Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 Hour layover in Schiphol - Amsterdam. Enough time to leave airport and see some sights???

Search

4 Hour layover in Schiphol - Amsterdam. Enough time to leave airport and see some sights???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will have just under a 4 hour layover in Amsterdam before proceeding to Barcelona. We would like to, if at all possible, leave the airport for a little while to see a few sights. Our plane will be arriving in Amsterdam at 5:55am on Sunday, August 3, 2003 and leaving at 9:45am that same morning. I understand due to the day and the time, nothing will be open. I guess my main questions are:

Would we have enough time to leave the airport?

What sights would be worth seeing in our limited time frame?

What would be the best way to go about seeing these sights? Are taxis are viable option?

We don't want to see the entire city... just a few bits and pieces... take a few pictures... and be able to say we were there. This is the first leg of our trip(After spending a night in Barcelona, we will be leaving on a 12 day cruise visiting Villafrache, France; Florence, Rome, and Naples, Italy; Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Greece; and lastly Malta) but I am sure I'll be back to ask questions about sites and the such on the other legs of out trip. Thank you for any information you can supply.

Scott
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Hi,

just last Summer I also had a 4 hour layover in Amsterdam, in my experience it's enough time to go see the city and get a taste of the atmosphere. There's a train from the airport to the railway station which is right in the city center and near the canals. The train ride takes only about 20 min and a roundtrip shouldn't cost more than 5 euros.

You're right, probably no place is open at that time of day but it's still worth the visit. I just walked around and had a cup of coffee beside the canal. It seems like a wonderful city and certainly would deserve a longer visit but you can still experience sth in just a few hours.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Scott, you don't have much time, that's for sure and it's a Sunday morning to boot. I don't know if I would venture very far, but you could chance a trip into the city.

You can take an express train into Centraal Station. At that point, you could go out and take in a little of Amsterdam by walking along the Damrak down to Dam Square. In an hour or two, you could take in a little of the city. You just head straight out from the station's main entrance.

You could at least 'see' Amsterdam. Train times will ultimately dictate what you can do, however. Best of luck.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:35 AM
Bootman4U

As the above have indicated, trains take about 15-20 minutes from the airport...make CERTAIN you get on a train that is going to Centraal Station..some of them don't. There is a ticket office in the airport and the train station is an escalator ride just below..follow the signs.
If you want to at least walk as far as the Dam go directly out the fron door of the station, cross the canal and follow the street directly in front of you for about five blocks. Even on an early Sunday morning I think it is worth your time and really quite easy to do. Enjoy

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! Now please forgive my ignorance but did I read correctly in the post that there is a dam nearby the Station? I am not at all familiar with Amsterdam so please forgive me. What other landmarks are nearby that would be worth a photo opportunity?
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:00 AM

No, the 'Dam' is Dam Square. It's in the city center, so to speak. You'll walk right along a canal to get to it and it isn't far.

I suggest that you do some research before you go so that you can make the most of the little time you have. Check out this site: http://www.channels.nl/index.html
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the site! Don't mind doing the research... just need a little nudge sometimes in the beginning as to where to start I'll be sure to check the site out... I agree that researching will allow us to make the most out of our time. We plan to research ever port we are hitting on our cruise as well. With the limited time, we are hoping, that with research, we can eliminate sites we dont care to visit ahead of time.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:48 AM

Here's a little help with the geography of Amsterdam which is below the level of the North Sea (and I hope I will be forgiven). If you leave the Central Station and walk aout 2 blocks and turn 2 blocks left you will find the dames. The dykes are all over.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:56 AM

FYI - I just read in a magazine (Metropolitan Home) last night that the airport in Amsterdam (not sure if it is Schiphol but if that is the main airport then I assume it is) actually has an "annex" of the Rijskmuseum. The article said that the airport annex actually contains Rembrandts and other major art works. So if you do end up at the airport, what a great way to spend some time!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:07 AM

I think the advice you've receieved is very good. Four hours will give you time to see a bit of the city and still get back to the airport to board your plane for Barcelona. For those who may read this post later to gain info about their trips a bit of warning. If you are flying into AMS from another EU distination and then traveling on to the US on a large (747 or similar) flight, I would not advise going into the city with only 4 hours between flights. Security in AMS for a transatlantic flight is very tight with lengthy interviews of all travelers and move from one lounge to another so that you should allow plenty of time for boarding--like an hour and a half or so. Far less boarding time on the small city hopper type planes they have for intraEU flights so you don't have to worry on the way over and can take more time to go into the city. At least that's how it's been in my experience.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:19 AM

I agree with the last person about the security and length of time needed to return to the US. Each time we thought we were finished w/our passports and luggage inspection, we got to another checkpoint after a long walk. Something like 4 passport checks and 3 luggage checks and then an interview. Certainly made us feel secure. No objections. Maybe the US could tighten up a bit.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

I know that on our return flight, our layover is not very long... less than 2 hours so we had no plans on leaving then. Hopefully we will not have any problems on the return flights.

As far as seeing the sights, I do appreciate all of the info. I will do some research on the area I have been told to check out but I may be back to ask some more questions on landmarks(Would like to get atleast a few pictures). With limited time, want to see all that I can
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 01:03 PM

Bravo for taking the chance at seeing a bit of the city. My suggestion is, upon arrival at Central Station, to NOT walk down the Damrak, especially on a Sunday morning, It's seedy, and "scenic" but not in a good way. Instead, walk toward the Singel or Herengracht Canal (to your right as you exit the station) and take that around as far as your time permits. You can scurry back along the Damrak if you're out of time, but don't let it be your first impression of the city!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 03:40 PM

I agree whole heartedly with patg. Don't let a walk down Damrak be your only impression of AMS. The canals are much prettier. Be sure you take a good map with you so you can find your way to and from easily.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Patg - thanks for the info! I am sure once we get there and leave the station, we'll know more about the places everyone keeps meantioning and just go from there

Jumba - have and bakeries you can suggest? Also, what time do they open on a Sunday morning?!?! Early enough for us to enjoy one?
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 06:16 AM

No specific recommendations, but you could try to have a Dutch breakfast of "uitsmijter" (eggs). The good thing about Sunday morning is that it won't be very busy, so even if there would be a problem with the train, a taxi would only take 15/20 minutes to Schiphol. And if you're stuck at the airport due to a delay, there is a lot to do there; even an outpost of the Rijksmuseum.