Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Single base for a 1.5 to 2 week trip to Ireland. Any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

We will be four adults and one 3 year old child traveling to Ireland in mid-June for 1.5 to 2 weeks. I would like to choose just one or maybe two home bases (self-catering cottage or apt) from which to explore. The priority, obviously, won't be a whirlwind tour of the the country. Instead we'd like to concentrate on one or two areas to experience the culture, the charm and the beauty in a slower-paced fashion. I would want our homebase to be within walking distance of a town center so that we don't have a feeling of isolation, and I don't want to have to drive too much more than an hour from home for day trips.

I haven't done a tremendous amount of preliminary research but the Dingle area sounds appealing. I am open to any and all suggestions, though.

Thanks very much!

Katherine
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 03:52 AM

I would happily spend a week in or near Dingle (and have done so on more than one occasion) but the opportunity cost is that it is out at the end of a peninsula, and you would have to add one hour each way to get off the peninsula and back out again if you wanted to visit other places. If you locate in Dingle, then you should decide that your geographic range is quite limited.

If I wanted a base from which to make a number of excursions, there are other options. I don't like Killarney much, but it has its merits, and is a good centre. Many people like Kenmare, and you can certainly make many good excursions from there.

You could also consider Connemara.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 04:45 AM

With two weeks, I would choose two bases.

If possible, fly into Shannon and out of Dublin.

If flying into Shannon, find a base in Killarney--Killarney National Park, Muckross house and farm museam, Torc Waterfall are all close by and are good for short walks.

Dingle has lots of activities. I have spent a week there. There are good beaches nearby, a chance to see the resident porpoise on a harbor cruise, Dingle itself, Pottery workshops, Blennerville windmill with it's small train that runs into Tralee. However, that said, we were three adults and several of our excursions were farther afield than you might want to drive with three year old.

Then on the other side of the country, base in Kilkenny with its round tower, abbey, St. Canice cathedral, castle and gardens. Drive down to Hook Head and its light house.

Or choose one of the seaside towns such as Bray or Greystones. Both have beaches. Take the train into Dublin for a day (under an hour for either of those towns. Drive to Glendalough and explore the ruins and take a short hike to the lake. Pack a picnic lunch and head up into the Wicklow Hills for an explore. Avoca for craft shops and a taste of Ballykissangel (if you were a fan of that PBS show).

By the way, when I mention beaches, in June it would be for walking only (perhaps some digging for the little one). The air temp is generally not one to make one jump into the waves and the water temp is not warm (unless maybe you are from Labrador). I swam in the Irish Sea once in September and that was just to say I had done it. Thank heavens in one's sixties, one does not have to do the things on a dare as one did in her twenties. These are just a few of many possibilities.

Whatever you choose, it will be wonderful!
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 08:30 AM

I totally agree with heading to Killarney area. There is TONS to do that your 3 year old can do with you. The Kissane Sheep Farm is fun, you can watch a sheepdog working sheep in the rocky hills of the National Park, do a jaunting car trip through Muckross house or the park, do a Seafari trip out of Kenmare and see the wildlife, go to the Geopark around Sneem and find lots of places to explore and climb around-you could easily spend two weeks in the area and not even dent what there is to see.

There are plenty of self catering houses to rent weekly or monthly to base yourself out of. I personally work at the Eclipse Centre, which has self catering houses, fun family activities, and is close to everything. It also has a nice family friendly rural pub just up the street where they don't mind a 3 year old about the place, and it's rare to run into a drunk (just a good old fashioned family pub, rare to find them anymore).
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your input. I'm sure I'll have follow up questions, but you've given me a great place to start. Thanks again!