Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 days in Florence, is this enough time for a day trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 03:52 PM
tippett

I have 4 days in Florence. I am thinking about taking a day trip or 2. Will I get bored in the city all 4 days? Any recommendations or must-sees?

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:22 PM
John G

You can't possibly see all of Florence in 4 days. I have been there 3 times and I haven't seen all of the city yet. It takes 2 days just to see the Uffizi.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Vita

Depending on what you like, I think there's enough in Florence to keep you occupied for 4 days, but a day trip or even two would also be reasonable. Siena and San Gimignano are both Tuscan towns accessible by bus and Fiesole is only about 20 minutes away. A friend of mine even did a day trip to Venice from Florence. (It was a long day.) You can always decide whether you want to take a day trip when you get to Florence and see how you like it.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:29 AM
Chris

It all depends on how much of an art lover you are -- if you can immerse yourself for 2 days at the Uffizi, there's no time for a day trip. But if you're like me and get "art overload" after a couple of days, a day trip would break up your time nicely.<BR><BR>Must-sees? That's the problem -- everything's a must-see! That's where the "if I see another 'Madonna and Child, I'm going to scream" feeling comes in...

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:31 AM
elaine

Why not just wait until you get there and see how things go and how the weather is. A day trip to Siena and/or San G. is great, but no point going imo if it's pouring rain. Do a little advance reading on taking the daytrip, and bring the info with you.<BR>I have a file on Florence and nearby areas; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:55 AM
Vita

Oops. Didn't see your other question about "must-sees". Once again, it really depends on what you like, but since I love talking about Florence:<BR><BR>1) The duomo - Climb to the top of the dome to get a better look at the frescoes and to see a great view of Florence (can also climb the Campanile right next to it). If you're interested in architecture, 'Brunelleschi's Dome' discusses some of the history behind the construction of the dome.<BR><BR>2) Accademia to see David and The Slaves<BR><BR>3) Uffizi Gallery - I guess you could spend days there. It took me about an hour. <BR><BR>4) Santa Croce - Burial site of many famous Florentines, also has beautiful (but very faded) frescoes<BR><BR>5) Piazzale Michelangelo - For a great view of Florence. Go to the top of the hill and visit the church San Miniato.<BR><BR>6) Boboli Gardens - Take a stroll through the maze of plantlife and statues. Bring a picnic lunch and a good book.<BR><BR>7) There are several other museums that I didn't go to because I really just wanted to walk around Florence and be outside - The Bargello and the Museum of Science come to mind<BR><BR>8) Then there's just the glory of exploration - taking strolls along the Arno, peaking in shops, trying all the pastries and gelato, etc. etc. etc.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Annie

We recently spent four days in Florence and took one day trip to Lucca. This worked for us. We were very busy while in Florence and were able to see what we wanted to see and do. Of course, it all depends on you; I can see how an artist could spend days/weeks in the museums.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Tess

Florence can easily occupy all four of your days. I do think that it is worth taking one day trip to experience one of the smaller cities. IMHO, you haven't truly seen the essence of Italy until you've been in smaller towns throughout Tuscany.<BR><BR>My vote is for Siena. It's a delightfully charming medieval city(cobblestone streets, walled city). For a do-it-yourselfer, you can take the SITA bus from Florence to Siena. Alternatively, there are day tour trips you can use that may be more to your style. Another poster asked about day trips --- I think it's easiest if I simply copy & paste those replies here:<BR><BR>==========

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:14 AM
dan woodlief

We spent three days in Florence, and I wish I would have liked to have four. I think four is perfect, and you definitely will not run out of things to do. I would plan it this way. Think of taking a daytrip on either day 3 or 4 but don't finalize your plans until you have been in Florence for a couple of days and know whether you want to stay in the city.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Tess

... finally ! website makes me crazy -- here's input ==========<BR>DAY TRIP TOURS FROM FLORENCE?<BR> <BR>Author: angela ( --- )<BR>Date: 03/01/2002, 05:32 pm<BR>My husband and I are going to Florence in the fall with another couple. We are wondering if there is a tour company within Florence that does day trips - to the countryside, etc. We would like to be in charge of our own agenda, but might enjoy a tour one day. Can anyone recommend a website or a service that gives us the name of a tour company in Florence?<BR>Thanks so much.<BR><BR>----------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR>Author: Grasshopper (---)<BR>Date: 03/01/2002, 05:35 pm<BR>Angela,<BR><BR>www.caftours.com is just what you're looking for. I recommend both the Siena/San G. tour and the afternoon Chianti tour (I really enjoyed that one!) The brochures can be found in every hotel lobby. <BR><BR>----------------------------------------<BR><BR>Author: gipsi (---)<BR>Date: 03/02/2002, 05:39 am<BR>We had tours in Siena and Florece with tour organizer ([email protected])<BR><BR>----------------------------------------<BR><BR>Author: mike (---)<BR>Date: 03/02/2002, 07:17 am<BR>I did a half day trip to Pisa, and it was good. I arranged it at the Hotel.<BR><BR>----------------------------------------<BR><BR>Author: Debbie ( --- )<BR>Date: 03/02/2002, 12:34 pm<BR>I would also recommend the 20 minute bus trip out of Florence to Fiesole. It is a suburb north of Florence which has the most amazing views. It also has a terrific Roman ruin town within it(complete with amplitheater,etc.) that they have uncovered.Our family enjoyed the history,views and wandering around the ruins. Definitely worth the stop! We took the public bus service(I think that it was around where David/Accademia is?) and the price was just several dollars for a round trip-about a 20 minute ride.<BR><BR>----------------------------------------<BR><BR>Author: mac@fiesole (---)<BR>Date: 03/02/2002, 01:41 pm<BR>Debbie & all:<BR>We also want to visit Fiesole while in Florence in May. Everyone says Fiesole is a must visit! ARE THERE ANY REASONABLY PRICED PLACES TO EAT LUNCH OR DINNER? WE LOOK FORWARD TO FIESOLE.<BR><BR>----------------------------------------<BR><BR>Author: angela ( --- )<BR>Date: 03/06/2002, 10:00 am<BR>I took your advice, grasshopper, and looked up the website for CAFTOURS and it looks like it's just the info I was searching for! Thanks to all for your input. <BR><BR>--- *** --- *** -------