Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3rd time in Ireland: what to see (Isle of Man?)

Dec 14th, 2000, 02:38 AM
eutsi

I've already been twice to Ireland, having visited Dublin, Cork, co. Kerry, Shannon mouth & Limerick, co. Galway & Connemara, as well as Northern Ireland (Belfast, Derry, Giants' Causeway...).
Now we're preparing a short trip, 7-10 days, since my g/f never would like to visit it. I've thought on the NW: co. Mayo, Sligo and Donegal, but are not sure which musts are in this area (what is the so-called Yeats' country?). I also found some info about that small island on the Irish Sea, could someone say if those old trains and that landscape are worth a visit?

Dec 14th, 2000, 08:26 AM
Carol

Donegal is simply spectacular. Go to Malin Head--it's the northern most point in Ireland. There's a drive that takes you all along the coast in Malin Head, and it's incredible.

Dec 14th, 2000, 08:38 AM
Ess

I loved the northwest part of Ireland, stayed in Sligo and Donegal. Yeats country is near (or in?) Sligo, his house is there. You could call that a "must" if you are the literary type. We stayed in a B&B in Sligo that was actually closed for the season (this was in November), but the owner opened his place up for us since it was late in the evening and we were happy-go-lucky fools driving around looking for a b&b. He made us a wonderful north Atlantic salmon dinner, we stayed up late in the lounge drinking with him and talking the night away. We sampled his own private stock of poteen (don't ask!). The next morning he gave us a wonderful Irish breakfast, and a great send-off. He charged us a ludicrously small amount, and refused to take more. What hospitality! I've never encountered anything like it anywhere else. Another place nearby is the shrine at Knock which may or may not be of interest to you, a place where there was an apparition of the holy virgin. We stopped there and got holy water to bring home. To me, the best thing about the west coast of Ireland isn't all the must-see's, must-do's, but the truly wonderful people you encounter along the way. It's laid back and you can have a wonderful time there if you "stop to smell the roses". I loved Donegal. I can't remember all the names of the towns in Donegal - a lot start with bally --something--. I don't know what a bally is, something geographical I guess. I loved driving through Donegal, at one point we were up high in the hills and it was so misty so we couldn't see the road in front of us, but could actually hear the ocean below. Sound travels far in the fog. Very romantic. The northwest coast of Ireland is one of my all-time favorite places. I highly recommend it, but it depends on what you're looking for. If you prefer cities and a lot of nightlife like you find in Galway or Dublin, you might be bored. This part of Ireland is so beautiful and pristine - a great getaway for when you're tired of "civilization" and want time to just be and to relax. There are lots of small rural pubs to discover, beautiful scenery, and if you're lucky you'll get to hear some local music or get to go to a country dance. My last trip there was several years ago, about 1994 I think. I know Ireland has come a long way in the past few years, and tourism is booming, so maybe things have changed, though I hope not!

Dec 14th, 2000, 11:37 AM
Cathy

Eutsi,
I would second the recommendation for Sligo and Donegal - check out Temple House at www.templehouse.com for an unusual place to stay. When are you planning to visit ? If landing in Dublin then head northewest, stopping off at Newgrange (ancient passage graves etc) and then onwards to Sligo, see Mullaghmore outside Sligo and the graveyard where the poet Yeats is buried at Drumcliff. Alternatively there is Wicklow Mts and Glendalough just south of Dublin. www.ireland.travel.ie is the official site of the Irish tourist baord and should assist you in your plans,

Have a great time,
Cathy

Dec 15th, 2000, 06:54 AM
eutsi

Thanks for your replies!
However, have you got any experience on the Isle of Man?

Dec 15th, 2000, 10:15 AM
robertak

What was the name of the B&B in Sligo?
If you don't know the name have you any info that will help me find it?

Dec 15th, 2000, 11:40 AM
Cathy

Eutsi,
The Isle of Man is not part of the Republic of Ireland. It is possible to fly to the Island from Dublin with Manx airlines - but after that I cann't help any further.

Robert - B&B in Sligo is Temple House at www.templehouse.com (or.ie - cann't remember which) also check out www.ireland.travel.ie for more B&Bs in the area or the hidden homs web site.

Cathy

Dec 15th, 2000, 12:50 PM
Ryn

In Donegal, I recommend the scenery on the Atlantic Drive, a route that loops the Rosguill Peninsula.

Also in that area, Glenveagh Nat'l Park, and two things in Dunfanaghy; a converted workhouse that is a famine museum, and also a natural phenomenon called MacSwiney's Gun, where the tide coming through a blow-hole in the cliff makes a report rather like a cannon.