Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   36 Hours in Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/36-hours-in-venice-1089147/)

actravelgirl Mar 8th, 2016 01:15 PM

36 Hours in Venice

We will be traveling to Venice in mid April with our three children ages 16, 12 & 9. We will have spent 5 full days in Rome and are taking the train, arriving in Venice around 2pm. We are staying near Campo San Maurizio. My thoughts were drop our bags at the hotel, walk over to Piazza San Marco for a snack/gelato and maybe check out the Basilica San Marco for the afternoon. The kids have all asked to take a gondola ride, which I thought would be fun to take to dinner that evening. We then have all day Friday- what do you suggest? On my "list" are Doges Palace, Rialto Market, Peggy Guggenheim, or possibly visit Burano and have lunch there. Would welcome any suggestions or ideas. Thanks in advance!

annhig Mar 8th, 2016 02:15 PM

what do you and your kids like to do, actravelgirl?

you could perhaps see the Doge's palace [have you thought about the secret itineraries tour which you can prebook and takes you down to the dungeons where Casanova amongst others was incarcerated?] as well as the Basilica on your first afternoon. You are only allowed 10 mins or so in the Basilica proper which leaves you with quite a lot of time!

The next morning you could do the Rialto market, then get the boat to Burano and Torcello, see the Basilica and climb the tower there, [the museum is also pretty interesting] having lunch on either island, before going back to Venice.

or spend a day hopping from one part of Venice to another, perhaps starting with Santa Maria della Salute, then getting the boat over to San Giorgio and climb the campanile, then another to the Guidecca and walking along until you can get a boat to the Zattere, go to the Academia, then walk up through Santa Croce [your kids might enjoy Ca Rezzonico with its C18 rooms] and San 'Polo

or ......

Perhaps let each of your kids pick one thing each and plan a day round those?

tuscanlifeedit Mar 8th, 2016 02:27 PM

I am sure that someone here will vehemently disagree with me, but gondola rides are usually on a route. Things like traffic, preferences and tides are probably what influence the gondoliers' choices or routes. Taking one to dinner may be possible, but you might want to arrange it with your hotel ahead of time.

Jean Mar 8th, 2016 02:28 PM

The gondola ride will be somewhat expensive, and the price goes up at 7:00p. The city sets the rates, and you can google for the latest prices.

If you sit at a table in Piazza San Marco for your snack/gelato, it will be expensive. Check menu prices before you sit.

Prioritizing of sights is subjective and depends on your interests. I don't know many kids who would get much out of the Peggy Guggenheim, but you know your kids. I would rather stay in Venice rather than take the time to go to Burano, but that's also your call. I definitely wouldn't go to Burano if it was raining. I think everyone enjoys going to the top of the Campanile. Maybe a half-day walking tour?

actravelgirl Mar 8th, 2016 03:06 PM

Thanks so much for all of your quick responses. We have 2 private tours scheduled during our time in Rome, so I'd rather not book another formal tour. I also would rather put that money towards the gondola ride, which I know will be pricey. I definitely plan to ask the hotel to assist with that.

The Doges Secret Itineraries tour looks cool- plus it's short and not super expensive. They are only scheduled for the early mornings, so I guess we could do that Friday morning before heading over to Rialto Market. Burano seems so idyllic in all of the pictures I've seen and I think the kids would enjoy the ferry ride, but since we only have a short time in Venice, maybe we are better off just exploring Venice. And good advice not to head out there in the rain, thanks Jean!

As for Peggy Guggenheim. my kids all like and have some knowledge of modern art. I used to work at the MOMA and my kids always enjoy visiting there, so that's why I thought they might like the Guggenheim. Plus, it will be a nice change from all of the Roman ruins and Vatican museums we will be seeing earlier in our trip.

