4 days in Florence in Nov...advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all! This board was so helpful when I was planning our trip to Anmsterdam last year, I thought I would use it again!

My husband and I will be spending Thanksgiving in Florence this year, I believe we will have 4 days total in the city (arriving on Tues and leaving on Sat.). I was hoping for some advice in planning our stay so we can get the most out of our time!

We're both artists, so, of course we want to soak up all the amazing art history! Anyone have any advice on some must sees, or favorite places?

Also, we both food fiends so we'd like to have some yummy food experiences.

Alas, with the dollar being what it is, and our current finacial situation we're going to be on a bit of a budget...does anyone have any money saving tips, cheaper yummy places to eat etc etc etc? Any and all advice is appreciated!
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Hi Iberg - A very good place to start your planning is the Florence Tourist Office website:

http://www.firenzeturismo.it/index.php?lang=en_EN

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Of course the Uffizi Museum; buy tickets in advance so that you can skip the queue and go to Will Call.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 08:02 AM

If you want a cheap, portable, and delicious lunch, have a panino at Antico Noe (Volta di San Piero 6/r, the covered passage at the Santa Croce end of Borgo degli Albizzi). I think the sandwiches are all under 5 EUR. If you don't like the combinations on the menu board, they will gladly create a custom panino for you. No tables. A tiny stand up counter only, but most people pay and eat their sandwiches while roaming the streets instead. There usually is the same guy working the counter, and he is extremely kind and patient, even if you speak no Italian!

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Hi Iberghol,

We'll be there around the same time, the 23rd-29th. On Saturday, if you have time, you might want to check out the Truffle Fair in San Miniato. I've heard it's amazing.

We're both foodies, too, so we're really excited about the festival. Apparently, there's a ton of truffles, fresh pressed wine and olive oil.

Here are a few sites that talk about it. We'll be there on the 25th. San Miniato is between Florence and Pisa.

http://bootsintheoven.typepad.com/bo...n_miniato.html

http://goeurope.about.com/od/sanmini...to_truffle.htm

Julie
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 08:47 AM
pdx

Hi, Iberghol. I was first in Florence 15 years ago and it has changed so much since then. Not the main sights, of course, but the general environment is so much busier and more upscale. I loved Florence, and used to stay in a fairly inexpensive pensione just down the street from the Piazza della Signoria. Those days are gone and the pensione isn't there anymore but I still love Florence.
But others that visit lately have told me they didn't fall in love with it. I'm going again next month and I'm taking my new husband (not the old one) and I want him to fall in love with it, too, and I'm trying to think of things that make it special. What I think of most is Osteria San Niccolo, which I have no idea if it is still there, but it had a downstairs seating area that was almost cave-like and filled with people (lots of students) and a wonderful, neighborhood feel. The Medici Chapel is an ethereal place especially if you can be there when there aren't many people.
Vivoli gelato is a ritual that must be observed; riso, nocci, and the chocolate orange are faves. The mercato centrale, people are so happy to introduce you to their products. In another area of town there was a meat market with the 3 little pigs sitting at a table. Buy something to snack on later. I've always regretted not buying the dried pig snouts to bring back as gifts. They've never had them again when I've checked since then.
I think overall my treasured memories have to do with the strolling and absorbing, which maybe you can do in the evenings after you're done with the Uffizi and the daytime activities. It's such a privilege to be able to travel and to view these masterpieces of art and architecture. I need to take my own advice and take it slow this time. I think being in Florence in the afternoon/evening when the crowds thin out will be your most enchanting time.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Our family traveled to Florence this summer for only a day and loved every second of it! You may want to begin reading The Agony and the Ecstasy, The Historical Biography of Michelangelo before leaving next week. I just finished the book and wished that I had read it before visiting Florence. It is phenomenal. We booked two tours through Artiva (which I found to be resonably priced) and we had lunch at a place called Mario's near the train station - our family of four had a gynormus (one of my 12 year old's words)meal for about 40 Euros. We asked three local people the best place to get a Florentine steak and they each suggestion Mario's. It is only open for lunch (but trust me, you will only want a limited dinner after having lunch there). My trip report was called something like: Amazing Two Week Family Trip to Italy. I have the website of Mario's in that trip report! Enjoy! Wow - I wish I was leaving for Italy in just a few days!
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Iberghol, we are going to Florence in June and have reserved an apt at sleepinginflorence.com. Ours was 105 euros per night, and has a clothes washer. With a kitchen you can save by eating in at times. It has good reviews and is near San Lorenzo market, I believe.

Look forward to reading your trip report.

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 11:16 PM

Hi

We went to Florence for 4 days in July. Here is my trip report with pictures, links, maps etc: http://gardkarlsen.com/florence_italy_travelogue.htm . I hope that you can find some useful info there

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 09:52 AM

bookmarking
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 09:59 AM

You can read some of my food tips if you scroll down in this report from January 2006:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34743272