4 Days in Switzerland with kid

Old Nov 15th, 2016, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Days in Switzerland with kid

Hello,

Wanted some suggestion / comments about the following travel plan ( with a 4 yrs. old , who loves trains and running around) .

May 27th : Arriving at Zurich from SFO , spending the night in Zurich resting
May 28th : Morning - take a train from Zurich airport to Lucern - drop luggage at a locker - continue to Engelberg - Gondola to Titlis and back - train to Hergiswil - boat to Lucern, walk around the lake, bridge - pick up luggage from the station , check in to a hotel in Lucern
May 29th - Leave early to Wengen .
If weather is good - drop luggage at a locker, continue to Jungfrauzoch . spend the evening in Wengen
If weather is not good at the top - Visit Klein Scheidegg / some other places
Overnight in Wengen
May 30 th
Second attempt to Jungfrauzoch if the earlier failed / else sightseeing in Berner Oberland area
Take a evening train to Geneva , stay somewhere close to the Airport
May 31st - Fly out

Please let me know if this is too aggressive / stressful for a 4 yrs old ?

Also a couple of questions :

a) Is the idea about dropping the luggage off at the train station - how practical is that ?
b) Since we are going to Klein Scheidegg and / or Jungfrauzoch- should we drop Mt. Titlis and do something else instead ?
c) Any way to squeeze in a chocolate factory tour ?

Thanks for your help ?
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 12:44 AM

May be you go directly from Zurich airport to Lucerne. Trains every 30 min. Journey time 1 hr.
You can deposit your luggage in most hotels when you arrive (in the morning) even if the rooms are not yet ready.
If the weather is bad at Jungfraujoch, it's often not better at Kleine Scheidegg.
There is a famous Cailler (Nestle group) chocolate factory at Broc, between Interlaken and Geneva, but the train ride and the visit would take almost a whole day because the factory is not along the main railway line. Thre is aslo a chocolate workshop at Interlaken, however http://www.funkychocolateclub.com/
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks neckervd for the suggestions . I agree spending the first night in Lucern will take the stress off a bit, that was my original plan and then I got lured by the much lower lodging price in Zurich compared to Lucern- but now I think it will be better - specially with the kid.

If the weather is bad at Jungfraujoch and Scheidegg both, are there any other kid friendly itineraries to fill two days around Wengen? May be we can do the Cailler trip .

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 09:32 AM

I trust you meant to say "along the lake" rather than "around the lake" in Lucerne? Lake Lucerne (in the local language "Vierwaldstättersee" - "lake of four forest districts") has the oddest shape of all Swiss lakes by far, you couldn't even really walk along it all the way, some parts are just cliffs...

in case you need alternatives - from Lucerne you can choose Rigi ("Queen of Mountains") - https://www.rigi.ch/en

But if the weather up high is cloudy and socked in, and the outdoors just aren't a good solution, go to the Verkehrshaus in Lucerne. It's a museum of all modes of transportation, and they have activities and games for kids - see the reviews at
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...t-Lucerne.html

On the train line to Wengen, you can take a break in Brienz and go up on the Brienzer Rothorn, the mountain-goat of a train is currently closed for maintenance, the website ways it will get going again in May of 2017 for the season.

See http://www.brienz-rothorn-bahn.ch/en/welcome.html

If you're in Wengen and - again - it's just socked in or even coming down in buckets, hop on a train for Bern and stroll the historic inner city on foot, staying dry under the arcades that flank the streets.
https://www.travelforkids.com/Funtod...rland/bern.htm
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks @michelhuebeli . I agree, Rigi might be a better choice than Titlis if we are going to Jungfrauzoch also .. The transportation museum sounds good too . May be we should just drop any mountain trip in Lucern, just take a boatride , see the museum and enjoy the city before heading out to the mountains.

Also, Bern sounds like a very good backup in case weather gets bad on the mountains. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 10:19 AM

If you're going to Wengen then I would skip mountain trips from Lucerne, unless you've got great weather in Lucerne and the forecast for Wengen is clouds. Then you do the mountain at Lucerne and skip Wengen's mountains.

Another great rainy option for Wengen is Trummelbach falls. It's truly impressive.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 11:27 AM

Your original trip plan in your OP demands a 4-consecutive-day Swiss Pass- covers not only trains but lake boats (kid will love one on Lake Lucerne or Lake Geneva)but city transports, postal buses and many mountain trains in full or at 50% off on trains to mountain tops (25% Wengen to Jungfraujoch however).

From Interlaken take the fabled Golden Pass scenic train to Montreux, on Lake Geneva - take it also from Lucerne to Interlaken up and over the Brunig Pass via cog rails near the summit. Swiss Pass covers both in full and also Interlaken-Ost to Wengen in full.

For lots on Swiss trains check www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. Kids under 16 get a free Family Pass with any Swiss Pass and never pay a cent for anything their parent(s) take - can get without a pass too if you go the non-pass route. But again I think the 4-consecutive-day pass is hard to beat for your rather wide-ranging itinerary in that short time frame(fine for me).
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 01:36 PM

Suggestion, Don't you think with a 4 year old in tow, that you might need to allow more than one night at each stop? I'd suggest two nights in Wengen. I think most children will enjoy smaller villages over larger cities. You really have very little time and you don't want to spend it all on trains. Two nights each place I'd suggest. Sue
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Sue, thanks for the reminder of reality .

May be we should just skip Lucern - camp at Wengen and take day trips to pick from Jungfrauzoch / Scheidegg / Bern / Rothorn / Trummelbach falls / Chocolate factory based on the weather , energy and mood .

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 09:08 PM

Hi swagato,

The Cailler chocolate factory at Broc-Fabrique is really too far to go for a day-trip; it's 3h30 in each direction. I find that any day-trip that's more than 2h in each direction gives a really bad return. This would be 7 hours in a train . . . really mind-numbing.

Best to see the Funky Chocolate show provided by neckervd, or to see this one, also in Interlaken:

http://www.schuh-interlaken.ch/en/co...hokoladen-show

Or go to Bern, as michelhuebeli suggests. Or even spend the time in Thun, right on Lake Thun, which also has beautiful arcaded streets.

I've known some folks who live in Switzerland, and they call May "Mud Month." This is when the snow on the mountains is melting fast, but it's still too early for mountain flowers. I don't think you can plan on having a whole lot of clear-weather days. I normally recommend that folks spend time at lower elevations in May . . . . But that could all be changing due to climate change.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 02:47 AM

"some folks who live in Switzerland, and they call May "Mud Month." This is when the snow on the mountains is melting fast, but it's still too early for mountain flowers"

I live in Switzerland since ever and April-May-June are for me the best months for long walks through endless fields of wild flowers:

mid March to mid April:
jonquils (yellow narcissus) along the Jura heights (roughly Macolin to La Chaux-de-Fonds)
April:
lilies of the valley around Lanzo, Domodossola, etc.
white narcissus above Domodossola, Chiasso and Como
broom all over Southern Switzerland
end April to end May:
white narcissus between Montreux and Chateau d'Oex
blue gentian and globe flowers along the whole Jura
End May: rhododendron in Southern Ticino/Lake Como areas
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 05:45 AM

lol, neckervd! I'll have to introduce you, and you guys can duke it out.

But I was talking about mountain flowers, like around Wengen, not flowers in the valleys or around the lakes or in the southern areas.

s
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 09:53 AM

Trails at high altitudes can be icy right at that time of year - I recall once going to Murren in mid-September and there was ice on the sidewalks-probably unusual but you never know.

In foul weather day trip to say Bern - the value of a Swiss Pass is that you can do so on a whim if conditions dictate and not think of price.
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 01:34 AM

Swan/Palen: I know, there will always be misunderstandings: when Swiss people speak about Switzerland, they mean Switzerland whereas when people in this forum speak about Switzerland, they often mean some shady and rainy places in the Interlaken area.
That doesn't concern only the mountain flowers I mentioned (BTW: blue gentians, jonquils and white narcissus grow around Gstaad too, of course in April-May) but everything, from the so called "Swiss-style-house" up to "typical Swiss food".
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 09:58 AM

Yes in part neckervd because all those travel brochures and guidebooks with either the Matterhorn or the Jungfrau Massif on their covers -this is the Switzerland of many folks dreams - and the only places in Suisse many will want to go - along with Lucerne.
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 08:46 PM

Well, oddly enough neckervd, I like to focus my comments on where the traveller is going. This OP is going to Wengen, so my comments concerned the landscape in that area.

I personally haven't been to the Jungfrau region since 2007. I moved to an Alpine region in 2008, and though it's not nearly as pretty as the Jungfrau region, it's enough to keep me satisfied.

