Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 Nights in Rome - What do you think of this itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:00 AM
lonelyplanet

I am planning my trip to Italy for this year's September. I've chosen to stay at a hotel in Campo Marzio. This is my itinerary:

DAY1-SUN: Arrival in the morning. Afternoon off in Villa Borghese to rest.

DAY2-MON: Campo Marzio (Piazza della Rotonda, Piazza Navona and Campo dei Fiori surrounding area) in the morning. Trastevere in the afternoon.

DAY3-TUE: Vaticano (St. Peter's Church and Sixtine Chapel) in the morning. Via Appia Antica (Catacombe di San Callisto) in the afternoon.

DAY4-WED: Galleria Borghese, Via Veneto, Piazza Spagna and Fontana di Trevi in the morning. Piazza Venezia, Colosseo, San Pietro in Vincoli and San Clemente in the afternoon.

On day 2, I'm planning to do a self-guided walk of Campo Marzio (4 hours) and a self-guided walk of Trastevere (2 hours).

On day 3, I would have to take the subway from Vatican City to Piazza di San Giovanni in Laterano, and then a bus to Via Appia Antica to visit the Catacombe di San Callisto. I know that these two places are very far from each other, but I don't know how to combine Vatican City or Via Appia Antica with any of the other areas that I want to visit. Would you visit them in a different way? If so, how?

What do you think of day 4? Am I expecting to see too much that day?

Thanks for your opinions!

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
WE just got back from 7 nights in Rome, and did less than you! Apart from day 2, you are planning far too much, but wasting day 1. With your central location, you could surely do most of day 2 on day 1 - just wandering around, having the odd drink or gelato, saving Trastevere until a spare afternoon. Day 3 looks impossible to me - it will take you all day to do the vatican museums an St. Peter's, and you will be very tired afterwards, unless you just rush round and don't see anything properly.
Day 4 is also impossible - if only because of the queues at the colosseum. These are horrific, but can be avoided by buying the combined ticket at the Palatine - which you don't mention, but was well worth visiting, as it makes the Forum far more understandable, and has lovely views. Apart from galleria Borghese, your other plans for day 4 morning are free, and could be visited in the evenings, when the shops will be open. San Clemente was ok, but we liked other churches, like San Cecilia in Trastevere more -[E3 for the crypt with beautiful chapel] and San Passede more.
In 7 days, we never got anywhere near any catacombs - there was just too much else to do. You don't mention the forum, the capitoline museums, or just wandering around - surely one of the best if not the best city in the world for doing that, when there is a treasure round every corner. Hope this helps - good luck!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have to cut something , cut the catacombs. They are overrated, you're not missing much if you don't go.

You don't have any time devoted for the Roman Forum area?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:12 AM
lonelyplanet

Thanks Annhig. I really appreciate your opinion.

I am only interested in visiting St. Peter's Church and the Sixtine Chapel in Vatican City. I'm not interested in visiting the other Vatican Museums because, I think that large museums must be visited by bits so that you can assimilate what you are seeing and don't feel overwhelmed by so much art all at once.

You are totally right about day 1. I could visit Fontana di Trevi, Piazza Spagna and Via Veneto on my way to Villa Borghese that afternoon or, as you say, wander around them in the evening since they are really places to hang out having an ice-cream or something. That means that I will visit Galleria Borghese in the morning of day 4 and organize better what to visit in the afternoon.

As for the Colosseo, Fori Imperiali and Foro Romano, I am not interested in going into these places. Just by seeing them from outside is enough for me. Forgive me if I sound uncultured, but I like being honest to myself. I am not the kind of person who visits a place just because you are supposed to or because other people might say you are crazy for not seeing this or that particular landmark.

I am totally into churches and squares. That's my thing.

I know that 4 nights in Rome are not enough and there is a lot to see. I have read my bookguide from beginning to end, and these are the only places that I don't want to miss. I guess that I have to narrow it down to fewer landmarks, though.

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:25 AM
lonelyplanet

Thanks Cruiseluv.

I guess that I have to look up more information about the catacombs to reconsider visiting them. Perhaps, I am giving too much importance to them and, as you mention, they are really not worth the long trip down to Via Appia Antica.

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:48 AM

You mention you only wish to see the Sistine Chapel and St. Peters. It took us, last Sept, about two hours to get to and see the Chapel. You move pretty slowly through all the other gallleries, you have no choice there is not a quick way to just do the Chapel. They channel you where they want you to go, so don't think you will wizz in and wizz out cos it aint' going to happen. YOu need to allow plenty of time, it is well worth the effort and some of the other galleries along the way, in particular the map gallery are just fabulous, take it all in.

If you do the Sistine Chapel first you can exit directly from the Chapel through a small door at the rear marked for tour groups only! This will take you behind St. Peters and you can get in very quickly. Otherwise you have to walk a long way back around to the front of St. Peters from the Chapel if you go out the main exit. We forgot to do this and it was a long walk back!

We were not particularly impressed with the Trastevere area to be honest, I am sure there are others who rave about it, but apart from a beautiful church with gorgeous mosaics there wasn't an awful lot going for it. It was a Sunday so maybe that accounted for something. It was full of graffiti, noticeably more so than on the other side of the river as it were. Just a comment - don't shoot me down in flames the Trastevere fans. But a whole afternoon would be wasted I feel, slip something from one of the other busy days into this day. We also did a self guided tour from my AA Rome guide book, but still...
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 05:12 AM

I like trestevere. Go in the early evening and have dinner there.
The catacombs are nice, but I'd skip it on this trip.I've done the subway to Laterno and bus to Appian way. It will take up much of the day to travel and enjoy all this.
Looking at your presonal preference, I'd recommend the scavi tour at the Vatican the same day you visit the museum.
Re: "Forgive me if I sound uncultured, but I like being honest to myself. I am not the kind of person who visits a place just because you are supposed to"-
No one is telling that you are "suppose to" visit anything. You could spend your entire time in Rome sitting in Piazza Navona and have a great trip.
That said, you did ask "What do you think of this itinerary?", so don't be surpised that many of us are amazed that you'd skip the Forum for Tratevere or some of your other choices.
I'd keep your last day somewhat free. Have two or three potential options and make up your mind then. The weather also may change your plans around a little.
If you are totally into churches and squares, you could spend your entire trip just enjoying them.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 05:29 AM

<<4 Nights in Rome - What do you think of this itinerary?>>

No chance of adding 10 days??

Seriously, you're not going to see everything on your list on day 3 or 4.

Day 3 should be THREE days.
You could easliy spend 2 full days in Vatican City and a full day seeing the sights along Appia antica.

Day 4 is at least 2 days.

There are about 50-100 other "must see" churches, museums, historical sights, streets, neighborhoods, etc. for your "next trip".

That said, you have grouped things pretty well. Just be aware of your top 1 or 2 priorities each day and don't sweat it if you miss some others. For instance, don't even think about climbing St. Peter's dome.

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 05:37 AM

I missed something you said above: You cannot see the Sistine Chapel without going through the Vatican Museum (and its lines). Unless maybe you have some inside Vatican connections...
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:08 AM

When you're in Trastevere, stop in to Artu Cafe for some Mozzarella Fritte...yummy!!!!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:11 AM

bardo is right...to see the Sistine Chapel, you have to go through the WHOLE Vatican Museum tour...it took forever to get to the Sistine!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Also keep in mind that many of churches still observe an afternoon siesta, and will be closed for several hours. We forgot about this and missed San Clemente and St. Peter in Chains on our last trip because of it. Schedule the churches for the mornings or late afternoons, and leave your afternoons free for exploring the piazzas, fountains, etc.

I do agree with the others that you are trying to do too much. I've been to Rome three times in the last two years and there are still many things that I have yet to see. Pace yourself and just enjoy being in Rome. My favorite experiences in Rome involve just strolling, stopping for cappuccino and gelato, taking in a new sight that I stumbled upon....Rome should be savored slowly. The sights that you miss will be there when you go back.

Tracy
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:22 AM

You do not have to go through the whole Vatican tour to get to the Sistine Chapel. You do have to walk some distance through the museum, but by following the signs that direct you to the Raphael Stanza and the Sistine Chapel, you can skip past much. I've done this a few times in recent years with friends whose interests were similar to lonelyplanets'.

Following the most direct route, the mseum and chapel still took us 1.5 hours in all. We arrived around noon and had no line--headed straight to the Sistine Chapel. This route took us past some sculptures, some tapestries, the map gallery, the Raphael and Papal Apartments, and finally the Sistine Chapel.

We exited via the group exit that takes you directly to St Peter's, avoiding the 10-mintues walk back to the museum main entrance, and then the 10-minute walk around the Vatican walls to St Peter's. It also avoids the security line to get into St Peter's.

By the way, since the Forum is free, you can walk right through an d take as much or as little time as you want.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:29 AM
lonelyplanet

Thanks Schnauzer. I'll take your Sixtine Chapel first and the St. Peter's Church advise into account. Although, I am pretty sure there will be a lot of people in line anyway, I will try to be there as early as possible.

You're right Jabez. I guess my "forgive me if I sound uncultured..." comment was a little agressive, and I apologize for that. After all, I did ask for opinions and people are telling me what they think. I just wanted to specify that I wasn't interested in the Colosseo, the Foro Romano and the Fori Imperiali before I was told those were more important landmarks.

Bardo1, I wish I could stay in Rome for 10 nights, but I can't. I will do what you suggested. I'll focus on a couple of landmarks I don't want to miss per day and not sweat it if I don't have a chance to see them all.

These are the changes that I have made:

DAY3-TUE: Vatican City in the morning.
Afternoon off.

DAY4-WED: Galleria Borghese in the morning. Afternoon off.

So far, those are the landmarks that I wouldn't want to miss those two days.

I still have some decisions to make concerning what to visit those 2 other afternoons, though.

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:44 AM

Hi lonelyplanet,

I agree that you will not be able to do all on your list in just 4 days. I think you have enough input already to re-think and prioritize.

I have to say that I feel you are going with a somewhat closed mind. I think you are limiting yourself to go to Rome and say you are not interested in "seeing things just because you are supposed to" . How do you know you won't find the Forum, etc. interesting? You might be surprised!

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:44 AM
lonelyplanet

Thanks Michellin for the Trastevere recommendation and for sharing your Sixtine Chapel experience.

Thanks Ellenem for the Sixtine Chapel route. I'll take the Forum tip into account. Maybe I am neglecting the Forum. Sometimes, you read about something that seems amazing, and, when you get there, it isn't really that great and viceversa. Perhaps I am judging the Forum for what I have read and the pictures that I have seen and, when I am there, I'll want to get in and I'll find it totally great.

I have taken the early afternoon siestas into account Tcreath. I think that you're right, I have to pace myself and enjoy strolling around the city a bit more like Annhig also said than just focusing on visiting landmarks as if it were a race. After all, it's like you said, Rome will still be there when I go back to Italy. I sure don't want to think of this trip as my only one.

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:55 AM
lonelyplanet

You're right Dayle. I am reconsidering the whole landmark/itinerary dilemma.

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 07:22 AM

You've received lots of good advice. If you want the best view of the Forum without going in, when you are in Piazza Venezia, go around the back of the Vittorio Emanuele II Monument and up the long stairs past the huge statues of Castor & Pollux. The Capitoline Museum is up there as well if you're interested, but directly ahead is the Senate. Go around the right side and behind the Senate for a great view of the Forum and part of the Colosseum.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 07:23 AM

I should have added that if you're facing the Vittorio Emanuele II Monument, you want to go around the right side to get to the stairs.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 08:54 AM

I would not do the Forum without a tour. It makes all the difference. There's a very inexpensive one that lasts about an hour that hits the highlights.
do not recommend the vatican in the morning for such a short trip.he lines can be very long. ou could easily do an early morning tour at the Forum, stop and see the mamertine prison and make it to St. Peter's for a short tour. Grab a bite nearby and enter around 1pm. Rent an audio tape and only stop at tings you want to see. When you reach the Sistine the taoppe takes about 25 minutes explaining everything you see.
For your information, Piazzas Navona and Fiori are all close to each other and the Pantheon. You can trolley (about 10 minutes) to Trestevere.
With such a short trip it's like going to a great restaurant with only 20 minutes for your meal. It's much better to enjoy a great appetizer than try and rush than hurry through a meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -