Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   4 days in london - LONG (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/4-days-in-london-long-758408/)

oh2doula Dec 27th, 2008 07:04 PM

4 days in london - LONG

I know this is ALOT in a single day but ALOT are walkbys - not sure on what day to do what - will be there March 12 - arive Heathrow at 11:00am and depart 12:30 March 16

I have sent request for Ceremony of the keys and possible show -

Harry Potter fans - would it be feasible to taketube to Kings Cross when we arrive for the platfrom 9 3/4 photo opp and then on to our hotel - Travelodge London City Rd - yes i know not most direct route but thought it would be awesome start - and one thing out of the way.

Buckingham Palace
St james place
Tate Britain
*Westminster Walk
Westminster bridge
Big Ben
Parliament
Jewel tower
Westminter Abbey
#10 Downing Street
Banqueting House
Horse guard daily 16:00
National Gallary
St Martin in The Fields Church
Trafalgar Square

Tower of London
London Wall
City Walk – 3 hours
London bridge
Old Bailey
St bride’s
St Paul’s
Ye olde Cheshire Cheese Tavern
Savoy

*Bankside Walk
London bridge
Old Operating theater
Borough market

beachcombing
Shakespeare Globe
Thames view
Millennium Bridge
Tate Modern
Great Fire
London Eye
Fire Station - pub
British library
British Museum
WEST End Walk 1 hour
Leicester Square
Covent Garden
Piccadilly Circus
National Gallery
National portrait

janisj Dec 27th, 2008 07:19 PM

OK - please clarify - do the lists of sites between each set of "**** " denote a day's itinerary?

If so, only day 3 is close to doable. Day 3 is actually pretty good.

All the others are very difficult to impossible.

For instance -- day 2:
• Last entry to St Paul's is at 4PM
• There are simply not enough hours in the day to see the Tower (2.5 - 3 hours), the City Walk (3 hrs), St Paul's (1 hr and arriving before 1600), plus all those other places and travel between them.

And your day 1 - Beyond nutty (meant in the <i>nicest</i> possible way). You will be jet lagged, you have to travel across all of London to get to your hotel - and then you want to see Tate Britain, Westminster Abbey and the National Gallery not counting all those other things. No way - no how.

BTW - you listed the National Gallery on 2 different days - so deleting one does help a teensy bit

oh2doula Dec 27th, 2008 08:03 PM

yes **** means new day and thats what i meant by not know which day to do what...... so moving st pauls - is that doable?? what would be best for first day - arriving at 11:00 am - hoping to be at hotel around 2:00

the city walk includes London bridge through savoy - does that help - 3 hours for tower and three for city walk - 6 hours total

thanks for pointing out the repeat - I will take off the Buckingham day- which NO does not have to be first day - what about bankside for first day??

Buckingham list are mostly walkbys - which would you delete - the westminster walk which is everything listed after westminster walk is only suppose to take couple of hours

thanks sooo much I do appreciate!!

yk Dec 27th, 2008 08:48 PM

I can't see how you can visit British Library, British Museum, National Gallery, and National Portrait Gallery all in one day.

Either break them up to visit over several days, or simply just skip 2 or 3 of them for your next visit.

(Oh, and you have NG on day one as well.)

Decide what you like, ie, do you like Modern art, or do you like British paintings, or do you like Old Masters, or do you like Impressionists? Make up your mind and just visit the museum(s) that suits your interests. There's no point to go to a museum just to say &quot;I've been there&quot; when you aren't interested in the art. To me, that's just a plain waste of your very short time in London.

janisj Dec 27th, 2008 10:13 PM

You really only have 3.5 days free, but have a wish list that could easily fill a week or more. Pare it way back - sure many of your sites are mere &quot;walk-bys&quot; - but you have to get from point to point - and transport can take longer than you may imagine.

If you arrive LHR at 11 AM you will be doing well to be at the hotel by 2PM. 11:00 is only when your plane is scheduled to touch down - it is not when the plane gets to a gate, when you walk to arrivals, clear through immigration, have your luggage, or queue up to buy your Oysters/transit tickets.

Have you flown overnight before? Many people find arrival day to be pretty difficult - and it is best to just have some fresh air, long walks, maybe a sightseeing bus. But museums/Westminster Abbey and other indoors things can be a problem.

&quot;<i>3 hours for tower and three for city walk - 6 hours total</i>&quot; The math just doesn't work that way. Yes - the two do each take 3 hours. But you need to add travel time, lunch, things like that. The Tower of London and a 3 hour walk is pretty much a full day.

janisj Dec 27th, 2008 10:23 PM

To add more about dealing w/ your first day - here is a post from your other thread:

&gt;&gt;&gt;<font color="blue">Author: ElendilPickle
Date: 12/28/2008, 12:05 am
We took one of the hop-on, hop-off tours last year after we arrived in London. Honestly, we were so tired that it was nice to just sit down on the bus and not have to think too much about planning a route. By the time we got to the Tower of London, we were falling asleep, so we got off and walked around a bit.

Lee Ann</font>&lt;&lt;&lt;

You really can't count on doing much more than that on arrival day. If you feel great - well - that is a bonus. But it is more likely you'll feel like you've been run over by a truck. So if you plan any of the big, major indoor sites on day 1 - there is a good chance you'll either miss out, or feel so crappy that you don't enjoy them.

IMO you need to pare your entire list about in half, and then assume you'll still miss something in 3+ days.

flanneruk Dec 27th, 2008 10:56 PM

On Harry Potter etc.

From LHR to the City Rd Travelodge, the most direct route by public transport is to get the tube to Kings Cross. I wouldn't, with luggage, get the tube on to City Rd anyway (it's a real shlep from the platform up to the top, around the complex navigation, then on to the hotel. Fine once you know it, but not until). Get out of the tube at KX, do your Harry Potter stuff, then get a cab to the hotel (about &pound;10)

nona1 Dec 28th, 2008 12:10 AM

You mention London Bridge twice too - and I don't think you even mean London Bridge (which is a boring concrete modern one) but Tower Bridge (the pretty old one with the two towers). You'll see Tower Bridge when you go to the Tower of London.

cbo86 Dec 28th, 2008 04:10 AM

Much good advice here. I would only plan for 3 days using the travel days (arrival/departure) as my &quot;walkbys&quot; things, get show tickets, tube passes ect, maybe stroll Covent Garden or Leicester square at night(why day except to get tickets), check for area restaurants but definitely no museums or shows(why, because I fell asleep doing both and regret it). Then you can cram in 3 days and try to do it it all, but be sure to prioritize by &quot;must sees&quot; and &quot;can delete&quot; as you go along because you will have to adjust when on the fly. A way to see if your plan would work is to budget plan your time at the sites especially the major ones. How long will you spend at the Tower of London ect.

Cholmondley_Warner Dec 28th, 2008 04:15 AM

What the bloody hell do you want to go to the Fire Station for? Firstly it's not really a pub - it's a restaurant. Secondly it's full of wankers. Thirdly it's a short walk to some really nice pubs from there.

I used to work on top of the Fire Station (As did another quondam poster here. I know because he was in the same office!) and even we didn't use the Fire Station for beer purposes.

tod Dec 28th, 2008 05:03 AM

When Cholmondley_Warner gets a little hot under the collar about something I immediately check it out! Like The Fire Station Pub.
Just Googled it and lo and behold the man is absolutely right about it according to the remarks made by other patrons (past, probably never to return!).
&quot;Too packed, too noisy - Rubbish!&quot;
&quot;Takes a lifetime getting served&quot;
&quot;Expensive beer poorly kept by staff too few in numbers&quot;
&quot;No sitting except for dining&quot;

That would be enought to make me head for something along The Cut.
Any suggestions Cholmondley?

