I am trying to put together our itinerary for an upcoming month-long trip to France. We will be spending 5 days in Burgundy, 4 of those in the Yonne department (near Joigny). We will have already been to Normandy and the Loire Valley. Our girl are 8 and 10. They are active girls but also enjoy artsy stuff. I recognize I may be packing too much stuff into each day so would appreciate views on what to drop.
So far I have this notional itinerary:
1. Day 1 - Hit market day in Joigny. Rent bikes for 1-2 hours along one of the canals (maybe renting in Migennes? Can't find a bike rental place in Joigny itself). Visit to La Fabuloserie OR Laduz for folk art stuff which may interest kids.
2. Day 2 - visit to Guedelon construction site to see castle being built using traditional materials. Guided visit at 2 pm in English. Can register girls for 12 pm stone carving workshop. Thoughts on lunch -- stop at boulangerie to pick up picnic fixings to eat at site? Is this a full-day activity or should we also combine w/ something in the area (parc de Boutissaint or Poterie de la Batisse)?
3. Day 3 - Visit to Vezelay and Auxerre (two towns that seem highly recommended).
4. Day 4 - drive to Beaune/ Dijon. Overnight in Dijon before taking TGV to Avignon.
I had Chateau de Tanlay or Ancy-le-franc but dropped those at hubby's request to substitute Guedelon site (he told me he will be "castled- out" after Loire and as an engineer is much more interested in Guedelon! Note this is our second visit to France where we stayed in the Dordogne].
Merci a l'avance! Welcome any additional suggestions, restos, other activities that kids may enjoy that I missed.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 2 Favorite London memories
- 3 Hotels or apartments recommendations for Seville Malaga Córdoba Ronda
- 4 Return to Slovenia and Venice plus Trieste
- 5 Ronda or Jerez
- 6 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 7 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 8 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 9 [Crete] Trapped in Skouloufia? Please help!
- 10 two days in rome
- 11 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 12 Flight questions To Italy with Frankfurt connection
- 13 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 14 Avignon
- 15 Czech Republic & Germany in Eleven Days
- 16 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 17 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 18 Preliminary planning for Croatia May or June 2017
- 19 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 20 Budget trip
- 21 Rome to Greece on a Ferry
- 22 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 23 Provence and Cote de Azure
- 24 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 25 Provence Trip Report
4 days in the Yonne (Burgundy) with kids - itinerary suggestions?