Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 days to spend in Scottland-what to do??

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:48 AM
anne

My husband and I will be in London and want to spend about 4 nights in Scottland before we go home. Any ideas? We're open to cities/lochs/anything so if you've been there and could go back for 4 days what would you do? Thanks!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:02 PM
janis

Well - my average trip to Scotland is 3+weeks (about every year/18 months - I know I'm REALLY lucky) so narrowing it down to 4 days is a test. But here goes. Assuming you have 4 FULL days plus the travel day back to London: Fly to Edinbrugh and stay 2 nights there. Then pick up a rental car at Edinburgh airport (to avoid driving/parking IN Edinburgh which can be a real problem) and take one of the two following routes --<BR><BR>Drive north into Fife. There you will see St Andrews, several wonderful fishing villages, Falkland Palace and several other great places. Not dramatic mountain/loch scenery but really lovely. Then you will only be about 1-2 hours from Edinburgh airport to drop off the car and fly back through London.<BR><BR>Route 2 -- drive northwest to Stirling ("Braveheart Country") then through the Trossachs near Callander. On this route you will see Stirling and Doune Castles, some gorgeous scenery and several lochs.<BR><BR>If you are up to more driving route #2 is my rec. - if you don't want to go too far then route #1 is for you.<BR><BR>Many people will recommend going a lot farther than these two suggestions - but the going is slow and there is a LOT to see no matter where you go so you don't want to drive hundreds of miles.<BR><BR>One possible fly in the ointment - when are you going to be there? I ask because during some periods -- especially the entire month of August -- B&Bs and hotels in Edinburgh require a 3 or 4 or more night minimum stay.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:03 PM
Sheila

There are lots of different things one could do with 4 days. What do you like? And will you have transport?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:14 AM
anne

Thank you for the ideas Janis- we ARE going in August so I guess I better choose the route and start reserving. Any specific B&B ideas? <BR><BR>Sheila, we will fly to Edinburgh and then rent a car- is Glasgow worth a look or should I stick to one city and one scenic portion? My Husband and I like cozy hotels/b&bs with charm and atmosphere being number one, great food being number 2. <BR><BR>Any dinner ideas on Route 1 and 2?<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:20 AM
Sheila

Anne<BR><BR>I really don't think you should come to Scotland and not "do" Edinburgh. I'd actually be inclined to suggest you stay there and take trips out. You could easily spend 4 days in Edinburgh and not come close to exhausting the possibilities. And if you do that, then I'd suggest that you take two of those days for Edinburgh and one for Glasgow. For that you don't need a car. Just hire a car for the one day and either do Fife- Janis's route- or the Borders.<BR><BR>If, on the other hand, you would like to see more of the country then I'd suggest you get into the car when you get there and go north, and spend three days doing that, then come back for the third night and the last day and dip your toe into Edinburgh's warm water.<BR><BR>I have stuff for day trips from Edinburgh; lots of things to do in Edinburgh; and lots of things to do in Glasgow; plus a slightly more detailed plan for Fife and one for the Borders, which I will happily email to you, if you'd like. I will also post it here if you prefer but it's already here in one shape or form or another. Just let me know<BR><BR>One other thing- Edinburgh + August + Festival. Book your accommodation NOW!! Once you've decided what you want to do let us know and we can recommend somewhere

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Artemis

I've spend time in both Edinburgh and Glasgow, and they're both so different but both fabulous. One compromise might be to base yourself in Edinburgh and do a drive-in day trip to Glasgow (it would be a long day but quite doable).<BR><BR>I highly recommend a side trip to St. Andrews. I absolutely loved it, and I don't even golf! It's a gorgeous little town with stuff for everyone. And I can give you a recommendation for an excellent B&B if you like.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 09:54 AM
erin

Don't waste any of your precious 4 days on Glasgow.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 10:57 AM
rene

erin<BR><BR>You must live in Edinburgh. Yes?

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Artemis

Well, I don't know if erin was being facetious or not, but ...<BR><BR>What I love most about Glasgow is its architecture. I'm a huge fan of art decco/art nouveau, and especially the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Mackintosh did most of his work in Glasgow, and you can see his influence everywhere. You can spend a full day just "doing" the Macintosh sites--Queen's Cross Church, Mackintosh House, The Willow Tea Rooms, Glasgow School of Art, etc.<BR><BR>More info here: http://www.crmsociety.com/<BR><BR>Glasgow also has fabulous shopping (better than Edinburgh), and the best cathedral in Scotland, IMO.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Tony Hughes

Edinburgh to Glasgow is not a long distance irrespective of transport mode.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 11:23 AM
janis

The problem with doing both Edinburgh and Glasgow in just four days is that you will only see cities - one gorgeous and one large and hectic - but no lochs or scenery.<BR><BR>And with your trip being in August you may not be able to find ANY accomodations in Edinburgh for less than 3 or 4 nights. My favorite (Castle View Guest House) has a 4 night minimum in Aug and is already full for almost the entire month.<BR><BR>Edinburgh literally doubles in size during August due to the festivals and Tattoo (and this year the Tattoo is even larger because the Queen is attending Aug 5). So unless you get to work NOW and book someplace for the entire 4 nights, I suggest you do this instead:<BR><BR>rent a car at the airport and head north and stay in a B&B either near Stirling or St Andrews. Stay the entire time in the same place and use it as a base for day trips - one or two by train into Edinburgh, one into Fife and one to the west/Trossachs/ maybe as far as Glen Coe.<BR><BR>These would not be my normal recommendations - but you will have a difficult time finding a place to stay in Edinburgh, and especially for less than 4 days. <BR><BR>I'd skip Glasgow on this trip - there is a lot to see there but it does not hold as much interest for the first timevisitor as Edinburgh, Stirling, St Andrews and the countryside.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 11:27 AM
janis

Not to denigrate Glasgow - I am a total Mackintosh fanatic. I have taken trips just to visit Mackintosh properties and study - but for the first time visitor to Scotland, castles, lochs, gardens, scenery etc are what you are looking for.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Tony Hughes

For what it's worth, I couldnt agree more with Janis. Ditch Glasgow this time, visit her when you return.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 10:10 AM
anne

Hi All-thank you for so many ideas. The festival and 4 night minimum may be a problem so I must book now. Based on my research the Bank Hotel looks like my kind of place. I will book there for 2 nights and then head up to see the scenery. Any hotel recommendations near St. Andrews for the first night and is it totally out of the question to spend the second night near stirling? If not where to spend the second out of Edinburgh night? <BR>Also-will it be warm/chilly or what?? <BR>Thanks!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Sheila

In St Andrews eitehr the Scores or the Golf are nice hotels. Just outside Rufflets is good. For a special traet go for the Bein Inn, arguably one of Scotland's best restaurants.<BR><BR>Not out of the question to spend the next night in Stirling.If you want to be outside, have alook at the Tormaukin in Glendevon. In the town, try the Highland Hotel- pricey but good<BR><BR>Alternatively go a bit further north and try Dunkeld. Really nice place with lots to do round about it.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 01:28 PM
helpful

Spelling lessons?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 01:30 PM
janis

Another choice near Stirling is the village of Doune. Nice place with several inexpensive to moderate B&Bs with its own fascinating castle, and close to Stirling. and the it is an easy drive back to Edinburgh airport on your last day.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Bill

Anne:<BR><BR>I stayed at the Woodston Fishing Station B&B in St Cyrus. I will NEVER forget the place. It sits on a cliff overlooking the North Sea with a path down to deserted beach. If you walk along the beach at low tide you can get to a beautiful waterfall. The owners were wonderful (Gary and Wendy I think) and the view was spectacular. We stayed there when there was a full moon and we almost wept at the sight. St Cyrus is just south of Stonehaven and very close to Dunnotar Castle. This is the email address:<BR>http://www.woodstonfishingstation.co.uk/woodston.htm<BR><BR>By the way, we went to Scotland and didn't go to Edinburgh and though we will go sometime, I was just looking to see the countryside. That to me is were the real beauty is.<BR><BR>By the way, we did stay in Sterling and loved the castle.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Sheila

Typing rather than spelling. Sorry.<BR><BR>Here's some ideas for FifeBR><BR>Cross over the Forth Road Bridge to Fife; Dunfermilne is on your left. Robert the Bruce, the hero king who won Bannockburn is buried here in Dunfermilne Abbey (although his heart is buried at Melrose in the borders);go back onto the main road and you will shortly come to Loch Leven, where Mary Queen of Scots was locked up in the castle on the island (v. romantic..the story of the escape- she then fled to her cousin in England for succour. She locked her up for 20 years then beheaded her.<BR><BR>Vane Farm Bird Reserve is on the other side of the Loch. Along the North Sea coast there's a stretch of picture-postcard little fishing villages- the East Neuk villages- Crail and Pittenweem, St Monans and Leven,leading toward St Andrews. For hiking, there's the Fife Coastal path that runs along the entire coast. <BR><BR>There are lots of other nice places, like Ceres, Falkland Palace.<BR><BR>St. Andrews with its ancient university, its cathedral (we do have a lot of them, don't we?) and the home of golf, the Royal and Ancient is seriously worth a visit. Try a trip underneath the castle. It can be a bit of a squeeze so if you are claustrophobic then probably best to pass on this one. John Knox used to live in this castle - also get chance to see the bottle dungeon. It has one of the best beaches in the world- the West Sands, which is where they filmed the opening sequence of Chariots of Fire- shame about the weather- and one of the best ice cream shops in the world (Jannetta's) apart from being a lovely little town. <BR><BR>In Anstruther, visit the fishing museum, then have the best fish in the world for your lunch. After that drive along the coast to Largo, home of the 'original' Robinson Crusoe. When Daniel Defoe wrote about Robinson Crusoe, he was writing about a real person. His name was Alexander Selkirk and he came from Largo in Fife. Defoe was an English spy up in Scotland in the 1700's and nicked the story. <BR><BR>Restaurants in the area which are very good would include the Ostler's Close in Cupar, the Cellar in Anstruther, the Cellar in St Monan's and the Peat Inn at Peat Inn (not Bein Inn as I said above)

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 02:33 PM
janis

Speaking of the Peat Inn - if you can get in it will be a HIGHLIGHT of your trip. Fantastic food. But they book up weeks ahead so if you decide to stay in Fife for a couple of days and want a special ocassion meal - one you will remember for the rest of your life - call them from the states.<BR><BR>I have been to the Peat Inn four times over the past ten years and it is one of my favorite restaurants in the world. (it is in a tiny hamlet also called Peat Inn about 8 miles from St Andrews.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -