4 days in Switzerland

Aug 27th, 2001, 02:40 PM
sp

4 days in Switzerland

Hi! We are going to Switzerland for a mini-vacation. We have 4 full days to see the country. We will be staying at a resort in Torgon, Valais (near Lake Geneva). We are mainly interested in seeing Geneva, Zermat, Interlaken, Zurich and Lugano (a quick trip to Liechtenstein would be a bonus). Can someone please suggest in what sequence we should see these places to make the best use of our time? Any alternate suggestions for places to add/skip from the list above?

Thanks very much! Any help would be appreciated. We are especially keen to hear from anyone who has been to Torgon or is familiar with the area. Thanks.

SP

Aug 27th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Ed

Perhaps you might get a leg up on your planning by seeing how realistic your plans are. You might be spending more time on trains than anywhere else.

I've no idea where Torgon is. If it's in the Valais, though, it's not terribly near Geneva.

While a map might be a help, it won't tell you travel times, which in Switzerland can sometimes be a bit longer than you expect because of mountains.

So, if you plan on training, why don't you familiarize yourself with the Swiss rail server. It's at
www.rail.ch and it's pretty easy to use.

If you want info on some of the rail passes available you'd find www.twenj.com/swpasses.htm helpful.

If you're thinking of traveling by car you may find www.twenj.com/swissbycar.htm useful. And you'll find listed there a couple of sources for constructing auto routes giving time and distance so you can test the workability of your plans.

As you get a little further along on your planning you should feel free to return here to ask more specific and direct questions.

twenj

Aug 27th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Bob Brown

I don't where Torgon is either, except it is so small that it does not show on the Michelin map of Switzerland.
It has no train service. To get to Montreux is at least a 50 minute bus ride.
I suggest you study some possible schedules abd take a look at some the transportation times you are facing.
For example,

or consider renting a car, and not going to Torgon!

Aug 27th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Ed

Nearest train service to Torgon is Jorette, just a couple of minutes away by bus. About 45 minutes to Montreux. Torgon is 35-40 minutes from Aigle by bus. Bus service is less frequent than hourly.

I'm sure Torgon is a fine spot. It's at 1100 meters in the middle of a wine growing area. It's probably quite scenic. If you want to unwind, sit and watch scenery and sip wonderful white wine it's probably a great place.

If you have in mind much sightseeing or day tripping you should probably be thinking of alternatives.

Aug 27th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Bob Brown

The web page says that it is "Perched on the mountain-side above Vionnaz, with a bird's-eye on Aigl." That puts is somewhere in the Valais south of Lake Geneva and west of Sion. At least the post bus can find it. To get to Montreux, the trip is at least a 50 minute bus ride.
I suggest you study some possible schedules and take a look at some the transportation times you are facing.
You can the rail and inter city bus schedules at: http://www.sbb.ch
Click on the English tab for Swiss Federal Railways. (The site is in 4 languages, including English.)
For example, Zurich is nearly 4 hours away. And you would need to leave at 3:30 in the afternoon to come back.
Otherwise, you wait until the next day somewhere.
Lugano at best is a 5 hour train trip.
Vaduz, Lichtenstein about the same.

By the way, I looked at some of the transportation times to other places listed on the Torgon website.
They are, to be polite, very optimistic.
To be more candid, they are wrong.
For example, Paris is listed as 4 hours away. BS. It takes 4 hours from Lausanne to Paris. I know, I have taken the TGV on that route, twice.
It an hour and a half trip to Lausanne from Torgon.
The site also says you can make Zurich by car in two hours. If you do, you will be flying low! I cannot make it from Interlaken in that length of time.
And I am not timid when driving.

Aug 27th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Ed

Looks to me like Torgon/La Jorette is a ski area. There seem to be a lot of time shares in the area if memory serves.

My guess is you've a time share? If so, it would be a neat place in winter. Or now, if you're in to mountain biking.

You don't say when you're going. If in ski season, have a blast. If before Christmas you should consider changing where you're going.

If it's too late to make a change, plan on renting a car, and not being able to get in too much sightseeing. I would think all of the spots on your prospective list of destination would be out of the question, except perhaps Lugano. Lugano could be 4-5 hour trip, perhaps under 3. I just don't know the roads in your area.

I guess for three or four days probably Montreux and it's attractions would make one day, you could probably get up to Zermatt for day ... not sure of that, you'd have to check, perhaps Aigle and Sion for a day.

Aug 30th, 2001, 06:53 AM
sp

To all those who replied: thank you very much. Your responses were very helpful in finalizing our plans. Yes, we do have a timeshare in Torgon, and
we will be there this weekend. We have
decided to rent a car, so hopefully
that will help us quite a bit in
getting around.

Thanks again.

SP

Aug 30th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Tracie

Sp,

Please let me know how your trip was if you have the time when you get back. I will be in Switzerland for the first time the end of October and would love to hear about your trip, especially if you see Lugano as that may be one place we stay. (Lucerene is the other option, please let me know if you see any parts of that also).
Thanks very much and have a great trip!
Tracie

Aug 30th, 2001, 09:15 PM
min

Just tonight I exchanged our timeshare for one in Torgon, Switzerland. I was unable to find anything about Torgon on the internet until I saw your post. It doesn't sound too convenient for us because we want to do quite a bit of touring. When are you planning on going? I'd love to hear about your trip. Have fun!

Sep 5th, 2001, 09:31 AM
min

Since we will be staying in Torgon next year, I'm anxious to hear how your trip was. Was it difficult to use the train system there? Hope you had a great time.

Sep 5th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Myer

Min,
If your question was about the area, I assume there will be a posting later on. If your question was about using Swiss trains, then just be on time. They are. The system is just about the same in France, Switzerland and Italy. Remarkably on time. More grafitti (sp) in France and Italy.
Easy. I keep forgetting which color is which in the train station. The yellow side of the board I believe is departing and the white side for arriving trains (I always forget and then read the top and remember for the rest of the trip).

Sep 5th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Ed

For those who would like a primer on using the train system, see
www.twenj.com/swbeyondcond.htm

It's all really quite simple, and, as Myer observes, it runs very much on time. You'll find connections, legal connections, as short as two minutes ... and they're quite reliable.

There is certainly sightseeing to be done by train based in Torgon. However service is pretty limited.

Much as we use the trains for most of our Swiss visits, we'd have a car with us were we to stay in Torgon. And if there are any qualms about driving in Switzerland, there shouldn't be. Driving is quite like in the US overall, albeit with a much higher percentage of two lane roads. Speed limits are quite similar to US limits. You'd want to study up on road signage a bit. If thinking of driving, you'll find www.twenj.com/swissbycar.htm helpful.