49 PM

Go with your heart and stay in Positano. If you want to visit the Amalfi Coast, you should stay on the Amalfi Coast.

The only downside of staying on the AC (rather than Sorrento) is that it will take a little longer to get to Pompeii. But that's just one day! You say you also want to visit Amalfi and Ravello, and if you stay in Sorrento, it will take longer to get there than it will from Positano. Capri is easily accessible from either.

Positano is pricier, but look at Villa Rosa or Villa La Tartana. You won't regret it.

(You won't regret staying in Sorrento either, but you might get a little twinge when dining in Positano and seeing what the view from your balcony could've been.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -