Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3-star vs. 4-star hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-star-vs-4-star-hotels-201133/)

Patrick Apr 16th, 2002 05:10 PM

3-star vs. 4-star hotels

I am planning a trip with my wife to Rome, Florence and Venice in June. Can someone tell me what the difference is between a 3-star hotel and a 4-star hotel? If I am looking for a clean, quiet and safe hotel for the purpose of sleeping and showering will a 3-star hotel be OK?

sam Apr 16th, 2002 06:10 PM

Dear Patrick,<BR><BR>DO NOT STAY IN A 3 STAR HOTEL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Harriette Apr 16th, 2002 06:14 PM

We are booked in a 3* for May and although I haven't seen it yet it got good reviews from the rants and raves page at Fodors

sam Apr 16th, 2002 06:14 PM

BECAUSE... they do not have toilets. If you want a toilet you MUST stay in a 4 * hotel. Also, they will not give you any sheets or towels. You will have to supply your own, and they can be a pain to pack--especially when wet. If you or your significant other/s have bladder control problems, both the lack of toilet and sheets could pose a real problem. Good Luck, and be prepared to fork out the bucks. <BR>God bless.

kylie Apr 16th, 2002 06:16 PM

I disagree with Sam. Admittedly, when I stayed in some two star hotels I had to bring my own sheets, towels, and butt tape, but never in a three star hotel. They have everything you need, except the doors do not lock. That's the biggest drawback, but if you're feeling lucky, I say go for it!

mills Apr 16th, 2002 06:35 PM

Obviously the high school sophomores are trying very hard to be amusing on this thread. All three and four star hotels are en suite. The only difference is the price. Even two star hotels can be charming and yes the sheets,towels are included.

Patrick Apr 16th, 2002 07:21 PM

I generally stay in three star hotels and am very happy. As far as I know the main difference between a three and four star is that the four star must have room service and a full restaurant. If those things are important to you, do not stay at a three star.

elaine Apr 17th, 2002 04:36 AM

As the last Patrick says, three stars can be very nice; so can two stars. <BR>If you're choosing between 3 and 4, I often think in terms of value to go for a top 3-star rather than a tired 4-star. These government ratings are complicated. They have nothing to do with location for example, but can be affected by factors such as the size of the lobby, number of hours the front desk is staffed or the bar is open, etc.<BR>An explanation of the government star ratings for hotels: www.umbria.org/eng/turismo/legenda.htm<BR>I think ratings from past hotel guests such as appear on this message board and<BR>elsewhere on this Fodor's website in the hotel sections, can tell you a lot more specifics about a hotel than just the gov't rating.

JBX Apr 17th, 2002 08:45 AM

Patrick:<BR><BR>The star ratings for Italian hotels do not consider several of the elements that a patron may think important. For example, cleanliness & quality of customer service aren't factored into their equation. As you state, you're seeking clean, quiet & safe accommadations --- all can be found in 3-star rated hotels. In addition to looking at commentary on this board, also check the Rants & Raves section.<BR><BR>You can ignore the ramblings of sam. His commentary is incorrect.<BR><BR>

sam Apr 17th, 2002 09:20 AM

I got mixed up. I was thinking that the stars rating meant something like sleeping out under the stars.<BR><BR>Sorry.<BR>