Cholmondley_Warner Dec 28th, 2008 05:17 AM

I like the Hole in The Wall (in the railway arches at the front of Waterloo). It used to be MI5's staff pub and is still a decent boozer - with pretty good food.

The Kings Arms in Roupel Street is one of the best ten pubs in London IMHO (I hate giving away the good ones - but no one reads any of this do they?)

http://www.fancyapint.com/pubs/pub1006.html

CW - one time daily visitor to Waterloo.

Cholmondley_Warner Dec 28th, 2008 05:23 AM

beachcombing&gt;&gt;&gt;

If you mean looking through the mud on the thames when the tide's out - you can't do this and you shouldn't. Apart from the fact that you will get filthy it's also pretty dangerous.

If the old Bill see you - they will stop you.

Some other things:

Old Bailey&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

THis is a pain in the arse as well. You won't be allowed in if you are carrying anything &quot;offensive&quot; (eg penknife). Also you can't go in there with a mobile phone/blackberry etc. There's no where in the Bailey to store them - but a local newsagent will store your mobile for a fee.

Also in real life trials are pretty dull.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Savoy&gt;&gt;

They have a dress code and they mean it. Check for the appropraite code for whichever bit you want.

Borough market&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Beware this is only open thursday- sunday (and sunday is rammed)

tod Dec 28th, 2008 06:04 AM

Thanks CW - We had an old friend (no more of this world) by the name of Neil. He used to work in the County Hall building and always went to a pub in The Cut after work.
I could never remember the names but I'm pretty sure Hole In The Wall was one of them.
Thanks for those pub names.

oh2doula Dec 28th, 2008 06:12 AM

thanks so much everyone.

beachcombign seems out

will trim down museums

FIRE station - dating a firefighter - my just be walk by and photo.

thanks for the HP suggestions
and again what do which day has not been decided.

and I know that there are only so many hours and we will get to what we can.....

BP - Tower - Big Ben - must sees but other than that we have agreed - &quot;WE ARE IN LONDON&quot; - so no disappointment!!

keep the advice coming

Old Operating Theater - thinking about dropping

yk Dec 28th, 2008 09:29 AM

&lt;&lt; Old Operating Theater - thinking about dropping &gt;&gt;

I can tell you that I visited the Old Operating Theatre &amp; Herb Garret on my most recent trip in Nov 2008. I finally went there after I have visited London over a dozen times in the last 15 years. Unless you are extremely interested in history of medicine/surgery, or in history of herbal medicine, I'd give that a pass this time.

Elainee Dec 28th, 2008 12:49 PM

Take a look at the London Walks website. Their group walks are very good and can make efficient use of your limited time. Borough Market is a favorite of mine since I will buy food there to cook for dinner. In March it will be cold and rainy and the market is NOT heated. I would not put it at the top of your list. London Walks does do a beachcombing walk but, I think, only in the summer. As others have said...you will tired from the flight and will need to sleep, eat, and sit occasionally.

janisj Dec 28th, 2008 01:01 PM

Something to consider re London Walks. They are great - no question about that. BUT - w/ only 3.5 days they may not be the best use of time. Don't get me wrong - I'm always recommending LW. But when one only has a few days and a laundry list of 150 things to see (just a slight exaggeration :) ) - - - - spending 3 hours exploring a limited area or (a specialized theme) may be a luxury you don't have time for.

If you were in town a week or so and had a few free mornings or afternoons - go for it. But when you need to move fast just to see even a small part of your wish list . . . .

What I'm really saying is - if you cut your list back significantly and do things at a slower pace - then London Walks are terrific and definitely check them out.

oh2doula Dec 28th, 2008 02:50 PM

the 'walks&quot; are from Rick Steves' travel guide - they are on our own.

oh2doula Dec 28th, 2008 03:02 PM

Hyde park
Harrods
Buckingham Palace
St james place
*Westminster Walk
Westminster bridge
Big Ben
Parliament
Jewel tower
Westminter Abbey
#10 Downing Street