Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 weeks in Europe...where to go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-weeks-in-europe-where-to-go-425810/)

dsk1969 Apr 26th, 2004 06:00 AM

3 weeks in Europe...where to go?

After traveling to the UK a few times I am thinking of taking my wife on a 3 week trip to the continent of Europe in December. Having never been I am looking for which cities to visit and how long to spend in each.
Thank you in advance!

kaudrey Apr 26th, 2004 06:26 AM

You need to give us more help!

What do you like to do? Do you like big cities, small towns? Do you like to city hop or spend a lot of time in one place? Do you care if the weather is cold? Do you like museums? Would you be open to renting a car or do you want to travel by train, or does it even matter?

People can list their favorite places, but without having any idea of what you are interested in, we can't really help.

I might suggest Italy; or Italy, France and Spain if you like to travel around more;, or Switzerland if you ski; or Eastern Europe if you are on a tighter budget etc. Do you see the problem?

Karen

tcreath Apr 26th, 2004 06:39 AM

I agree with kaudrey. Europe is a big place with so many great places to visit. If you specify what kinds of things you like or hope to do, it would be easier to help.

A lot of people like to visit the big cities like Paris and Rome for their first European vacation. I personally like to mix cities with country to get a better feel for a country.

rex Apr 26th, 2004 06:50 AM

Sometimes the best way to get you to give us the additional info needed, is to be intentionally provocational, and challenge the very notion that you really do want to go to Europe. What makes you think that you would like to go to ("the continent of") Europe at all? What is it that you think can/will find there that you cant/wouldn't find in Aspen, or south Florida, or New Orleans, or New England, or the Caribbean, or San Francisco and the Napa Valley?

This is not meant to say that you shouldn't go to Europe - - but if you can elaborate on what you hope to see/find/experience there - - that you can't get "here" (wherever your "here" is), then it will help to guide you to the best destinations for YOU.

Forsome, an obvious answer to the question is that in (most of the countries on the continent of) Europe, you will find people using (one or more different) languages, other than English. Is that part of the appeal to you? - - it is to me - - but there is a different level/nature of that appeal for France, since I am personally quite comfortable and enchanted with French, versus say... Hungary (where I have never been) - - and where the language is one that I will not likely achieve even modest familiarity without a lengthy and considerable effort. For others, language is neither part of the appeal, nor an obstacle that worries them. They figure out how to enjoy the destinations through limited and/or alternative means of communication.

Perhaps you hope to find living (and/or "dead/well preserved") history, or cuisines, or wines or fashions, or gift shopping that you cannot find "back home". If you have your heart set on Greek or Swedish or Provencal cuisine, well then, it won't do much good to propose Switzerland to you, now will it?

So, close your eyes, and tell "us" what images you see, when you think "I can't wait til I can get to Europe, so that I can ...."

- - and finish that sentence five different ways for us.

Even beter tell us what pictures come to your mind's eye, and "we" will bring back to you some suggestions that make sense for YOU (and your wife).

Best wishes,

Rex

bob_brown Apr 26th, 2004 06:53 AM

Looks like it is guide book buying time.

If you got my slant on it, I would say start in Paris, then Switzerland, across Austria to Vienna. Back through Munich and southern Germany to Amsterdam.
Fly home from Amsterdam.
Or just leave out the rest and spend a week in Paris, a week in Switzerland,
and a week in Austria: fly home from Vienna.

LindaW Apr 26th, 2004 09:40 AM

If you are going back to the UK soon then I would not go to Paris because it is so easy to get there with the train. Paris is a great city and should be explored.
If you like to get a small taste and move on, I would start in Rome, go to Florence, Vienna, Prague and Berlin or the reverse. That is about 3 days in each city with partial days of sight-seeing and travel. If you like to stay in one place longer, then I would start in Berlin, go to Prague, Vienna and Budapest. Travel time is less and the cities have so much to offer.

dsk1969 Apr 26th, 2004 09:50 AM

Thanks to all!
We love London in the UK and will most likely be going back to the places we like in Europe However, the wife says no less than 4 days in one place.
Our favorites in UK so far:
The Tower, Westminster Abbey, Windsor Castle, St. Paul's, Winchester Cathedral, Salsbury cathedral.
We like castles, cathedrals and other historic places. Not so much going for ambiance as to go and see and learn.
Thanks again

dsk1969 Apr 27th, 2004 04:41 AM

Bump

111op Apr 27th, 2004 04:52 AM

A couple of days in the Loire Valley. I haven't been though.

kaudrey Apr 27th, 2004 05:22 AM

Hmmm...

If you like castles, I might suggest the Czech Republic or Germany or Portugal or Scotland and Ireland. But there are castles all over Europe. For cathedrals, Italy and Spain might fit the bill. All of Europe has more/longer history than the US.

If you want to try for better weather, I'd say southern Europe for December. You can easily spend 3 weeks in Italy and Spain, or Italy and southern France, for example.

You could visit the big 3 in Italy - Rome, Florence, and Venice, and then head to Spain and see Barcelona and some other eastern cities in Spain.

Or you could do a Germany, Czech Republic combination.

Read around this board some more to get a feel for the different countries to see what might appeal to you.

Karen

mr_go Apr 27th, 2004 07:07 AM

Why December?

dsk1969 Apr 27th, 2004 09:37 AM

December is the month we both have off. We work the other 11 months.

Kristinelaine Apr 27th, 2004 10:20 AM

December will be great for seeing the Christmas markets in most German cities!