Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 day tours of archaelogical/historic sites around Greece?

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 05:50 AM
Caitlin H.

Can anyone suggest good quality tour companies that run tours around Greece - the Peloponnese (all the standard fare Delphi, Olympia, Corinth etc) that are a bit more informative and less touristy than the norm.

We are spending 2 weeks in the Greek Islands and will then have time in Athens and surrounds before we head to Italy. My parents who visited Greece 30 years ago rave about an archeological tour they did back then.

While I am planning most of my trip as a self exploring kind, it seems sensible to go this way and make sure I see all the best Greece has to offer in my limited time.

Having been on a couple of tours in my time I know they tend to involve bus stops at glass blowing factories and cookoo clock shops, 'free time' stuck at a hotel 10 miles out of town, and expensive 'optional tours'. I really want to avoid this.

We are in our early thirties but don't want a contiki style thing.

Any ideas?

Caitlin

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 06:54 AM
Paulo

Is renting a car completely out of question, Caitlin? I sincerely can't see you guys in your early thirties being pushed around during 4 days ...

We did this easily on our own + the Blue Guide Greece. You may spend a night in Delphi, one in Olympia and two in Nafplio to explore Micenae, Tyrins and Argos. On your way back to Athens you may visit Epidaurus and Akrocorinth. If around $120/double is within your budget, you may simplify things and reserve with the Amalia Hotels (they have properties in all 3 places).

My mother went on a 3-night bus tour in the past (Delphi, Olympia, Micenae and Epidaurus) but it was organized in Italy, with an arcehology professor as a guide. I sincerely doubt that a "regular" such tour is worth it (my mother had also previously taken such a tour to Delphi (2day/1night) and it was dreadful ... exactly the way you pianted it above

Paulo

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 08:02 AM
Walter

Caitlin, I did that trip last Jan (Delphi-2nts, Olympia-2nts, Mycenae-1nt, and Nafplio-2nts. I rented a car (Paulo had answered my posts and e-mailed me quite a bit of info and used the Blue Guide Greece and bought the local site guidebook the night before to read. The Blue Guide is very detailed and you can give yourself an excellent self-guided tour of the sites/museums. Athens is a tough city to drive in and I did get alittle confused/lost on the way to Delphi. But once I got past Thebes I really didn't have any problems for the rest of the trip. If you really want to visit the sites in detail I would rent a car, unless you can find an archaelogical-only tour company. HTH Regards, Walter

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 03:20 AM
Caitlin H

I realise that doing it yourself would probably be a more rewarding way to go - but I have very limited time in Greece and was hoping there might be some recommendations on some 'better' tours available. Anybody?

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 08:18 PM
Mary

Caitlin,
With limited time, you've GOT to rent a car -- that's the only way you'll see everything you want to see. We had 3 days in Greece before we left for Egypt and sent 1/2 day in Athens, drove to Delphi, spent the night, went to site in AM, drove to Olympia, went to site, drove to Tolo (very near Nafplion), spent night, drove to Epidaurus and then back through Athens to Cape Sounion (Temple of Poseidon) and left for Egypt late that night.