Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 Weeks to go - last minute Germany/Switz/Austria questions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 11:50 AM
pc

First - I'd like to thank all of the Fodorites who have helped with their advice on our upcoming trip to Bavaria. We've rented the car thru AutoEurope for a week - awesome price! We've booked our last night in Munich at the Munich Marriott, and we'll be staying in a timesahre in the village of Oberstaufen the rest of the time. Now, the only thing left to do is plan our day-trips - we've already got a few days planned to Neuschwanstein and Oberammergau and area, but we don't know where to go in Austria or Switzerland. Any suggestions? What's doable? Would we be better off seeing small places like St. Gallen, instead of cities like Zurich? How's Innsbruck for a day trip from Oberstaufen? Any and all suggestion appreciated... <BR> <BR>finally, has anyone flown to Munich on United (code-share with Lufthansa) on the 777? Any feedback? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 04:51 PM
Paul/Corina

We could give you thousands of words - what do you like to do? We recco Faulensee, about 20 km fm Interlaken at about a third of the price, on the lake, restaurants/hotels/views - wonderful.Ride a cable car to the highest alp where you might be - Try Garmisch-Partenkirchen and the cog rail up to Zugspitz. Stay in a "zimmer frei" (a B&B German style) super value with breakfast, including eggs. Take a ride on a lake steamer, to the next village or around the lake - have lunch every place - do what the locals do, eat, drink the wine and beer. Switz. is GREAT, Austria too - Germany is wunderbar. You cannot help but enjoy - and the triple seven into Munich is a delight - have breakfast at the airport, good food too. It is a short drive from Munich to Switz/Austria - Stop in the small villages near larger cities - you have a magnificent trip ahead - English <BR>speakers abound - try the wiener chnitzel and apfel strudel - bring a smile - good luck.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 04:57 PM
KK

You did not say what towns you'd be in Austria and Suisse. Innsbruck is a great town. Since you have a car, go from Oberramgau to Reutte. Spend a night at the schlocky farmhouse just outside the town, actually before the town, since you are driving in drom Germany: The <BR>Gutschoff von Schluxen, a real working farm; very good food. The Fussen See is nearby. Also visit Krimml, sight of the highest waterfalls in Europe. Anywhere in the Salzkammergut is good --- I got a suggestion --- make Salzburg the day trip; I was there last fall and it was noisy and dusty with a lot of construction going on. Bad Ischll or St. Georg are great little towns. E-mail me if you want to see pictures of the places. I am not in the pictures so you don't get to see my ugly mug!

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 06:17 PM
Anita

Unless you wish to do serious shopping, visit museums or go to the theater, I'd think you would like a visit to St. Gallen better than Zurich. To begin with, it is closer to Oberstaufen and easier to negotiate traffic-wise. The old town is a pretty neighborhood where you can stroll along the streets - not far from the cathedral whose interior is a baroque masterpiece, as well as the abbey library (Stiftsbibliothek). The main hall of the library is considered the finest rococo room. You might want to include a drive through the neigh- boring Appenzell region on your trip back rather than sticking with the thru- way. It is a very picturesque area. In Stein at the cheese dairy (Schau- <BR>kaeserei) you can observe the production of the famous Appenzell cheese. The loop from St. Gallen via Appenzell-Gais- Stoss to Altstaetten is a distance of about 21 miles. Allow about 2 hours. On a clear day you could go up to the Saentis, 8207ft, by cable car. The view of the Alps is tremendous. Whatever you decide, have a great time and enjoy! <BR>PS. If you drive on Swiss thruways your rental car needs to be equipped with a "vignette" (road tax sticker). It costs 30SFr. and can be obtained at the border crossing.

Old Feb 13th, 2000, 04:33 AM
mast

Dear PC, <BR> <BR>I will be visiting Baavria alps end of the year too. and I intend to choose Garmisch as a base and rent car to explore nearby places. can you give me the AutoEurope website and how much is the price? <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>mast <BR>

Old Feb 13th, 2000, 11:33 AM
Lynn

I wouldn't waste your time in Zurich - it's a large typical city and your time would be better spent in 'charming' small towns. <BR>Rec. going to Salzburg since you'll be so close (from Munich it's only a couple hours). Driving in Austria and Germany is pretty easy. We drove all over Bavaria and it was very scenic and we stayed at B&B's along the way. I used Karen Brown's Guide of Charming Inns and Itineraries and it was a big help in where to go and where to stay. <BR>Good luck and have fun. <BR>Don't miss Rotenburg - touristy, but really charming. <BR>

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 05:06 AM
pc

Mast - the website is www.autoeurope.com, and we're paying $290 (US$)for 1 week rental with complete insurance (CDW, etc.) and snow chains (just in case!) We've requested an Audi A4 - not sure what the chances are we'll actually get it....I think we'll be about 45 minutes from the Garmisch area. <BR> <BR>Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I wasn't crazy about going to Zurich - would much prefer the samll towns. We basically like to wander and explore - taste the culture and enjoy the areas we visit.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 03:19 AM
Paulo

Just a warning, pc! <BR> <BR>The Audi A4 is a very nice car, but ... IMO its trunk space is not at par with the rest of the car. Be sure to carry just enough luggage that'll fit in there <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 05:23 AM
Fred

Hi! If you are staying at the Metro-ferienclub they will have nice day trips <BR>Usually the bus will go to Zurich and another day to the Castles in Howeschangau.Try a trip to Obersdorf and take the tram to the top. Need more info. e-mail <BR>Fred