I was just hiking around Sonloup last month, just beautiful.

I love to encourage folks to visit the Engadin Valley, but few English-speaking visitors get there. I think it's just as amazing as the Jungfrau region, but with better food. I don't know it very well, but have spent time in Zuoz and in Scuol. It's hard to pry folks away from the Jungfrau though. You know, those same Swiss folks also say that "The Oberland doesn't have the best mountains, just the best PR."

s
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 11:52 AM

"The Oberland doesn't have the best mountains, just the best PR.">

Maybe not but it does have IME by far the best transit network to get all over the place and a bevy of neat sights besides mountains that are also easy to get to - like boat rides on either lake bookending Interlaken- the Ballenberg Open-Air Museum- and nearby easy day trips in foul weather -like Bern or Lucerne or Thun or Spiez' Castle, etc.
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 09:01 PM

Pal, I agree that the transport available in the Jungfrau region is really great.

But for excursions & other things to do, the Engadin can also compete favorably.

Bernina Express train trip
Excursion to Poschiavo, with its feel of Italy (part of Bernina Express trip)
Excursion to Lake Poschiavo (part of Bernina Express trip)
Excursion to the Grüm glacier (part of Bernina Express trip)
Walking/cycling around St Moritz lake or the Silverplaner See.
Excursion to Soglio and walking/hiking under the chestnut trees
Excursion to the preserved village of Guarda (the same photo of the village was on the cover of the Fodor's and the Frommer's guide to Switzerland one year)
Excursion to Scuol and maybe a visit to the thermal baths
Excursion to Zuoz
Biking down the Inn Valley

That's just off the top of my head after just two visits to the valley; I'm betting someone like Ingo could add about 10 more.

Really, Pal, imo, your saying there's more to do in the Jungfrau region reveals that you haven't researched or visited the Engadin much.

The one problem of the area, imo, is that it is isolated in a corner of the country, and it takes a long time to travel to visit another part of Switzerland. For that reason, a visit to the Engadin best pairs with a visit to Austria rather than seeing other parts of Switzerland.

s
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 08:38 AM

"The one problem of the area, imo, is that it is isolated in a corner of the country, and it takes a long time to travel to visit another part of Switzerland"

That's correct: the journey time (by public transport) from Wengen (Bernese Oberland) and from Scuol-Tarasp (Engiadina Bassa) to Zurich airport or to Lugano is the same, but the journey from Scuol to Lucerne lasts 1 hr longer whereas that
to Appenzell, St. Gallen and the Eastern Lake Constance area is more than 1 hr shorter. But all journey times to Western Switzelrand are much longer.

I fully agree with Swandav, the combination of Engadin with the gems of Eastern Lombardy and Tyrol (North and South) makes a lot of sense:
St. Moritz - Menaggio/Lake Como: 2 3/4 hrs by bus
St. Moritz - Capo di Ponte prehistoric rock carvings: 4 1/2 hrs by Bernina railway - bus - NordMilano
Scuol - Merano: 2 3/4 hrs by bus and train
Scuol - Ortisei: 4 hrs 50 min by bus - train - bus
Scuol - Soelden/Oetztal: 3 hrs 05 min by bus - train - bus
Scuol - Kaunertal Glacier: 3 hrs 05 min by bus
Scuol - Innsbruck: 2 1/2 hrs by bus and train
Scuol - Salzburg: 4 1/2 hrs by bus and train
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Sorry I didn't check the forum for the last few days as I was sick.

Also, thanks everyone for alternate ideas ... we are planning to stay pretty much on the tourist tracks

We got out plane tickets (finally) arriving on the 27th 1:00 pm at Zurich and leaving from Geneva on the 1st at 9:45 am .

Haven't booked any accommodation within Switzerland :

Here is the revised plan based on some feedback ( about possible rain, golden pass train, spending more days in one place)

Arrive at Zurich on 2Going to Lucern straight from the airport . Spend the night in Lucern. Late start on 28th Morning - spend the morning in the city, take a boat ride - train to Wengen .

Stay in Wengen from 28th Afternoon and 29th and 30th whole day and take trips to the mountain, bern , other near by areas as energy and weather permits .

31 st take the Golden pass train to Montreux , visit the castle .. spend the day and take a train to Geneva airport.

Fly out on the 1st morning .

I think some pass will work better .. I am doing the math to see if the swiss pass will work better or the half pass .

Thanks everyone

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information