Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 days in Provence: Avignon as base or move about to different towns?

May 4th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Greetings All.
I will be visiting Provence next week. I arrive Friday evening and plan to head to Tuscany Tuesday or Wednesday. I have reservations at Hotel de Blauvac for 5 nights, but am contemplating moving about the region. I am a thirtysomething woman traveling alone by car. Will I have trouble finding hotel rooms >120 euro/night? I would like to end my trip in Nice, spend my last evening and morning there before catching a train to Florence. Thoughts?
May 4th, 2006, 09:43 AM

I don't know where Hotel de Blauvac is, so am little in the dark about that. Maybe it's Avignon. Also, I presume you mean will have you trouble finding rooms LESS THAN 120 euro a night? Because more than an amount is usually never a problem if the sky is the limit. There shouldn't be any problem finding rooms <120 euro, though. It's just a matter of how you intend to do this and how much time you want to spend at it. It doesn't sound like you have a plan at all at this point about that, so you'd have to research hotels, and places to stay, and have all that info available if you want to move around. I wouldn't move around a lot in five days -- maybe once. I would also never just drive around without hotel reservations, hoping to find something, but that's just me.

If you plan to drive around each day visiting the region, I think someplace other than Avignon could work well, as Avignon is a larger city and will be more trouble to get in and out of. I do like it, though, it's a lively and enjoyable place to stay a few nights. But I only stayed there without a car.
May 4th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Lucky you! I have done a certain amount of traveling by myself with a car and I have found that I actually like breaking up my stays in several places, so that I can get a variety of "feels." I usually travel lightly in those instances (often following the Tour de France) so picking up and moving isn't very difficult. You might want to think further about what you want to see/do...You could choose a place to alight in Les Alpilles for a night or two, and perhaps a night or two in the Luberon. Some relatives of mine bike through Provence and tend to simply spend the night at whatever inn that they happen on that they like. They only make reservations for the first night and the last, along their itinerary. That's maybe a bit too loose for me, but with a car in May, you might well be able to drift about and find comfortable, affordable small hotels in charming settings. May is a lovely time to visit before it gets too crowded and while the poppies re in bloom.

In Les Baux de Provence, not too far from Avignon, I always spend my first night at le mas d'aigret. It's a pleasant enough small hotel and has a pool. Nice outdoor breakfast. Fine spot to be based for a day or two of seeing the incredible Alpilles landscape.
May 4th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

"You might want to think further about what you want to see/do..."

This is exactly my problem. There are so many things I want to see and do. Once I get my itineray mapped out, a few days later I've learned of another "must see" and have to shift everything around. And I think this will continue to happen while I am there. Market days, roman ruins, Luberon hilltop towns, provencial villages, and the coast. I don't want to do a marathon dash and cram as many places into a day as I can. I want to be able to savor the moments and explore. But I also don't want to be stuck without a place to stay. It sounds like your relatives have had success with this. And with a car, I do have mobililty, although my french is really bad.
May 4th, 2006, 12:28 PM

Sounds like it's hard for you to make choices, but it also sounds like you already have alot of ideas. I imagine that plenty of people have probably written on the difference between expected experiences and those that one actually has when one gets there. I would think that you could pick x number of places that you would like to see and then map out a reasonably sane itinerary to see them. I have found that sometimes I will see something (a town that I pass through that I really like) and I will try to make note of that in a travel diary...just a couple of lines.) And then, assuming that I don't have the time to full explore it (perhaps I have an upcoming reservation for a lunch or a hotel check-in time that I have to meet) I will try to come back to that place on a future trip.

Alternatively, I remember visiting the Drome region and discovering a village that was just so charming that (because I had the time) I just stayed there and took pictures and took it in for a full day. All this is to say that you can only go so far in plotting your destinations and some will be fulfilling and others less so. New things tend to pop up that can be far more interesting than things that you might have planned. Using a reasonable framework of destinations should give you a chance to experience at least a few things that you really want to experience.

And if you aren't comfortable going without firm reservations for hotels(and that's understandable) perhaps give yourself three evening inns over your five days. That would give you plenty of variety, if that's what you're after.