4 days in Pompeii/ Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2023, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be making a short trip to Italy in July, staying in the area of Pompeii/ Naples. I will NOT have a vehicle, so I will be hiking or relying on public transportation. I plan to spend:
-one day at the Pompeii ruins (concert at Teatro Grande in the evening),
-one day climbing Vesuvius,
-one day in Naples, and
-one day left "open".

Where can I stay that is:
1) conveniently located to Pompeii and Vesuvius (walking distance), and
2) has a lot of restaurant options within walking distance?
3) Easy access to public transport is a plus.

Again, convenient walking distance to the Pompeii ruins and a good selection of restaurants are my main concerns. I don't need anything terribly fancy, but a good shower and a comfortable bed are very important! A refrigerator in the room would be a nice perk, but not a requirement.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Mar 25th, 2023, 07:30 PM

I usually stay in Naples or Sorrento, so no REC’s that meet your specs. However, there is no need to be walking distance of Pompeii or Vesuvius. We have been there many times and never have a car. The Circumvesuviana train takes you practically to the entrance to Pompeii. It starts in Naples and ends in Sorrento.

It will not take all day to hike Vesuvius. Sorry, it has been so long since I did it, I don’t remember if there was a shuttle or train stop or what, because we had taken a bus and walked from a parking area. Anyway, I don’t think we were more than a couple of hours total to the top and back down. In July, you will want to do it as early in the day as possible, wear a hat, lots of sun screen and carry plenty of water. Also, wear shoes that can withstand the heat. The path is cinders and baking hot. We did it in April.

We have been to Pompeii several times, including July, once. Again, hat, sunscreen, plenty of water. Don’t waste time and energy walking in the heat. Take the train to the stop for Pompeii Scavi. Double check that. There is more than one stop. You want the archeological site.

I highly recommend taking a ferry down the Amalfi Coast to see Positano from the water. It is beautiful! You could also, rather than the ferry, take a train from Naples down to Salerno and a bus or ferry back up the coast. Honestly, I would have to check logistics because I have not been there in a few years. Do consider Herculaneum, the other excavated city between Naples and Pompeii. It is smaller than Pompeii, has more complete buildings and is, IMHO, really beautiful. It is quite different and well worth visiting.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Mar 25th, 2023 at 07:33 PM.
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 05:25 AM

We liked the Piazza Bellini Hotel. We also didn't have a car and were able to easily get to and from the airport and around town. We managed to take a day trip to Ischia, which was lovely but not super easy to get to.
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by OverIt
We liked the Piazza Bellini Hotel. We also didn't have a car and were able to easily get to and from the airport and around town. We managed to take a day trip to Ischia, which was lovely but not super easy to get to.
Piazza Bellini hotel comes highly recommended on these boards and I was looking to book there last May, before deciding on an Airbnb. The hotel has some apartments too, if you’d be interested.

We spent 4 days in Naples and did one day trip to Pompeii. The Circumvesuviana was most convenient, it stops right at the entrance to the site. We were there May 3 and it was still quite hot, so carry a lot of water, sunscreen and hats.

We climbed Vesuvius with a tour from Salerno in 2016, don’t remember too many details, but it was just a half day tour. We went on to a winery for lunch and tastings in the afternoon.

The Amalfi Coast is drop dead gorgeous, but it’s kind of hop, skip and jump from Naples. We spent 4 days in Atrani before Naples last year, we didn’t have a car either, but the bus and ferry is most convenient. Though I’m not sure you’ll have the time for a visit.

IMO one day is way too little for Naples, there’s so much to see and do there. I’d add your extra day to Naples and keep Positano, etc for another trip.

Last edited by geetika; Mar 26th, 2023 at 08:49 AM.
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 11:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Climbing Vesuvius in July... High temps could be above 90F. I would start as early as possible, wear a hat and carry a lot of water. In hiking terms, it's an easy, short walk, but the temps and loose gravel/pumice will make it challenging.

Wandering Pompeii could also be uncomfortable in those high temps. There is very little shade throughout the excavation area.

If there happens to be rain in the forecast (not likely but possible), I'd reconsider or re-time both outings.
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 11:48 AM

You could stay close to Pompeii in the town sitting on the ruins of Herculaneum

https://flic.kr/p/a3dM4H
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 11:57 AM

I’d agree with staying in Naples. Piazza Bellini was wonderful and very handy to the National Archeological Museum, which is an excellent complement to Pompeii as many of the sculptures and mosaics were moved from Pompeii to the museum. There are no doubt cheaper hotels closer to the train station.

