4 days in Bath on my own

Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

4 days in Bath on my own

I will be in Bath for 4 days on my own while my husband is working there. I've been to Bath in the past and have seen most if not all of the sights so am trying to plan day trips. I will not have a car so am relying on public transport. We will have the evenings to spend in Bath, hubby is so excited to try the local beers! I am more interested in afternoon tea and scones

Monday
Taking a MadMax tour to Stonehenge and Lacock.

Tuesday
Train (direct I hope) to Salisbury. Is it best to purchase a train ticket in advance, or can I do it that day or day before?

Wednesday
Bus to Wells to see the cathedral, explore the town and market.

Thursday?

Is Bristol worth a visit? I would love to visit Cardiff, I understand it is a short 1-1.5 hr train ride from Bath? I am intrigued by the suspension bridge in/near Bristol over the Avon Gorge. Where is the best place to view the bridge/gorge ?
Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:24 PM

Several years ago, I was in Southampton on business.

My mother was with me, as we were going from there on holiday.

She went to Bath. Also check out Salibury or Winchester for their quaint towns and cathedrals.

Whatevery you do, check out advance tickets online. Your schedule is pretty set, so not much risk on missing the train.
Jun 3rd, 2012, 08:21 PM

I recommend Bizarre Bath Walks, a tour which supposedly tells the history of Bath, but is really a walking comedy show. Check it out.
Jun 4th, 2012, 03:42 AM

Bristol has a number of museums and other attractions, but the major tourist draw for adults is probably the SS Great Britain, Brunel's steamship. (www.ssgreatbritain.org)

You can walk across the Clifton Suspension Bridge, and it is visible from many different parts of the city. Probably the best view is from the terrace of the Avon Gorge Hotel, where you can have lunch or just drinks. Clifton itself is an attractive area with its Georgian terraces and architecture and a good selection of restaurants. The number 8 bus runs frequently from the city centre to Clifton.

You can travel from Bath to Bristol either by bus or train. There are several of each every hour.
Jun 4th, 2012, 07:13 AM

I recommend a trip to nearby Bradford-on-Avon. You can take a local bus but I recommend walking one way along the Kennet & Avon Canal, one of the nicest and easiest of many walks I've taken in England.

In Bath you can access the canal in several places. To find it cross Pulteney Bridge from the city center, continue along Argyle which becomes Great Pulteney. At the end there's a circular road and either direction will bring you to the canal with stairs descending. Turn left and it's about a 5 mile walk along the towpath to Bradford, easily done in a day. I remember 2 pubs along the way, one on the outskirts of Bath and another at Avoncliff where the canal swings over the river by way of an aqueduct. When you get to Bradford the path brings you to the bottom of the town, turn left and you are there. There's a TIC at the bridge in the town center. A great way to spend a day.

You can, of course, do it the other way. Take a bus to Bradford and walk back to Bath. Coming that way when you see a Georgian building, Cleveland House, built over the canal you're back in Bath.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennet_and_Avon_Canal
http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and...-canal/walking
Jun 4th, 2012, 07:23 AM

Alley: It's been far too long ago, but we enjoyed the Mad Max tour.

For your husband: I believe there are at least 2 local brewers in Bath (or was at the time): Bath Ales and Abbey Ales. I think I enjoyed the prior at the Salamander pub.

By the way: The Coeur De Lion is or at least was a very cozy (tiny) pub kind of in the middle of a shopping area.
Jun 4th, 2012, 07:35 AM

http://www.coeur-de-lion.co.uk/

(That may be where I tried the Abbey Ales, noted on the website).
Jun 5th, 2012, 09:14 AM

We had a girls' night out here -

http://www.thermaebathspa.com/