4 nights in Provence - where to go?

Feb 12th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

4 nights in Provence - where to go?

I have four nights to be in Provence. I am only familiar with the area from the movie "A Good Year." Where should my wife and I spend these four nights? We love food and wine and will rent a car. Don't like things that are too touristy. Will plan to fly out of Marseille.
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:56 PM

St-Rémy. Do a search on here and read up about it.
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:23 AM

Avignon. Beautiful! See www.avignon-et-provence.com
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:53 AM

Aix is my favorite. You'll also want to see a couple of the Luberon hill towns--Menerbes, Bonnieux, Gordes, Rousillon...
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:56 AM

Don't know if you've done this yet but click "Destinations" above on the orange tool bar then "Europe" then "France" then "Provence" then "Best in 3 Days" to get aquainted with the area.

There are many threads about Provence so use the "Search this forum" box to find info from locals and seasoned travelers.

Also type "StuDudley" in the search box as he is a fan of Provence with lots of experience. He'll be happy to send you 20 pages of useful info on the region.

You might try to visit a large town (Avignon), a medium sized town (St. Remy) and to drive through all the tiny hill towns of the Luberon.

If you are interested in markets you might want to plan your days around when they are held in the various towns. I believe the biggest one is in L'Il Sur la Sorgue on Sunday and there is another well received one on Wednesdays in St. Remy. I believe there is one nearly every day of the week in Provence.
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:58 AM

As amwosu mentioned, I have a 20+ page itinerary for the Cote d'Azur & Provence that I've sent to over 500 people on this message board. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy.

Stu Dudley