Search

4 days in Gdansk. Any suggestions ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2014, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 days in Gdansk. Any suggestions ?

Dear All,

My family will go to Poland and decided to stay in Gdansk for 4 days (5 days/4 nights).

Could you suggest me some places that worth for day-trips ?

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

Gavin
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 09:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Five days in Gdańsk allows you ample time to visit the whole Trójmiasto area which includes Gdynia, Sopot and Gdańsk.

I assume you have your Gdańsk activities already covered ( Muzeum Morskie, Stary Żuraw, etc.)
so the only thing I will mention is a boat trip on the F5 Tramwaj Wodny to Westerplatte.

Westerplatte is where the first shot of WW2 were fired. There are some ruins and a museum.
You can take the F5 around 10:00 and take the return around 14:00.

Another day trip I would suggest it to Gdynia and Sopot. You can take the SKM train from Gdańsk Główny station and get off at Gdynia Główna station. From the Gdynia station it is a half hour walk to the center of town or you can take the nr 21 electric tram. The 21 runs along the main Gdynia streets, never more than a 10 minute walk from the major points of interest. (All the interesting stuff will be on the left)

Skwer Kościuszki is the heart of Gdynia, with Dar Pomorza, former training ship, now a museum, and ORP Błyskawica, a WW2 destroyer that fought in the Battle of the North Atlantic and at the Normandy landings. Gdynia is the port from which Bismark and Prinz Eugen sailed to sink the HMS Hood. As well, Wilhelm Gustloff sailed from here on its last voyage. The battleship Gneisenau was scuttled here in 1945 to block the harbour. Some of its guns are in the Muzeum Marynarki Wojennej.

The museum of Gdynia deals with the history of its development after WW1, WW2 occupation and the events of December 1970.

Get back on the 21 and get off in Orłowo, and take a short walk to the seacoast and Molo Orłoskie. Tawerna Orłoska is a good place to eat and have a beer.

The 21 takes you to Sopot where you can take a walk on Monte Cassino, and Molo Sopockie. Grand Hotel in Sopot has been around since the twenties. Its guests have included Goering , Hitler, Omar Shariff, Marlene Dietrich and the Shah of Iran. You can’t beat Sopot for the nightlife and a youthful atmosphere.

From Sopot is is a short taxi ride to Gdańsk.

Another possible day is the F1 water tram from Gdańsk to Hel. The first one leaves at 08:30 and it is possible to return as late as 22:00.

The Oliwa cathedral, with its historic organ and beautiful botanical gardens is also worth a visit.

Mark
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your response and your suggestions give me a lot of useful information.