NYCFoodSnob Mar 8th, 2016 03:20 PM

<i><font color=#555555>"I definitely plan to ask the hotel to assist with that."</font></i>

It will usually cost you more to deal with a middle man. You get the best deals by negotiating directly with a <i>gondoliere</i>. The further away from San Marco, the better. Try San Tomà or Rio dei S.S. Apostoli.

actravelgirl Mar 8th, 2016 04:11 PM

Thanks NYCFoodSnob-do the gondolieres generally speak English? Also, since I see you live in my city, do you have any Venice dining recs for our family? My older children are great eaters and pretty adventurous. The little one just needs a plate of plain pasta. ;)

ellenem Mar 8th, 2016 04:15 PM

Your family might enjoy a tour of the clock tower in Piazza San Marco, the world's oldest digital clock. You must be able to climb stairs. The tour climbs up the tower, visiting each level of the clock workings, explaining the life of the time keeper and family who lived in the tower with the clock. It ends on the roof next to the figures that hammer the hours on the bell. The tour is available a few times a day in English and takes about an hour.

http://torreorologio.visitmuve.it/en/home/

actravelgirl Mar 8th, 2016 04:21 PM

Thanks ellenem! That looks right up my 12 year old's alley.

ellenem Mar 8th, 2016 04:35 PM

Never mind the kids, my friend and I, definitely adults, loved it. Only about a dozen people on a tour so in busy seasons reservations are a must.

Blueeyedcod Mar 8th, 2016 06:04 PM

The Basilica lines can be a nightmare at the time you plan to visit. I would head there first thing in the morning. See it before the crowds (and you can't take backpacks or bags inside - you need to check them in to the left of the Basilica as you face it).

If you're all Indiana Jones fans, check Campo San Barnaba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Feg1ClZk9s

rialtogrl Mar 8th, 2016 06:22 PM

You can pay 2 euros to skip the line at the Basilica, but you have to book it in advance.

http://www.venetoinside.com/attracti...arks-basilica/

RubyTwins Mar 8th, 2016 07:00 PM

Is a tour needed for the Doges Palace? Is the secret tour worth it? I just looked at ticket prices and it seemed kind of high. Just wondering how much more you will get with a tour.

di2315 Mar 8th, 2016 10:04 PM

We went to the Doges Palace late in the afternoon. Each time we passed by there through the day, the queues were humungus, but late afternoon we just walked straight to the paying counter. We almost had the place to ourselves, so were able to progress through at our own pace.

It rained the entire time we were in Venice, but still we just loved that city! Di

traveller1959 Mar 9th, 2016 12:49 AM

My last visit to Venice was in mid-November. Here a few tips for first-timers:

- There is absolutely no need for guided tours in Venice. The city is so beautiful and full of attractions that you will stumble upon spectacular sights at every corner. Besides, my kids alway got bored on guided tours with lenghty explanations.

- You explore Venice best by combining walking and taking the vaporetti (water buses). Vaporetti rides are both convenient means of transport in Venice and inexpensive sightseeing. Take the northern lines and the southern lines and the lines through the Grand Canal.

- Never, ever sit down in a café at Saint Mark's square. You will lose a fortune. Better walk 200 meters along the Riva degli Schiavoni - there you will pay a fraction of the price and the views are even better.

- The main attractions - Doge's Palace and Basilica - are best visited in the afternoon, after 4 p.m., when the tour buses and cruise ship excursions are gone. The Palazzo Ducale will be open until 7 p.m. (last admission 6 p.m.). Before entering the Palazzo Ducale tell the kids the story of Casanova who was imprisoned in the "lead chambers" and managed to escape through the roof.

- The third main attraction of Venice (a city full with attractions) is IMO the Scuola Grande di San Rocco, very spectacular.

- Eating: Everybody says that restaurants in Venice are mediocre and overpriced. But you may find little gems which serve good food at reasonable prices. The general rule is: the farther away from the main tourist routes, the better. And: the more natives, the better.

One little restaurant is right between the Guggenheim and the Accademia, it is called and called "Al Vecio Forner". Reserve a table (it is tiny!) before visiting the Guggenheim and have lunch afterwards. Have a plate of Venetian hors d'oevres ("Cichetti" - one will feed three people) and panzerotti afterwards.