Herculaneum is also easily reached from Naples, and those ruins are more compact and better shaded. Shuttle buses to the Vesuvius trailhead leave from Ercolano station on the Circumvesuviana train line
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 12:44 PM

Do you have your arrival and departure schedules yet? Where will you be coming from to Naples and where will you be going after Naples? Will you be flying into and/or out of Naples or arriving or departing by train? Do you enjoy interesting, busy cities more or beautiful landscapes and being outdoors? Knowing those things will help with best suggestions.
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

I cannot reschedule- the trip is planned around a concert that I have tickets to.
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Do you have your arrival and departure schedules yet? Where will you be coming from to Naples and where will you be going after Naples? Will you be flying into and/or out of Naples or arriving or departing by train? Do you enjoy interesting, busy cities more or beautiful landscapes and being outdoors? Knowing those things will help with best suggestions.
I will be flying into and out of Naples. The trip is scheduled around a concert, and I have a limited number of days. This is why I know I am staying in the immediate area of Pompeii/ Naples and not heading off to Rome, etc. I know that I will see Pompeii and hike up Vesuvius- I just need ideas for accommodations and what to see around Naples/ Pompeii since my schedule is very tight.

I try to only plan one activity per day, because I know I will find other things to do along the way. I understand that Vesuvius is not an all-day event, but that is what I will do on one particular day... when I'm done, I'll wander and see what else I find. I never like to feel "rushed" from one place to the next, so I tend to just plan 1 or maybe 2 things a day.

Last edited by GentryRacing; Mar 29th, 2023 at 09:51 AM.
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 09:12 AM

I usually do not suggest staying in Pompei (I found the town less than inspiring, the site remarkably so!), but in your case, I would consider a night there because of the concert, so you can go back to your room and cool off and rest in between visiting the site and the concert. That might also help you get an early start to Vesuvius in the morning. Then I would move to Naples, where all of the action is.
The public transport in the area is fantastic--commuter train and bus from Naples to Pompeii, no need to worry about being walking distance anywhere.
As recommended above, Hotel Piazza Bellini is in a great location in Naples.

Last edited by yorkshire; Mar 29th, 2023 at 09:27 AM.
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 09:22 AM

I don’t think anyone was suggesting to re-schedule, only knowing the schedule in order to give better advice. For example (and this is just for thought, not even advice), knowing how exhausting the day in the sun in Pompeii was, and how hot and sweaty we were, I might consider doing something else the first day, so I could have a shower and dinner before the concert. That would mean touring closer to the hotel or a hotel closer to Pompeii. Since you want time in Naples anyway, perhaps Naples the day of the concert, the concert in the evening. That leaves three free days.
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
I don’t think anyone was suggesting to re-schedule, only knowing the schedule in order to give better advice. For example (and this is just for thought, not even advice), knowing how exhausting the day in the sun in Pompeii was, and how hot and sweaty we were, I might consider doing something else the first day, so I could have a shower and dinner before the concert. That would mean touring closer to the hotel or a hotel closer to Pompeii. Since you want time in Naples anyway, perhaps Naples the day of the concert, the concert in the evening. That leaves three free days.
Everything is very loose right now because I don't know what my flights will be yet. My best guess is that I will arrive mid-day on the 23rd (Day 1).
Day 1: Since it is only a half day (arrival day), I'll just get into my hotel, find some food, maybe check out the local market or something in the neighborhood. Stock up on some water for the week, etc. Get some good rest that night for an early morning and long day tomorrow.
Day 2: See Pompeii, then refresh with a shower and go to the concert that night. (That's why I want to stay in that area- I'll get home late.)
Day 3: Hike Vesuvius (might do a couple of paths up and down- I like to hike). See whatever is in the area.
Day 4: Naples- not sure what to do there, but this is the day for anything considered a "must-see" in Naples. (I've heard there is plenty to see, so I should be able to put in one very solid day.)
Day 5: Might fly home this day. Since this day might not even exist, I don't want to plan anything too big. It might be a good day to go back to something I've seen or heard about in previous days, do a bus tour, or something like that.
Day 6: Last day U can possibly be there. Will most certainly fly home, so not planning anything but breakfast.

Again, this is all very speculative, depending on the flights I get. I won't have much time there, so I'd like to squeeze a few quality experiences into the trip. That's why I'm hoping to hear what people consider "must-see" things around Naples and Pompeii.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 01:27 AM

IMO the absolute must-see in Naples is the Archeological Museum, where a major part of artifacts from Pompeii are housed. You’ll easily spend a couple of hours there, I felt visiting after Pompeii added to the experience.

You can do a walking tour of Naples, go to the sea front one evening for an aperitif and gorgeous views of Mt Vesuvius across the Bay of Naples. We particularly loved the Sansevero Chapel with the incredible statue of Christo Velato, the Veiled Christ. But the chapel is small, with timed tickets, not sure if this will work with your schedule.

Naples if s the birthplace of the pizza, with some very old and famous pizzerias. Da Michele had been in business for over 150 years and offers just 3-4 choices, but the pizza was absolutely delicious. All very close to hotel Piazza Bellini, which is ideally located to the various sites..
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 02:44 AM

I might try to pop over to Ischia or Procida for a day. It requires an early start and a bit of coordination but we loved our trip to Ischia last August. We went to a hot spring/thermal pool park. It was a bit difficult to figure out the ferry and buses but ultimately very rewarding.