4 days with family in December

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Marty Edwards

4 days with family in December

I will be arriving in Geneva on December 26 with my husband and 4 teenage daughters. We want to see the Alps and relax and get a feel for Switzerland. Where can we stay for less than $250/night and have room to spread out and have a base for exploring Switzerland and/or French alps? What do you suggest we do? We have four nights and then have to leave.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Selena

In your search engine type in "Apartments in Geneva" and you will find short term apartment rentals that would be right for you.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 03:17 AM
xxx

Suggest you:

- go to ONE place for your 4 days, it's not enough time to hop around, plus why not enjoy one great resort area on its own?

- for France, try Chamonix (1 hr. from Geneva), lots of little regions in addition around it like Argentiere, Les Houches, etc. Chamonix is accessible easily by car or by bus (from the Gare Routiere, Geneva)

- try Verbier (2 hrs from Geneva by car), in Switzerland. Some of the best skiing around.

- try Zermatt or Saas Fee (4 hrs. from Geneva by car or train. Take train preferably, since both villages are car-free and you'll have to leave it either just outside the village (for Saas Fee) or in another village (Tasch, near Zermatt)

- Try either of Schönried, Saanen, Gstaad, Rougemont or Chateau d'Oex, they are in Switzerland in the "Pre-Alps Fribourgois" and all around 2 hrs. from Geneva; all accessed via the MOB train from Montreux (a great little train ride) or by car. You can stay in one village, and easily visit all the others, since they abut oneanother. Right now there should be snow on the ground there (they are lower than the other resorts listed above)...

Avoid Crans Montana - it's quite an ugly village. They got it wrong with the architecture, it looks like something out of the crass 70's rather than a chalet-styled village.

For all of the above, look at renting an apartment - either in an apartment house or in a large chalet - that sleeps 6. Staying in a hotel at $250 per night total covering 6 people sounds practically impossible - unless you can find some great deal. Try www.swisshotels.ch, and inside see if there is info about renting apart's...

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 04:36 AM
jen

Marty, my suggestion is that you decide where you want to go very quickly (I'm assuming you're talking about Dec. 2002) and book the first hotel or apartment that has space. This is high season! The ski areas will probably be fully booked or require 7 (or even 14)nights' booking. Don't delay!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 05:00 AM
OO

Just a little thought, Marty.

A lot of hotels will only take reservations from Christmas through New Years Day. Anyway, if it's for this Christmas, you're terribly late. High, high season for a winter resort. You might be more lucky, when staying in a town.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Ann

Wherever you stay, try to have 2 bathrooms!!! Otherwise, you're going to lose a lot of time while you wait for everyone to get a turn, and you've only got 4 days. Good luck with finding accomodations!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Marty

Thank you for your thoughts. I have tentative plans made,but would still like to get an apartment or large chalet. and stay at least 3 nights. Right now we have 2 nights in Villars and 2 nights in Geneva. Any tips on how to get apt or chalet this late in the game and for 3-4 nights?