Another little gem is "Osteria Al Squero", just at one of the best photo spots in Venice: At the Rio San Trovaso, opposite the gondola shipyard. You will see many Venetian students there just eating the hors d'oevres plate with bread for lunch, many of them sitting on the stone wall ove the canal.

We also loved "Ostaria Ae Botti" on Giudecca island, just next to the vaporetto stop Palanca. Excellent seafood (take the raw plate) and probably the best entrecote in Venice! (Do not order pasta here.)

vincenzo32951 Mar 9th, 2016 02:42 AM

Just some random ideas:

While the trip to Burano is worthwhile, you're probably right to skip it, given the short amount of time you have.

For part of one night, consider sitting at one of the outside restaurants in Piazza San Marco and listening to the music under the stars. It's not that expensive for everyone to have a drink and a snack (not a full meal), and the experience is worth it.

Restaurants:
Trattoria da Fiore (not to be confused with the much more expensive Osteria da Fiore). Decent food. Family run. Good Service. Not expensive.

On Giudecca, La Palanca. Outside tables have a great view of the city from across the water.

NYCFoodSnob Mar 9th, 2016 03:36 AM

<i><font color=#555555>"do the gondolieres generally speak English?"</font></i>

Most <i>gondolieri</i> know how to negotiate a price in English, but for many, the conversation ends there.

<i><font color=#555555>"do you have any Venice dining recs for our family?"</font></i>

Sorry, I no longer offer food recommendations on this board. This board is free, and it attracts trolls. There are a few trolls who cherish the game of stalking, criticizing, and negating. I prefer not to feed them.

Not necessarily a troll, but some people say the most laughable things on a travel forum.

<i><font color=#555555>"There is absolutely no need for guided tours in Venice."</font></i>

Your life won't end without one. Your trip won't be ruined if you can't afford one or find the time to squeeze one in. However, if history, art, and architecture are your thing, a private tour with a fabulous art historian in Venice is about the most fantastic experience a traveler could ever have.

<i><font color=#555555>"Never, ever sit down in a café at Saint Mark's square. You will lose a fortune."</font></i>

For some people, it's always about the money and how much of it they will lose. How dull and exhausting.

A drink in one of the special cafes in San Marco is a unique experience, absolute magic at various times of the year. IMO, worth every cent.

<i><font color=#555555>"Everybody says that restaurants in Venice are mediocre and overpriced. But you may find little gems which serve good food at reasonable prices. The general rule is: the farther away from the main tourist routes, the better. And: the more natives, the better."</font></i>

1. The vast majority of restaurants in Venice are mediocre and overpriced. It's the nature of the beast.
2. "Good food at reasonable prices" is relative. It's impossible to judge "good food" by the opinion of an anonymous poster on a travel board.
3. There are good restaurants in every neighborhood, with easy access to all the main tourist sites. If you truly care about your <i>cucina</i> experience in Venice, research is required, and you'll need a lot of patience to sift through the ton of useless noise out there.
4. With all the hungry Italian tourists in Venice, how on earth is any other tourist capable of identifying whether someone at a distant table is a native? Good grief.

<i><font color=#555555>"or possibly visit Burano and have lunch there"</font></i>

April tends to be a rainy month in Venice. The skies can be very dramatic, and there can be a wet chill in the air. If you get a lovely, sunny day, consider yourself lucky.

On a sunny day, Burano has its simple charms, but given the very short amount of time you have, I couldn't imagine stepping away from Venice for one second.

Saraho Mar 9th, 2016 05:25 AM

Vino, Vino restaurant is reasonably priced and so is San Trovaso.

rialtogrl Mar 9th, 2016 07:14 AM

Saraho when was the last time you were in Vino Vino? I wouldn't call it reasonably priced anymore.

Taverna San Trovaso is a good suggestion because there is something for everyone, it would appeal to all ages, and also it would be a cool gondola ride to get there.

traveller1959 Mar 9th, 2016 07:32 AM

NYCFoodSnob:

If you feel the urge to release some aggressive energy, I strongly recommed to post on the "Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses"-thread rather than irritating OP who wants reasonable advice.