Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3rd So. Calif. GTG (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3rd-so-calif-gtg-233576/)

Diane Jun 22nd, 2002 10:57 PM

3rd So. Calif. GTG

Discussion has begun about a summer gathering in Southern California. As Art is unable to host at his home this time around (he generously hosted the first two), we are investigating where to meet this time. We're leaning towards meeting at a restaurant at Downtown Disney or at someone's home.<BR><BR>Is anyone willing to host a gathering at his/her home? Please let me know if you prefer a restaurant gathering or a home gathering. Once we figure out the where we can work on the when.<BR><BR>You can respond on this thread or directly to me at [email protected].<BR><BR>Please respond in some fashion at this point so we can see if a gathering is even feasible.

Diane Jun 23rd, 2002 03:17 PM

This has dropped to threat #162 with no responses. Anyone interested?

Michael Snowdon Jun 23rd, 2002 03:47 PM

Huntington Beach, and Disney is fine, will be in Europe from July 1st to 22nd<BR><BR>

Diane Jun 23rd, 2002 10:36 PM

Thanks for responding Michael. Anyone else interested? Granted, the smaller the group, the easier to plan at a restaurant, but it defeats the purpose. Surely there are more people in Southern California who want to participate!

topper Jun 24th, 2002 05:46 AM

to the top

Mina Jun 24th, 2002 09:14 AM

I've been frequenting this board for a few years, but have never been to a GTG...so, if you decide to have one, I think it'd be nice to finally talk travel in person with some of you.

Nancy Jun 24th, 2002 09:15 AM

I think lack of response is because of the weekend. So here I am, I would love to, Downtown Disney sounds good to me, I have not been there yet.

Gina Jun 24th, 2002 09:51 AM

What about one in the midwest, perhaps St. Louis????

Robin Jun 24th, 2002 11:27 AM

Hi Diane--<BR><BR>I met you at Art's first event! I would like to come to another one. I think a restaurant would be fine-- many of the other groups have done it that way. <BR><BR>My email above is legit, or I'll check info here...

Sharon Jun 24th, 2002 01:55 PM

I think a restaurant is better, easier to find usually, and we can order from a menu. If we find a place that would let us talk and linger, Downtown Disney must cater to alot of tourists in groups so we wouldn't stand out and maybe we could get loud!

russ Jun 24th, 2002 02:00 PM

Count in one more So. Cal. Fodorite here. A restaurant sounds fine to me. I hope Art can make it, as I was out of town for for work during his 2 gatherings last year.

ttt Jun 24th, 2002 08:41 PM

ttt

daph Jun 25th, 2002 05:27 PM

Was a date mentioned?<BR>How about some restaurant with free parking that's quiet enough so we can hear each other. DTD charges for parking, doesn't it?

Mina Jun 25th, 2002 08:10 PM

I don't believe this area charges for parking. I've been there a couple of times for business entertaining.

Diane Jun 25th, 2002 08:23 PM

Glad to see some responses. Looks like this is a viable idea.<BR><BR>I went to Downtown Disney on Saturday. Actually, I went to the eBay Convention at the Anaheim Convention Center and met a friend for lunch, so it gave me an opportunity to check things out. I stopped at Catal and the New Orleans restaurant (can't remember the name). Each of them told me that for a group we need to make arrangements with the sales department and they gave me business cards. I'll contact them and see what's what. Only concern I had for the New Orleans restaurant was that if the seating is outside, we will hear music coming from three different areas. Not very conducive for conversation.<BR><BR>My friend works for Disney and we had lunch at the Storeytellers Cafe in the Grand Californian Hotel. She offered her assistance in making the arrangements for us. Regardless of what restaurant we choose, I believe we will have a limited menu. Seeing that we'll be a large group in a restaurant, that may not be a bad idea.<BR><BR>I believe Downtown Disney offers two hours of free parking with restaurant validation. We can get additional parking time if we go to Storeytellers.<BR><BR>I liked Storeytellers because it was quieter than the other two. By lunch time the majority of kiddies were in the parks.<BR><BR>All three restaurants are in the same price range, meaning lunch can be had for under $20 including tax and tip.<BR><BR>My suggestion is that we plan on a Sunday lunch, either July 21 or July 28.<BR><BR>Would like to hear your opinions. I leave this open for several days. Please respond with your choice of restaurant and date.

Trish Jun 25th, 2002 08:23 PM

I think 2 or 3 hours are free with an extra hour w/valid. That is what the DD website says, look under Restaurants.<BR>Another place would be fine though, how about Newport Beach?

Mina Jun 25th, 2002 09:04 PM

I guess I was wrong...only limited free parking. Which makes sense, as I arrived with some friends, but took a cab back to the hotel (so I never noticed the parking thing). Too much partying, I suppose. :)<BR><BR>I've heard the New Orleansish one is decent, but I've never eaten there. I won't cast my vote yet, as I have no idea what my summer travel schedule is yet, and don't want to influence the decision if I'm not going to be there.

Tom Jun 25th, 2002 10:07 PM

Self-Parking<BR>Your first three hours of parking at Downtown Disney District are free. An additional two hours can be validated at AMC Theatres and at table-service dining restaurants. <BR><BR>I'd love to attend, but will be out of town most weekends this summer. Maybe fall would be better, since the tourists crowds will be down.

Diane Jun 26th, 2002 08:43 AM

Topping.

Nancy Jun 26th, 2002 09:18 AM

Fall is fine with me or late summer. I will be out of town the end of Sept to mid Oct. But don't let that influence the votes. <BR>I think D. Disney sounds pretty central to both counties.