4 days in London

Search

4 days in London

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 days in London

My husband and I are taking our 2 teenagers (boy 16, girl 13) to Europe. We would like to spend 4 days in London. Any ideas of fun teenage attractions, other than Buckingham, Westminster, Trafalgar square? Any hotels that would accomodate us in 1 room? Are Mayfair and Soho areas the best places to look?

All comments are welcome!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 02:06 PM

One room for four people? I think it'd be very uncomfortable, you're far better off with two interconnecting (or simply adjoining) rooms. I would advise a suite, but a two bedroom (or suitable for four persons) one will not come cheap. As for areas, I'd always recommend W1 (Mayfair, Soho, and others) as it's extremely central and you'll be able to walk to many of the attractions. A final word on hotels, well more of a request...what's your budget? Then one (and others) can recommend properties.

Teenage attractions? Well it depends on what your children enjoy. If they like something a little "cultured" the V&A and British Museum will entertain them, as will the many Tate galleries and others will keep them amused too. Also, shops. But that's another thread really. Four days isn't all that long so work out what you really want to see, and what you will save for another time.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. As for budget...having no idea what hotels go for in London in June it is hard to come up with a price. We would like something clean, nice, and easy to get to. We don't plan on spending much time in the room. Upscale is not necessary...but would prefer 3 stars or better, depending on price. We may be traveling with a couple of sets of Grandparents...so location is important.

As for kid friendly activities...they can handle a couple of hours doing museums but they would be looking for something with a bit more adventure. They are both active in soccer and various sports.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 04:36 PM

I would recommend Priceline for London but I don't know how you do 2 rooms or 4 to a room for a single room. Maybe someone can chime in on that. As for the sights they will love the Tower of London and the crown jewels. The Jack the Ripper walking tour is super. They will more than likely enjoy Greenwich.

One of our favorites is the 200 treasures room at the British Library near Pancreas (sp) Station. They have a Gutenberg Bible, the Magna Carta, original manuscript of Alice in Wonderland, The Messiah, a Mozart manuscript and originals from the Beatles.

They would also probably enjoy seeing a play. Go to Leichester Square to the TKTS booth in the middle of the square to see what half-price day of performance tickets are availble.

As for where to stay, the tube makes everything convenient so you are ok for the west end, Kensington and about 20 other locations. We like to stay in the West End (theater district, or Soho) because you are right at most of the stuff we like to see when you step out your door.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 05:21 PM

There are also apartments that are well located. The advantage is that you can have two bedrooms and a sitting area. Also kitchen for breakfast/snacks and often laundry )not that you would likely need that for a 4 day trip. Some have daily linen/cleaning.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:43 AM

"As for budget...having no idea what hotels go for in London in June it is hard to come up with a price."

A budget is a budget, regardless. If one is willing to spend 300GBP per night, then that can go worldwide. A budget is a fixed quantity, not a variable.

My budget is the same worldwide, whether I'm in Spain or Germany etc. etc.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:05 AM
oldie

Well Buckingham is a pleasant town, home to Britain's only independent university, nice Georgian architecture, Stowe Landscape Gardens etc.

I don't know if I would take out one of only four days to visit it, though.
I should spend the four days in London and explore the countryside on another trip.

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:17 AM

Buckingham Palace (which is what I think you meant) needn't detain you for long, since (apart from a period for pre-booked visits during the summer)you can only see the outside of the building.

It sounds as though the hop-on hop-off bus ride would be an idea since at least you get to see something of the main historic buildings and areas; but why not get your teenagers to look through some guidebooks and www.timeout.com/london and see what they'd like to do? Some teenagers might enjoy the Science Museum and/or the V&A, or the British Museum, others might hate them. Likewise a trip to Greenwich and back by boat one way and (driverless) Docklands Light Railway the other way - National Maritime Museum and Museum in Docklands on the history of ships, the river and trade in London, the Observatory on time and time measurement, Greenwich Park and (on the weekends) an arts and crafts market.

If they are particularly keen on soccer, you could see if there's a stadium tour at one of the London grounds, though with only four days that might be a bit of an extra.

Otherwise, there are plenty of opportunities for walking: guided walks on particular themes, or just a good long hike through the parks.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:32 AM

Take them on a night ghost walk with London Walks.

Be sure to visit the Tower of London. You might also consider requesting free tickets for the ceremony of the keys, a fairly intimate ceremony where they lock up the tower in the late evening. It isn't really done for the tourists and has been done the same way every night for hundreds of years.

Take a boat ride down to Greenwich & tour the Naval Museum and Observatory.

Keith
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:09 AM

The London Walks are great. You could have your kids do a little research online and have them select ones they are interested in:
http://www.walks.com/