Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 week honeymoon advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-week-honeymoon-advice-1170968/)

beckett08 Dec 25th, 2016 02:40 PM

3 week honeymoon advice

Looking for some travel advice....

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in Europe, We are planning on going from July 18 to Aug 11 2017. I have been working on a itinerary but it is not easy, I could use some help. haha.
the countries and cities we would like to visit are as follows;
France: Paris July 19-22
Nice July 22-24 (maybe day trip to Monaco)
Italy: Venice July 24-27
Florence July 27-31
Rome July 31- Aug 3
Spain: Barcelona Aug 3-6
Majorca/teneifie Aug 6-9
France: Paris Aug 9-10

I am open to ideas, We are thinking of staying in Airbnbs to cut cost down. which of the islands in Spain are the best?(majorca/teneifie) just a couple i found.. we are coming from Canada so the Paris starting and finishing is because well it is the cheapest airport to fly in and out of. looking forward to hearing peoples opinions. :)

WoinParis Dec 25th, 2016 02:54 PM

Congrats on your wedding.

Some thoughts :
- do check that open jaw (multicity) is really more expensive that going back to Paris which will cost you a day + cost to get back there;
- Very busy period : Nice (the French Riviera) is quite crowded - Italy will be too.
- Do indeed go see Monaco, worth a trip
- take a train from Paris to Nice if you have lots of luggage or fly AirFrance (they have what they call a shuttle); pay attention to other lows cost airlines which can have overcosts for luggage.
- Nice Venezia : I guess a train would be nice.
- Majorca : no idea - always heard it is an island for dance, partying, cocktails and sex.

Globally I would remove at least one destination and put the days to the others - don't forget to count half a day lost each time you move. 8 moves : 4 days. one destination less measn you save 4 day (3 days there and one day to arrive and leaveà and honestly all your destinations deserve at least one day more.
And not going back to Paris saves another half day.

Enjoy your holiday !

Sassafrass Dec 25th, 2016 04:07 PM

No comment on what to keep and what to cut, but your itinerary does not work! You are counting days twice as sightseeing days in two places. Those will not be sightseeing days in either place. They will be travel days. That may be OK with you, but you need to be aware of the enormous amount of travel time all your moving around eats up. Allow time to pack up, get to train station or airport, get through security, actual travel time, then getting from airport or train station to hotel.

Day 1, July 18, depart Canada
Day 2, July 19, arrive Paris. No tours this day because jet lag will hit sometime.
Day 3 & 4 (July 20 & 21). Two (yes, only 2) full days in Paris
Day 5, July 22, travel to Nice, will take at least 1/2 day! So, maybe 1/2 day in Nice.
Day 6, July 23, One (yes, only 1) whole day in Nice - no time for any day trips!
Day 7, July 24, travel to Venice, most of a day!
Day 8 & 9, July 25 & 26, Venice. Two (2) whole days
Day 10, July 27, Travel to Florence, about 1/2 day
Day 11, 12 & 13 July 28, 29, 30, Florence, Three (3) whole days. Are you into Art or planning day trips from Florence?
Day 14, On to Rome,
Etc., etc. You get the idea. After about a week of such a hard pace, you will need some down time, or you will no longer know where you are or care what you are seeing.

Weather. It may not bother you at all, but you are going to some of the hottest places in the hottest countries in Europe at the hottest time of year. It can become wearing, so a fast pace is harder in the heat. At some point, you may yearn for a pool in the afternoon.

When you must return to the arrival airport for departure, you are adding the cost of airfare or trains to backtrack, plus a night wasted before return. In your case, it is also time checking into and out of hotels twice in the same city.

Look at multi-city or multi-destination tickets (not two, one-way). If you absolutely must return to the same airport (say Paris), when you arrive, don't stay there. Push on to the next city and save all time in Paris until the end.

So, reconsider. Perhaps cut some things and include a place or two that is cooler. Look carefully at the order of things to see if what really works best. Allow a day or two of down time.

Sassafrass Dec 25th, 2016 04:09 PM

Read this - twice!
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-travelers.cfm

RonZ Dec 25th, 2016 05:51 PM

I would scrap Nice, which is 5.5 hours from Paris on the train and time-consuming to get ti Italy. You can fly from Paris to Venice on Easyjet.

janisj Dec 25th, 2016 08:06 PM

You can't count any days twice . . . And you have done that seven times. Read and carefully absorb sassafrass' posts.

Then start over.

AJPeabody Dec 26th, 2016 08:49 AM

It's a honeymoon, not a marathon you want. Three weeks, three places. I speak from exact experience.

Back in the days before internets and on-line booking, the newly wed Mrs. P and I did a three week European honeymoon, all but the first 2 nights and the airline tickets on the fly. A week in London (found nice cheap lodging for nights 3 and onward), booked a bargain flight to Paris, found lodging (speaking French helped a lot), train to Amsterdam, day trips by public transit, and home. First and last days and only 2 intermediate days for travel. No pressure, saw sights, ate good food, various entertainments, and we're still married 45 years later.

Come up with a better plan for yourselves. You have time and, heaven knows, the people here love to give advice.

fuzzbucket Dec 26th, 2016 10:26 AM

Most vacation rental apartments in Paris are illegal. If you plan to stay for less than a week, it's entirely possible that the owner will cancel your reservation at the last minute if he has someone willing to pay for a week or more.
AirBnB apartments do not have air-conditioning, which you will definitely need in July.
You can search www.booking.com for moderate to budget-priced hotels which will have air-conditioning and will not cancel at the last minute.

beckett08 Dec 26th, 2016 11:52 AM

Thank you for the advice, we are starting to re think the whole trip and cut a whole country out.

WoinParis Dec 26th, 2016 12:33 PM

Being Beckett I guess you want to see some castles.