Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 months in Europe based in Rome...where to go?

Dec 6th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi, I will be in Rome from January until the end of April. I will be studying, but will have Thursday thru Sunday available to travel. I would like to travel 2 or 3 weekends each month, for a total of between 8 and 10 places. I am having trouble narrowing down the cities I would like to visit. I know that I will only have 3 days in each place I visit, but I would like to see as much of Europe as possible during my 4 months. I would like to travel to unique places, and see the diversity of Europe. If anyone has any suggestions of about 10 cites/places to see that are each quite unique, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Dec 6th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Venice
Paris
Amsterdam
Dec 6th, 2007, 08:21 AM

There are several budget airlines that fly from FCO and CIA. Usually they have late night flights. If you don't have class Thursday, you could fly out Wednesday night. Watch for sales on their web sites. Sometimes you can find flights for just a few euro.
www.whichbudget.com
www.skyscanner.net

Dec 6th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Since you only have weekends, I'd concentrate on Italy. Save seaside places like the Cinque Terre and the Amalfi Coast for warmer weather in April. There's a lot to see around the Sorrentine Peninsula: Pompeii and Herculaneum, Paestum, Naples, the Isle of Capri as well as the Amalfi Coast. Venice will be best early in the season when there are fewer tourists, ditto Florence, which might work on a rainier weekend.

It's harder to appreciate the Italian countryside without a car, but Perugia would make a good base for Umbria, with buses and trains. You might try Siena for Tuscany.

I assume you're a student. You might find you'll get together with others for trips. My son spent a semester in Rome, and the school organized some trips, the students grouped up for others.

Finally, for farther flung destinations, check out cheap flights at www.whichbudget.com.
Dec 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Good question !
From Rome--in those months--I will suggest to you:
Florence--of course
Venice--of course
Palermo[fly Airone]
Positano/Naples
Perugia[Intl. Univ.]/Assisi
Taormina[April]
Orvieto[ short trip]

That is a good start. Have fun !
Dec 6th, 2007, 10:05 AM

I agree to look for the budget airlines. There are dozens of great cities within a couple of hours by air - and I would watch for deals - and go where the supercheap flights are.
Dec 6th, 2007, 10:46 AM

I agree with the folks who say you might want to spend more time in Italy., but here are a few cities I've found rewarding, and about how much time I'd allot to each:

Paris -- as much time as you can.
Amsterdam -- 3 days
Vienna -- three days
Bruges -- 1 day
London -- as much time as you can.
Madrid -- 3 days
Seville -- 3 days

Can you take some time to travel after your courses end? Ideal time to see another country in depth or hit a few highlights of several.
Dec 6th, 2007, 12:19 PM

I'd suggest a weekend in Bologna. It is easy to get to from Rome by train, it has some great churhces and architecture (medieval) that is different from most other places in Italy, it is the home of Europe's oldest university (or one of the oldest if I'm not totally accurate), and has some great nightlife (owing to the university).
Dec 6th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Emmy--
wow, lucky you!

Years ago, I did this as a student in England. The hardest part was not having a car. Hostels were great to find people to eat dinner with etc. Traveling with someone can be good, but plan for "alone time" too. Seeing the country you're in can be pretty amazing, and there is so much in Italy.

If you're heart is set on a particular European city, I would do that one for sure.

After that, consider what places you might go back to in future for longer trips? Versus, what places would be more expensive from your home country? For example, if there's a cheap ticket from Rome to Athens or Prague, maybe you want to go to one of those? Whereas, you are more likely to go to London or Paris later and they are often the cheapest direct flights.

Post again and let us know some of your travels. Buon viaggio!