Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 weeks in Europe (Brussels, Prague, Salzburg, Munich, Venice) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-weeks-in-europe-brussels-prague-salzburg-munich-venice-930592/)

emmambles Apr 7th, 2012 06:04 AM

3 weeks in Europe (Brussels, Prague, Salzburg, Munich, Venice)

Hi All

Just after some advice in regards to our planned itinerary to have 3 weeks in Europe. The dates are fixed with arriving into Brussels on the 16/09 & being in Venice on the 05/10 - we have to be back home in Australia on the 09/10 at the latest.

I think what I'm after is advice on if the route is do-able? and are there any offbeat places to see & things to do that may not be listed on the top things to do in each place.

We are easy going travellers, there are just a few things in each city that we want to see at the moment, but will be very happy if we just wander, enjoy the city & eat all day.
Amazing food recommendations are very welcome as well :)

Sep 16: Fly in to Brussels 7am - spend the day recovering from a massive flight from Australia
Sep 17-19: Brussels
Sep 20: Fly to Prague
Sep 21-22: Prague
Sep 23: Train to Salzburg, spend the afternoon exploring the city around us
Sep 24-25: Salzburg, must do the SOM tour (other half will hate that, but who cares, he can have the breweries over the next few days)
Sep 26: Train to Munich or a smaller town in the area (we are thinking we may want to avoid staying in Munich as it's Oktoberfest, due to the cost of accomodation)
Sep 27: Munich or something else around the area
Sep 28: Train to Bamberg
Sep 29: Train to Tegernsee
Sep 30: Tegernsee
Oct 1: Hire a car, drive to Mittenwald
Oct 2: Start driving to Venice (over 2 days) - any suggestions on a route to Venice or places to stay?
Oct 3:Continue driving to Venice
Oct 4: Drive to Venice, drop off car
Oct 5-6: Venice (these dates are fixed & cannot be changed)
Oct 7: Fly back home to Australia from Venice

(sorry if I've missed anything, first time poster on a travel forum)

thanks heaps!

bilboburgler Apr 7th, 2012 06:23 AM

Bamberg needs a second day, the beer is to die for and the old town...Wurzberg is also very pretty and has some fine low alcohol wine
You are bouncing around a fair bit
You are going to Brussels (I guess there is a reason) if I was interested in Beer I'd leave the non-capital and head out to the towns. This gives you an idea of the range but there are some good website that could help. http://www.mybikeguide.co.uk/North_Sea_Drink.php

You are going to Munich (still no idea why anyone goes there given what else is available, though other fodorites think it is great) Dresden/Leipsig/Vienna are sort of enroute.

Mittenwald, are you looking for a cello? I guess you know why you are going.

There are various routes through to Venice. I like the one that almost reaches Davos. Going over the mountain passes and stopping at little villages can be very pleasant.

bilboburgler Apr 7th, 2012 06:25 AM

Where are my manners? Welcome to Fodors.

All above are my views and others will almost certainly disagree. I'd try to keep the question in the top 50 items to the left so that people see you still want more advice.

Good luck and tell us how you get on

scatcat Apr 7th, 2012 07:30 AM

If you have time while you are in Brussels, take the train to Brugge. It is beautiful. about 1 hour by train. I'm a fan of Mittenwald, so I'm with you on that. It is a gorgeous village set in the mountains, painted houses, nice small pedestrian area. It is a small place so mostly just a relaxing time or day trips.

lavandula Apr 7th, 2012 12:45 PM

Hi, a recent good travel report from Brussels is one by Vttraveler - do a search under her name for her recent trip reports. She sees the essentials but goes off the beaten path as well. Highly recommended.

Lavandula

Aramis Apr 7th, 2012 03:16 PM

I t doesn't make much sense to travel from Prague - Salzburg - Munich - Bamberg - Tegernsee.

Bamberg is 2:30 north of Munich but it is due west of Prague. I suggest you travel; Prague - Bamberg - Munich, then rent the car when you leave Munich and do Salzburg - Tegernsee - Mittenwald, etc.

Because of the car rental drop charges it might make sense to stay in the Alps for a day or two extra and then take a train to Venice.

nytraveler Apr 7th, 2012 04:27 PM

Not sure why you are spending 3 full days in Brussels - which IMHO is one of the more boring cities in Europe. Strong suggest you visit or stay in Bruge - visiting Ghent and if yuo like Brussels from there.

Renting a car in Germany and dropping inItaly will be very expensive - not only a drop off fee - but possible very high insurance (since theft in Italy is a major issue).

emmambles Apr 8th, 2012 01:26 AM

Thanks for the advice all.

I'll pass it all onto the other half - I agree with the route being better to go across from Prague & then down, I have to work on it a bit more :)

Appreciate the car rental advice too, I didn't realise that it was going to be so expensive for only 4 days hire, we will definitely revisit that one.

The first & last time I went overseas was to Bali in 2004. I don't get the opportunity to travel overseas often & I want to fit in as many of my travel dream cities as possible in this one trip, as I'm not sure when I'll ever be able to get back :(

Thanks for the post from Vttaveler - bit of a read there, will save and read when I get some time to absorb it all.