Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 week trip to Berlin, Dresden and Prague (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-week-trip-to-berlin-dresden-and-prague-971192/)

zinfanatic Mar 20th, 2013 06:41 AM

3 week trip to Berlin, Dresden and Prague

We prefer to stay put in places and then take side trips instead of moving around too much. With that said how many days in each destination or should we add a fourth destination?
Specifically are there worthwhile side trips from Dresden and Prague? We plan on staying in Berlin at least one week and then from there we are flexible. We are interested in history, architecture and food and markets. My hubby is very interested in WW II history and I have never been to Germany.

msteacher Mar 20th, 2013 07:01 AM

What a delightful trip! Three great cities. You'll probably want fewer nights in Dresden than the 2 larger cities. And yes, I think you could fit a fourth destination in over three weeks if you want to. Others will chime in with more ideas, but Potsdam is easy day trip from Berlin and should please your history-loving hubby.

Michael Mar 20th, 2013 07:36 AM

For Berlin, consider Peter Fritzsche and Karen Hewitt's <u>Berlinwalks</u>, 1994; it's an excellent guidebooks that includes social history when taking the reader through neighborhoods. However, it could use updating in terms of new museums and structures (Topographie des Terrors, the Reichstag, etc.).

jelopez33 Mar 21st, 2013 04:29 AM

Zinfanati.: we were in those cities last june. 5 days in Berlín, a few hours in Dresden and 3 days in Prague.
IMO, you can siendo one or two morse days in Berlín, one or two days in Dresden and one moré days in Prague.
Need les to stay, plenty of time to add another city and for day trips. We loved going. To Potsdan.
Any of those cities will interest your husband, as WW II is always present in diferentes forms.
If you need any other tip,please, let me know.
In berlin, don't miss ant of the histórico suites and of course the museums in the Island are really world clases, as is chocolate,
You will enjoy your trip, is a perfect one( full perfection can be reached if you can add at least There day in Wien .

jelopez33 Mar 21st, 2013 04:38 AM

Soraya for the typos, still adapting to my IPad!!

jelopez33 Mar 21st, 2013 04:39 AM

Ja! Soraya no, I Mena sorry......

adrienne Mar 21st, 2013 05:29 AM

From Prague you can take trips to Kutna Hora and Cesky Krumlov (an overnight in CK would be better than a day trip). I've also heard Karlova Vary mentioned as a day trip but I haven't been there.

Potsdam is a UNESCO sight and is only an hour from Berlin.

I enjoy leisurely travel but I think you have time for one more destination, such as Vienna (and a day trip to Melk). If you fly into Berlin and home from Vienna you can easily see these places in three weeks.

An alternate to Vienna would be Krakow but you would definitely want to fly home from there as train travel takes a long time from Krakow to any place else, except Warsaw.

Aramis Mar 21st, 2013 02:56 PM

From Dresden, you can day trip to the Sachsische Schwiez region south of the city, plus Schloss Pilnitz,, and the fascinating Silesian towns of Goerlitz and Bautzen.

I also think it would make sense to travel to Cesky Krumlov for a couple of nights. It is a long day trip from Prague and it would be a great place to just hang for a few days and regenerate from the larger cities.

You could also consider heading NW of Berlin and check out Hamburg, Lubeck, Schwerin and Stralsund for some Hanseatic flavour.