Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   4 Nights in Prague (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/4-nights-in-prague-1469060/)

joanw Aug 29th, 2017 02:50 PM

4 Nights in Prague

Hi all, We will have 4 nights in Prague in October, We all have ideas on what we want to do, but we'd like to know what are YOUR 3 favorite things to do, 3 favorite restaurants and 3 favorite bars.
What about a day trip outside Prague? Thanks in advance.

KarenWoo Aug 29th, 2017 03:14 PM

I have been to Prague twice. My 3 favorite things to do: (It's tough to narrow it down to 3.)

Prague Castle
Walk across Charles Bridge many times and take photos. Do this in the early morning if possible, and of course at night.
Visit Vysehrad area of Prague - one of our favorite areas.

Let me describe Vysehrad. The first time we visited Prague was in October when our daughter was studying there. We loved visiting in October! Our daughter took classes at Vysehrad & wanted us to see her classrooms. I have wonderful memories of us slowly walking up the hill, shuffling through the fallen leaves, and overlooking the river. Beautiful views, with crisp autumn air, and colorful leaves. We visited the beautiful twin-towered small church, Bazilika Sv. Petra & Pavla, and the beautiful national cemetery where famous Czechs are buried. There are remains of a 1000-year old fortress, too. This area is where Prague was born. We were here in October and August, and both times it was not over run with tourists.

3 favorite restaurants -
Hostinec U Kroka, just below Vysehrad
Cervena Sedma on Kampa Island
U Modre Kachnicky in Mala Strana - expensive, fancy
We last visited Prague in 2009, so my notes could be outdated.

I didn't write down any names of bars, but in the autumn season, we were able to walk up to restaurants/bars with open windows, and order hot mulled wine from the windows. One of our favorite activities!

joannyc Aug 29th, 2017 03:28 PM

<< What about a day trip outside Prague? >>

Terezin

KarenWoo Aug 29th, 2017 03:44 PM

the Bone Church.
some people visit Cesky Krumlov as a day trip, but we stayed there 2 nights and loved it. It is very crowded during the day with bus tours, but at night it was beautiful and quiet.

Andrew Aug 29th, 2017 07:08 PM

My favorite thing to do in Prague is just walk around! It's a lovely, compact walking town that also has great public transportation: trams, buses, and subways. The Old town Square is, I think, my favorite in Europe, even though it is usually mobbed from late morning to the evening with tourists.

The Charles Bridge is perhaps the city's top tourist attraction: a neat bridge with prominent religious statues along it. The bridge too is very crowded with tourists much of the day; if you can get up early enough, like at daybreak, go walk on the bridge early in the morning, when it's nearly empty! (Last time I did that, with a red sky at daybreak, I was out there with my camera and tripod and no one else except about a dozen other photographers!)

On my first visit to Prague in 2005, I had hoped to visit Kutna Hora to see the "bone church," aka the Sedlec Ossuary, but I didn't make it out there. So in 2012 I made sure I visited. And...it was a bit of a let-down, maybe because my expectations had been building for years. The church is small and indeed very unique, but it seemed like a lot of effort to see it.

Cesky Krumlov is a nice town, much more interesting to visit (as a town) than Kutna Hora in my view. Now there is direct train service in addition to daily bus service, as I understand it, so that would make a day trip by train fairly easy.

fourfortravel Aug 29th, 2017 09:25 PM

I like the farmers markets, particularly the one in Holesovice. And, as someone above mentioned, Vysehrad is pretty in autumn.

We like "Deer" and "Casserol," for restaurants, though you would do well to make reservations at both.