4 London Hotels to choose from

Jul 18th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Annerose

4 London Hotels to choose from

I am considering the following hotels and would appreciate any input.

Hilton Green Park
Plaza on Hyde Park
Grange Strathmore

Thank you.

Jul 18th, 2001, 11:58 AM
JOdy

Stayed briefly at Grange Strathmore, good location but as soon as we checked in we immeadiately went looking for other quarters. it just seemed slightly dirty and seedy, like everything was overlaid with a film od dust,sabby bathroom, nohangers, tiny closet,the blankets disgusting, and I wasn't even sure the sheets were clean maybe they were just wrinkled and dingy and I swear there are people living there permanently as I saw schoolchildren peeking out the doors, maybe the staff lives in, Whatever, we managed to get out after 2 nights and went back to our old standby, Aster house. I had just wanted to try something different but this sure wasn.t it. Our room was also at the end of a hall behind 2 fire doors, the end of the hall was a dead end, a fire anywhere from our room to the stairs would have been impossible to escape. Sorry if I sound paranoid but I've been in 1 hotel fire and never agai if I can help it.
it did have a nice breakfast selection, if you could get by the lounge/lobby area without being overcome with smell of stale cigarettes.

Jul 19th, 2001, 01:16 PM

topping

Jul 19th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Annerose

Thank you Jody. That certainly narrows down the choices!! We will forget about the Strathmore and check out Aster House.

Jul 19th, 2001, 01:46 PM
JOdy

http://welcome2london.com/AsterHouse/

Hi Annerose,

The hotels you mentioned are all large commerical ones, Aster Houseis a small ( 12 room) hotel, but in the same area, even better I think. It is very charming , each room different, spotlesly clean totally non-smoking, even has a garden with resident ducks. We have stayed there foroyears and it just keeps getting better. walking distance, to harrods, V and A, nat'l history, Beauchamp Place, Kings rd, Fulham Rd and Christies, the main attraction for me. Loads of restaurants and a residential feel, 2 min walk from S Ken tube. it may not suit but do check it out, it is much more amenable to me than larger impersoal hotels.

Jul 19th, 2001, 03:30 PM
jhm

As a side note, the Hilton on Green Park is in a really good location in Mayfair and is within walking distance from Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, Green Park, etc.

Jul 20th, 2001, 05:23 AM
Janie

I work nr Green Park and I live near Hyde Park. Both of these areas are perfect for central London. Any other hotel you should choose in central London are of benefit for travel, ie buses, underground and trains.
Here is a site for some great hotels and most would be a good choice (from 3 stars upwards). Maps available.
On this site, I would recommend any of these areas: Bayswater, Kensington, Hyde Pk, Lancaster Gate, Marble Arch, Mayfair, Oxford Circus, Victoria (any others are not, in my view, as good as these). Best of luck.

Jul 20th, 2001, 05:24 AM
Janie

Sorry here's the site....
http://www.londonhotel.com/index.html

Aug 30th, 2001, 09:43 AM
JOdy

Topping for Corey

Aug 30th, 2001, 09:47 AM
pete

Try the Millenium hotel chain. We stayed at the Millenium Knightsbridge for a special rate of 120GBP last year. It's a business class hotel, so not very charming, but it was comfortable, had all amenities and was right next to Harrods & Harvey Nichols and the Knightsbridge tube station. I found that Millenium had some fairly good deals on all their hotels--check their webpage.

Aug 30th, 2001, 12:56 PM
XXX

Just returned from a trip to London on Sunday, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Mayfair near Green Park Station it was a wonderful location to get everything done. We walked to the palace and Trafalgar Sq. and the Big Bus sightseeing buses are infront of the station which made it easy for during the day and in the evening you can walk to Soho and China Town. So in my opinion the Green park area is a perfect location for either walking around or transportation.