Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   4 days in Amsterdam (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/4-days-in-amsterdam-647855/)

sarantom Sep 20th, 2006 01:18 PM

4 days in Amsterdam

Staying at the renaissance close to Spuistraat on Kattengat. What were your trip highlights you'd want to do again? Thanks for taking time to help me plan my trip!!!

Tom

suze Sep 20th, 2006 01:49 PM

Vondelpark
Leidseplein
Museum of the Tropics

Nina66 Sep 20th, 2006 03:19 PM

Anne Frank Haus, Van Gough Museum, Rikesmuseum (sp), I'm not sure of the exact name, but it may be called The Merchant's House, please help me here. A beautiful mansion, the Flower Market and just walking, walking, walking, especially along the canals. I've never gone to the diamond merchants area, but some say that it is interesting.

There is so much more to do there, it's a great city, enjoy your trip. Check your guidebook for lesser known sights.

Nina

suze Sep 20th, 2006 03:21 PM

I didn't, but next time think I would, take one of the touristy canal boat trips.

frankdaddy Sep 20th, 2006 03:35 PM

The Van Gogh Museum, a bike ride through Vondel Park, a real blast, the Heineken Tour, a coffee shop and have coffee???, a trip on the barge.

dovima Sep 20th, 2006 03:37 PM

I did not do the canal tour via boat either, but friends of mine said the evening tours were the best - very atmospheric, with all the bridges lit up.

There was one thing I really wanted to do as an animal lover - visit De Poezenboot, a barge converted into a shelter for cats without homes. Alas, it was closed to visitors the one day I had free.

laartista Sep 20th, 2006 03:37 PM

Mikes Bike Tour

suze Sep 20th, 2006 04:03 PM

I saw some killer street entertainment in Leidseplein square one evening. Two extremely edgy "fire dancers" did an amazing show.

BillJ Sep 20th, 2006 04:36 PM

Rembrandt Huis is extremely well done. Worth a visit if you are interested in his art. I second the canal tour. Always interesting. Try Lucius, an excellent restaurant on Spuistraat. It was our favorite during a recent 4 night stay.
Have fun!

realshalott Sep 20th, 2006 06:17 PM

lots of good Amsterdam info and links here:
http://tinyurl.com/ko7u6

sobster Sep 20th, 2006 06:27 PM

Indonesian Rice Table-I dont think they even have it in Indonesia. Try Long Pura-dont know the street. It's near the Hotel Pulitzer.

TRSW Sep 20th, 2006 06:55 PM

bm

artlover Sep 20th, 2006 08:51 PM

I'd get the VVV card again--it's good for most of the top sights inclduing the Reiksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Canal Ride (which really was nice), Rembrandt House. Not sure if it included the Stedelijk, but I'd do that again. Also, the Botantical Gardens were lovely. We also went to a great coffee house, but I can't remember the name :D, (maybe Blue Moon?) and I would certainly do THAT again :D :D!

Nina66 Sep 20th, 2006 09:51 PM

That comes as no surprise that you can't remember the name. :-))

Nina

usbeauty Sep 20th, 2006 10:24 PM

Maoz Falafel, the best one is at Muntplein on the way to Rembrandt Plein.

WillTravel Sep 20th, 2006 11:25 PM

I liked the Stedelijk in its temporary location on the harbor. I'm not sure if it's still there. The Hermitage, which is sort of an extension of the Russian Hermitage, was great. So was the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum.

Ida101 Sep 20th, 2006 11:45 PM

Take the train (you are very close to central station) and make a daytrip to Zaanse Schans (15 min, train to Koog-Zaandijk and 10 min. walk), see the old (often still working) windmills.
Also a daytrip to Delft by train is easy to do.

artlover Sep 22nd, 2006 03:48 PM

Nina,
That's true! But it was fun. I could find it in my guidebook it Tom was truly interested in going (it was one of the nicer ones.)

nonrevver Sep 22nd, 2006 04:56 PM

One of my must-sees was the secret church, Our Dear Lord in the Attic.

BabsB Sep 22nd, 2006 05:24 PM

All excellent suggestions. We really enjoyed the Yellow Bike tour and the Riks and Van Gough museums. The street entertainment is also very unusual at the Leidesplein (sp). We went to a comedy show at Boom Chicago and had a good laught as well as pretty good nachoes. (We had been gone from home a long time and they hit the spot!) The absolute best meal we had of our entire trip was at Long Pura, an Indonesian restaurant located at Rozengracht 46-48 near the Anne Frank Huis. Have a great time. Barb