Cavern de Pont D'Arc

Search

Cavern de Pont D'Arc

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cavern de Pont D'Arc

Several years ago, we visited the faux Lascaux cave and enjoyed it very much. Our English speaking guide provided an excellent commentary and the cave was amazing. I found there's another reproduction - Cavern du Pont D'Arc near where we'll be travelling when leaving Provence for Lyon. (Of course, I'd rather see the real thing, but that is not an option) Looking at the website, it looks much more developed and "commercial" than the cave at Lascaux. Has anyone visited that can provide an opinion about whether it's worthwhile to do and recommended? Thank you.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

I just did a search through the Forum for past postings about this site and it gets excellent reviews. I'm adding it to our list of things to do and will reserve tickets ahead of time.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 06:33 PM

Since you're heading up toward Lyon, visit the Arcèche to see the fabulous Aven d'Orgnac. It's a really enormous cave, reached by an elevator: that deep in the ground. It's one of the largest caves found and is great to visit on a hot day. The road to the cave goes along the Arcêche cornice; so you get two for one.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the recommendation. I just booked tickets for the 11:15 English tour at the cave. That should leave time for Aven d'Orgnac in the afternoon. Thanks again!
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 02:46 PM

We went there last year & enjoyed it. There is a lot more info at the site - explaining how people migrated there and how they lived. This type of info didn't exist at Lascaux when we were there around 8 years ago. We took the first tour of the day, explored the several museums around the grounds, had lunch there, and departed about 1 hr after lunch. Lots of stuff to see & do!! It did not seem "commercial" at all.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu - While we're on the subject, can you recommend a town within 40-60 miles from the Cavern to stay the night before? Our tickets are for 11:15. It will be the last night of our trip before heading to the airport. Thank you!
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 05:18 AM

We spent 2 weeks in a Gite just outside of Aubenas last year. While we were exploring villages in the region, we wandered into the charming village of Vinezac and discovered this interesting looking hotel/restaurant.
http://www.bastidesoleil.com/welcome/

It's just 30 mins & 22 K from Vallon Pont d'Arc. Close to Vinezac is the village of Largentiere - which was our favorite village in the region. Get a walking itinerary from the tourist office.

Do you have my 36 page itinerary for Provence & the Cote d'Azur? My most recent edition has lots of info about the Ardeche - including the hotel & villages mentioned above. If you would like a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach a one to the reply e-mail. I've sent this itinerary to over 3,000 people on Fodors.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

I have a copy of your itinerary, but must have an older version (2014). I'll email you for the most recent. Thanks, as always for your help.
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 06:31 AM

Here is another hotel/restaurant in Vallon Pont d'Arc. It doesn't seem to have the "old world charm" that the other one in Vinezac has, but it may be more practical.

The one in Vinezac is located on a small square in this interesting village, and has outside tables for lunch or dinner. I have only peeked into the place from the window - but we did not go inside.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

I just received the updated itinerary and found the Ardeche info. Thanks again!